Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Following the successful launch of the initial Trinity range on Kickstarter, Bob (Trinity's CEO and...
REVIEW: ifi Pro iCan Equipment used: Headphones: Sennheiser HD800S, Hifiman Edition X, Hifiman HE-560, AKG K7XX, Audeze LCD-2f, Sennheiser Momentum, HD-650, Oppo PM-2, PM-3, Aurisonics ASG...
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
I have owned the Darkvoice 336SE for a while now, and consider myself a discerning listener/audiophile. My listening setup consists of two KRK RP-5 studio reference monitors, and a KRK RP-10S, and...
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 414
Gear mentioned in this thread:
All of my cables use Canare L-4E5C starquad and Neutrik mini plugs. I find that they're very easy to work with, cheap, and look good to boot.
I used neon red techflex on the cable in the background as it was made for my car and required a bit more durability. I almost got away without using any heatshrink, but after a few weeks, the techflex pulled out from under the rubber tail on the 90-degree Neutrik mini. I think I already posted pictures of it in here.
BTW, thanks for the splitter suggestions. I might just mill something myself. That's some damn expensive plastic from Qables and the viablue is 40mm long, 20mm in dia. Gigantic!
sorry for altering old post..how did you manage to put the neutrik plug together without the threaded body? is glue gun gonna be enough? i doubt that somehow..
but i saw other people have managed to do the same too..
anyone care to share how to do this?
I think this is a little off topic for some but here is a picture a a LOD I just finished making, this is made of Piccolino wire which is made of a silver/ gold Alloy and is said to be the best sounding portable wire you can get and I and many totally agree having actually used it and listened to it.
Here is my DIY Piccolino cable for my customs, I did actually buy it originally as a ready made cable but did not like the 3.5mm jack used and the connectors were also too big so I cut everything off till I was just left with the wire itself and made it again myself.
I have also just managed to get hold of just under 6meters of the Piccolino cable so will be doing a few more DIY projects and will post pictures when done.
If anyone is wondering the Piccolino wire costs between $250 to $300 per meter and it is near impossible to get hold of unless you buy it as a ready made cable.
Here are a few pictures to show how this cable is made, this shows just the wire before the outside clear jacket is taken off.
Here it is after the clear jacket is cut off.
Here it is with the silver/gold sheilding out of the way which exposes the centre conductor which is first covered on this White layer of something which is easily scratched away.
After you have scratched off that White coating you are greeted with this very hard (kapton I think) orange layer which is very hard to cut off without cutting the 6 centre wires, I do it painstakingly with a scalpel.
Once you have managed to cut through the orange layer you are then greeted with 6 very fine silver/gold wires surrounded with this really strong yellow fibre.
You then cut off the orange shielding and the yellow fibres until just left with the 6 centre wires and the shielding wires and you are ready to start soldering.
The above pictures are for the benefit of the people I have previously seen on other threads asking about this wire and the only picture ever posted here previously is similar to my last picture.
Quoting just in case I need this :)
I have always liked the switchcraft jacks but never used them as they are just too long, I need to make a low profile LOD for an amp I have coming and just did not want to use those neutrik right angle jack as they just look ugly to me so I decided to do something about my right angle switchcrafts by shortening them and here are a couple I done next to the full sized jack.
I will post picture of the LOD once I have made it.
EDIT: Started to make the low profile LOD but i cut the wire too long, I did not want to shorten then the wire and waste the bit I would have to throw away as it does cost about $5 for each 1cm of this cable so instead I made a right angled mini to mini with the modified switchcraft jack. Here's a picture.
you can get the switchcraft much shorter than that with a dremel. the neutrik and oyaide can be made much shorter again. dremel again. with the neutrik, leave the connector all assembled and put it in a vice, dremel through the whole barrel with a cutoff wheel about 3mm from the edge of the thread, throw away the bit you cut off, you are now left with a small ring of barrel that is just the thread, no glue needed. add some epoxy to the solder joints to make it more durable and a small piece of heatshrink for strain relief. make sure to sand the sharp edges first, or it will damage the wire sleeving or insulation when you are threading it over the cable
now to frame some pictures to not show the cable and hopefully stay within the rules. I wonder if they would let me post pics if I made a tutorial to do low profile LODs my way?
why dont you tell me what you really think?? better to look 'ugly and cheap' then fall apart and need resoldering regularly (which would require people from all over the world to send them back to me). I use heatshrink for STRAIN RELEIF. unnessecary otherwise. when you make them as small as I do there is nowhere else to put strain relief. there is no clamp, and with the straight barrel there is only 1-2mm of solder tab on all 3 terminals. anyway the switchcraft is the absolute worst mini to use for low profiles, looks good, but there isnt anything low profile about it no matter what you do. I deliberately didnt post pics of the whole cable, you wont see any patched up glued up LOD connectors on mine. but I doubt the pics would get past the MOT guidelines, even to illustrate a point.
You gave me the idea of using the wiki button, hope you don't mind Parrots!
I left the editing open to anybody, please advise if this was a good idea or not, as I was thinking of doing the same for "How to make a Switchcraft plug super short" above, that is super cool as well Qusp.
well considering you cannot get piccolino really anywhere anymore perhaps not the most useful wiki, but cool all the same as its a fiddly process. AFAIK Stevenkelby and jaben do not even have access to it anymore and parrots must have fluked into it or knows someone at the company who had some left over from the production runs.
and yeah the switchcraft is limited by the signal terminals, so cannot be made super short like the neutriks and oyaide (as in the pics I posted), just shorter than what parrots posted
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 10 seconds ago
- › OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program 25 seconds ago
- › DQSM IEM Impressions / Easy Earphones Impressions 27 seconds ago
- › fS: Breeze Audio XMOS U8 USB DDC Bridge Converter USB to SPDIF... 31 seconds ago
- › Trafomatic Head 2 53 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 57 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 58 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE80 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas water resistant sports in-ear monitor by Brooko
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Koolpep
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...