or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV - Page 19

post #271 of 391

..darn, I need more moneyss to try these out..

 

Anyone know where I could find a demo pair of any of the vmoda headphones in the nj area?

post #272 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinvertedsky View Post
 

..darn, I need more moneyss to try these out..

 

Anyone know where I could find a demo pair of any of the vmoda headphones in the nj area?

Some Brookstone Stores carry the M-100. How far are you from NYC? Here you could try AC Gears (LP2, M-100, XS) or B&H Photo (M-80, M-100). That's every V-MODA headphone save for the LP and their IEMs.

post #273 of 391
AC Gear and B&H should have XS now or soon and Microsoft Stores will have June 1. Also another store chain soon TBA. Or V-MODA.com and we have a 60 day test drive guarantee.
Reply
post #274 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton View Post

AC Gear and B&H should have XS now or soon and Microsoft Stores will have June 1. Also another store chain soon TBA. Or V-MODA.com and we have a 60 day test drive guarantee.

...interesting thanks, I'll be sure to check them out!

post #275 of 391

For any other fellow XS owners out there, I'm happy to report that Lindsey Stirling's new album "Shatter Me" sounds glorious on the XS running through my Dragonfly v1. If you're interested in giving it a listen, Pandora is streaming the whole album for a short time.

post #276 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

For any other fellow XS owners out there, I'm happy to report that Lindsey Stirling's new album "Shatter Me" sounds glorious on the XS running through my Dragonfly v1. If you're interested in giving it a listen, Pandora is streaming the whole album for a short time.

Nice!  I am still waiting for my copy from Amazon...

post #277 of 391


Just received the XS this afternoon. Review to follow on my YouTube channel as well as audio360.org
post #278 of 391


Found the m100 at a brookstone in a nearby mall!..too bad they didn't let me use my own source to test them out so I was stuck with the demo song..
post #279 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinvertedsky View Post



Found the m100 at a brookstone in a nearby mall!..too bad they didn't let me use my own source to test them out so I was stuck with the demo song..

Can you unplug the demo unit's audio cable from the driver housing? Bring your own cable next time and give it a try. You'll need a really thin aux jack, though.

post #280 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinvertedsky View Post





Found the m100 at a brookstone in a nearby mall!..too bad they didn't let me use my own source to test them out so I was stuck with the demo song..
Can you unplug the demo unit's audio cable from the driver housing? Bring your own cable next time and give it a try. You'll need a really thin aux jack, though.
Belkin aux jacks work but may scrape the inside of the twist locking system-thing.
Most aux jacks will work, but Belkin off the top of my head will work.

Running the matte black XS x M100 combo! Looking great!
I find that matte m100 is so much easier to maintain than the shadow. It also looks better with brushed metal shields.
post #281 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post
 

Can you unplug the demo unit's audio cable from the driver housing? Bring your own cable next time and give it a try. You'll need a really thin aux jack, though.

..

yeah that's what i was thinking after i plugged the m100 cus the demo music was way too loud and there was no way to adjust the volume

 

first i asked an employee if they could unplug the m100 from the demo station (she kindly said no), the employee offered to check if they had any in stock that they could just unbox for me to try but they were out of stock at the moment..anyways props to brookstone for having decent customer service! 

 

how far deep does the connector go?..the only cable i have is the one from my mdr 1r which is kinda fat.. 

post #282 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinvertedsky View Post
 

..

yeah that's what i was thinking after i plugged the m100 cus the demo music was way too loud and there was no way to adjust the volume

 

first i asked an employee if they could unplug the m100 from the demo station (she kindly said no), the employee offered to check if they had any in stock that they could just unbox for me to try but they were out of stock at the moment..anyways props to brookstone for having decent customer service! 

 

how far deep does the connector go?..the only cable i have is the one from my mdr 1r which is kinda fat.. 

thats pretty good customer services that their will to unbox to let you try lol

 

uhh heres an example of about how thin it needs to be for example this one wouldn't fit

 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251394897131?var=550319580240&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

this one should fit 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261155468256?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

i have similar wire as the one above and it fits soo basically hate to say this as thin as the beats wires would suffice (note i said beats not monster, some monster wires are quite chunky)

post #283 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post

thats pretty good customer services that their will to unbox to let you try lol

uhh heres an example of about how thin it needs to be for example this one wouldn't fit

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251394897131?var=550319580240&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

this one should fit 
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261155468256?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i have similar wire as the one above and it fits soo basically hate to say this as thin as the beats wires would suffice (note i said beats not monster, some monster wires are quite chunky)

Huh, then the 1r cable doesn't even have a chance of fitting!..lol

Well, if I'm gonna buy a new cable (been thinking about replacing the stock one on the 1r anyways)..any idea which one to buy that would also fit the m100/xs?
post #284 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinvertedsky View Post


Huh, then the 1r cable doesn't even have a chance of fitting!..lol

Well, if I'm gonna buy a new cable (been thinking about replacing the stock one on the 1r anyways)..any idea which one to buy that would also fit the m100/xs?

Auvio cable from RadioShack.

FiiO RC-MH1

Any of the Beats cables, comes in Android or iPhone flavors

B&O H6 cable, controls only work on iDevices

NuForce Transient, been hard to find stateside

post #285 of 391

"MUST READ" Review from Macworld just flashed on my Google Alerts...

 

even the URL is interesting:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2148208/gear-we-love-v-moda-XS-is-IS-THE-PORTABLE-ON-EAR-HEADPHONE-TO-BEAT.html

 

Gear We Love: V-MODA's XS portable headphone gets everything right

AT A GLANCE

 

 

There’s a lot of gear out there for your Apple devices, but how do you know which are worth your time and what’s not worth your money? In our Gear We Love column, Macworld’s editors tell you about the products we’re personally using—and loving.

 

As the headphones guy on staff, I see a lot of audio gear. But unless a product is really special, once I’m done testing I go back to my old favorites. V-MODA’s new XS on-ear headphone is one of those special products.

 

Over the past few years, V-MODA has released a number of great headphones that offer the company’s “modern audiophile” sound signature: overall accuracy, but with a bit of bass emphasis for a toe-tapping kick. In addition to great sound quality, these headphones have all been impressively well built, and they’ve had designs that are—at least to my eyes—much more stylish than the typical higher-end headphone. But the XS just may be my favorite of the bunch.

 

The XS essentially takes the acclaimed Crossfade M–80 and improves on it while making it truly portable. The XS has the same sturdy, leather-wrapped headband—which can be pulled and twisted to an astonishing degree without breaking it or affecting its shape—and the same compact earpieces with soft, memory-foam earpads. The metal hinges are rugged, and though the entire package weighs less than seven ounces, it feels like it should be able to handle a good amount of trauma.

 

(V-MODA says the XS has been tested to withstand over 70 drops onto concrete from 1.5 meters, and that it can survive extreme temperatures, humidity, salt spray, and UV rays—in other words, as long as you don’t drop the XS in the pool, it should last a while. The company provides a two-year warranty, and V-MODA’s “Immortal Life Program” promises that if you ever destroy your XS, regardless of the cause, you can get a replacement for half price.)

 

 

The black XS, unfolded, next to its rugged travel case

 

But whereas the Crossfade M–80 is only moderately portable, the XS is specifically aimed at portable use: The earpieces fold up into the headband, allowing the XS to fit into the included hardshell travel case, which is compact enough to fit in even a small laptop bag or backpack. Alternatively, you can use the included carabiner to clip the case to the outside of your bag—the case is sturdy enough to protect the headphones from most reasonable abuse.

 

Another big improvement over the M–80 is the XS’s unique headband design. Whereas a traditional headband rests most of the weight of the headphone on the crown of your head, with gaps on the sides of your head, the XS’s headband is shaped to remove those gaps so the headphone’s weight is distributed more evenly along both the sides and the top of your noggin. The result is both an aesthetic improvement (the headphone looks less bulky) and, more important, a noticeable increase in comfort. With many full-size headphones, the crown of my head eventually gets sore due to the weight resting on that single point; with the XS, I’m able to listen for hours at a time without discomfort.

 

An interesting feature of the XS is that it includes two inputs. At the bottom of each earpiece is a 1/8-inch jack for the included headphone cable, so you can choose to have the cable connected on the left or right. But these jacks can also serve a couple other purposes: You can plug a second audio source into the unused jack—the XS mixes the two inputs—or you can connect a friend’s headphones so that you can both listen to the same source. (The XS ships with two “V-Cork” plugs to cover the extra jack when not in use.)

 

The white XS folded up next to an iPhone (housed in V-MODA’s Verza case/amplifier).

 

Speaking of cables, the XS includes a cloth-covered, Kevlar-reinforced, 4.5-foot headphone cable with inline remote and microphone modules. V-MODA says the cable can withstand over one million bends, but my favorite feature here is that V-MODA separates the mic and remote, placing the mic closer to your mouth for better audio pickup while positioning the remote module farther down the cable to make it easier to reach (and see). I am disappointed, however, that the cable offers only a single-button remote, instead of the company’s nicer three-button version. (You can purchase the three-button version separately.)

 

As for audio performance, V-MODA says the XS improves on the M–80, and though the differences are subtle, I agree. You get treble and midrange that are clear and well balanced (a bit more so, to my ears, than with the M–80), along with bass response that’s tight and deep, but emphasized just enough to get your head bobbing without sounding boomy or bloated. It’s, as V-MODA has appropriately named it, audiophile-grade sound with a modern kick.

 

Noise isolation, on the other hand, is only moderate. It’s good enough to block out a decent amount of external noise, and to keep your music from bothering others, but it’s not as good as with a set of closed, over-ear headphones, or with B&W’s on-ear P5, another on-ear favorite, which uses a unique leather earpad that excels at isolation.

 

However, I came away liking the XS better than the P5 in many ways. The XS folds up into a more-compact travel configuration; it feels more rugged; and though the P5 has a smoother overall sound and better isolation, the XS is a bit more, well, fun to listen to thanks to better top-end detail and that extra kick at the low end.

 

In our review of the V-MODA M–80, R. Matthew Ward called the M–80 “the best pair of sealed, supra-aural [on-ear] headphones I’ve tried.” I think the XS sounds slightly better, its improved headband is more comfortable, and its fold-up design makes it more portable. If you’re looking for a great headphone—great sound, great looks, and great fit—the XS is tough to beat among on-ear models.

 

(The XS is available in matte black or white/silver. As with V-MODA’s other full-size headphones, the metal “shields” on each earpiece are interchangeable and customizable—you can order your own shields with laser-engraved text or logos.)

 

View more now @ V-MODA.com/XS


Edited by valkolton - 4/28/14 at 6:03pm
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV