Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV - Page 12

post #166 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadraxin View Post
 

Gizmodo's review suggests that the Momentum On-Ear is better sounding than the XS, albeit with poorer build quality.

 

 

http://gizmodo.com/v-moda-xs-headphones-review-indestructible-cans-with-r-1551890986

 

 

For those who are privileged to hear both, do you agree that this is true?

 

Also, I know that the Sony MDR-1R is over-ear but how does that compare to the XS with respect to sound, given that the 1R is also around the same $200 price currently.

i'm sorry i have to disagree with that,

i'm a huge fan of the momentum OVER EARs but they're comfort issue (my ears fit inside with some prodding and adjusting) their basically a big ON EAR headphone but they sound phenomenal. the actual ON EAR version was a disappointing but bass was way too emphasized over the mid range. in short is a very perfect V shape signature. the subbass is really good for an on ear headphone but theres just too much of it. the bass gets really overwhelming, to the point of being a droning kind of bass, rather throbbing (if you like it, then go for it, but i hate that kind)

 

 i tried using the eq "bass reducer" on my ipod touch with my fiio e6 amp (no eq setting there) it made the bass still above neutral after that. but the midrange was rather veil sounding to me still

 

the xs don't extend down as far as the momentum on ears, they have more midbass punch than them

 

but despite this midbass prominence the midrange is relatively free of bleed

 

the forwardness of the midrange i think attributes to this. the vocals POP! and are actually immensely enjoyable to listen to compare to the momentum on ears

both male and female (i find female vocals sound better, but this could also attribute to my bias for female vocals =p) 

 

treble the momentum on ears is more extended than the xs. is it clearer? thats up for debate

 

the treble is well controlled on the xs decent extension but because its more skewed towards the bass its would be considered a more dark  or warmer sounding headphone

 

the sound stage i would have to give to the momentums as well

 

the xs is a better all arounder i find 

 

in terms of getting a momentum, the over ear is definitely the one to get! More even sounding, spacious sounding for a closed over ear,bassy for an otherwise balenced headphone (tad loose sounding) non fatiguing treble, great midrange. better isolation.--> if you can get your ears to fit that is! 

post #167 of 384

Hey, sound preference is a very personal thing and maybe for that reviewer, the Momentum On-Ears sound better. It's like arguing whether band X is better than band Y. There is no objectivity in such a discussion. The only concrete things anyone can really assess about such similar products is build quality and accessories. Sure, there are headphones that objectively sound bad when compared to better headphones, but in the realm of good sounding headphones, like the XS and the Momentum On-Ear, this isn't the case. A lot of people enjoy the way these headphones sound. Whether or not one is 'better' than the other is up for the user to decide and that can only happen through personal experience.

 

Here's my take on it.

 

Both are good headphones that sound great. I can say this from personal experience. But, the Momentums (both on-ear and over-ear) have NEVER fit my head correctly, while the XS fits it perfectly. Like Val Kolton says, "The fit is the sound." Beyond fit I like V-MODA's styling and accessories better.

post #168 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post

Hey, sound preference is a very personal thing and maybe for that reviewer, the Momentum On-Ears sound better. It's like arguing whether band X is better than band Y. There is no objectivity in such a discussion. The only concrete things anyone can really assess about such similar products is build quality and accessories. Sure, there are headphones that objectively sound bad when compared to better headphones, but in the realm of good sounding headphones, like the XS and the Momentum On-Ear, this isn't the case. A lot of people enjoy the way these headphones sound. Whether or not one is 'better' than the other is up for the user to decide and that can only happen through personal experience.

Here's my take on it.

Both are good headphones that sound great. I can say this from personal experience. But, the Momentums (both on-ear and over-ear) have NEVER fit my head correctly, while the XS fits it perfectly. Like Val Kolton says, "The fit is the sound." Beyond fit I like V-MODA's styling and accessories better.
Thanks for putting into words what was swirling around my head lately. I totally agree.
post #169 of 384
Has anyone with a large head tried the XS? I purchased the M-100's but had to return them because the ear cups did not extend down far enough to cover my ears. I loved the design and sound so I'm really trying to find something by them that will work. As a size reference the Momentums over ears fit when I extended the cups all the way out.
post #170 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post

Has anyone with a large head tried the XS? I purchased the M-100's but had to return them because the ear cups did not extend down far enough to cover my ears. I loved the design and sound so I'm really trying to find something by them that will work. As a size reference the Momentums over ears fit when I extended the cups all the way out.

Large head. XS fits me fine. However, if the M-100 didn't work for you I'll bet the XS won't either. I use the M-100 at 4 clicks on each arm and the XS at 9.

post #171 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post

Large head. XS fits me fine. However, if the M-100 didn't work for you I'll bet the XS won't either. I use the M-100 at 4 clicks on each arm and the XS at 9.

Thanks, maybe I'll take a run over to B&H to see of they have them on display.
post #172 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post
 

Large head. XS fits me fine. However, if the M-100 didn't work for you I'll bet the XS won't either. I use the M-100 at 4 clicks on each arm and the XS at 9.

heres an interesting question for you since you replied last time i tried extending my headband to 6 instead of 4 (at 3 clicks the headphones were about to fall down when i leaned back on my chair)

 

even with 6 clicks, they "fit" i just had to push the headband more forward. it changes the sound a bit (might be a placebo effect but whatever i'll state my findings, they have a bit less bass, seemingly more treble)

 

is this the way their suppose to worn??

 

right now at 4 clicks the headband is like this shape / with my ear at the bottom of that slash

 

at 6 clicks the headband is more like l a bit straight up

 

i could post some pictures but is on ears the same as concept with iems with a "good seal" = bass  and broken seal = less bass?

 

sounds stupid but i saw some videos regarding the b& w p5 that if you position them a certain way they bring out the treble 

 

 

tbh both are secure i'm headbanging with the 4 clicks and its not moving really

 

with the 5-6 clicks theres a bit of shuffling

 

i can't imagine how some of the pictures of the girls wearing the xs, they don't extend the headband at all! their head must be really small =0

 

seems stupid but i angle the headband slightly backwards from these pictures (i style my hair with wax, clay hair spray, amongst other things)

 

i've never noticed this until today lol

post #173 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post


Thanks, maybe I'll take a run over to B&H to see of they have them on display.

They don't. AC Gears on 8th and Broadway has the XS.

post #174 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

heres an interesting question for you since you replied last time i tried extending my headband to 6 instead of 4 (at 3 clicks the headphones were about to fall down when i leaned back on my chair)

 

even with 6 clicks, they "fit" i just had to push the headband more forward. it changes the sound a bit (might be a placebo effect but whatever i'll state my findings, they have a bit less bass, seemingly more treble)

 

is this the way their suppose to worn??

 

right now at 4 clicks the headband is like this shape / with my ear at the bottom of that slash

 

at 6 clicks the headband is more like l a bit straight up

 

i could post some pictures but is on ears the same as concept with iems with a "good seal" = bass  and broken seal = less bass?

 

sounds stupid but i saw some videos regarding the b& w p5 that if you position them a certain way they bring out the treble 

 

 

tbh both are secure i'm headbanging with the 4 clicks and its not moving really

 

with the 5-6 clicks theres a bit of shuffling

 

i can't imagine how some of the pictures of the girls wearing the xs, they don't extend the headband at all! their head must be really small =0

seems stupid but i angle the headband slightly backwards from these pictures (i style my hair with wax, clay hair spray, amongst other things)

 

i've never noticed this until today lol

I angle mine a little forward on my head. Otherwise it slowly slips off my head if I lean back in a chair. Wearing a hat I have it straight up and down like the models.

post #175 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post

I angle mine a little forward on my head. Otherwise it slowly slips off my head if I lean back in a chair. Wearing a hat I have it straight up and down like the models.

Maybe u dont have as large of a noggin as u thought afterall. U just like it more forward. Im the opposite i like it behind more lowering its interference with my hairstyle. The sound difference i think im hearing is probably a placebo effect.

I guess as long as it doesnt fall off, anything goes? Lol and at 4 clicks slight pointing backwards, moving my head around now, its not moving.
post #176 of 384

Really on the fence about these..........I want to love them sooooooooo bad because of the custom shields and durability. But V-Moda's whole line of headphones have a really bad, closed in soundstage when I compare them to others in that price range and below. Is the XS an improvement there or pretty much the same soundstage as the M-100?

post #177 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
 

Really on the fence about these..........I want to love them sooooooooo bad because of the custom shields and durability. But V-Moda's whole line of headphones have a really bad, closed in soundstage when I compare them to others in that price range and below. Is the XS an improvement there or pretty much the same soundstage as the M-100?

It's bigger than M-80, smaller than M-100.

post #178 of 384
How would you say the soundstage is compared to the Lp/Lp2?
post #179 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

Really on the fence about these..........I want to love them sooooooooo bad because of the custom shields and durability. But V-Moda's whole line of headphones have a really bad, closed in soundstage when I compare them to others in that price range and below. Is the XS an improvement there or pretty much the same soundstage as the M-100?

What headphones would you say soundstage is better?? I wouldnt say either the m100 oe the xs is bad i soundstage by any means. Is it class leading, no but i wouldnt say the soundstage is soo bad its a dealbreaker
post #180 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardstyleLoco96 View Post

How would you say the soundstage is compared to the Lp/Lp2?

I've only heard the LP and LP2 briefly, but the bloated bass on these will make the sound stage smaller. The reason the XS's sound stage sounds bigger than the M-80 is because the mid-bass seems reduced just a bit and the treble is extended a little more. Less bass/More treble = Bigger sound stage.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV