Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
- Hi End Cables
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 1010
Gear mentioned in this thread:
First attempt, mod the DT220 for 3.5mm entry. These sockets look much neater than the old external ring type but take more room inside the shell. Went for a simple braid as the first go.
Going to try a double entry Y-split braid next.
I wanted a new longer cable to listen in the chair in my office. I decided to DIY for my cable based on the great info here. One thing I wanted was to make a cool custom titanium bead for the Y. I do cool custom titanium whistles as a hobby so felt like I could do the beads with a little bit of work.
This is how the project turned out. The bead is ~ 0.8" long and made from 0.45" round 6Al4V titanium. I made two different designs. I used the one with the stippling for my cable and have an extra with the dots. I added some nice sapphire blue anodizing to give it some color.
I ended up ordering the components and assembling the cable - I think the project turned out great. I went with Cardas 4x24 cable, Rean connectors on the Audeze side, and Neutrik for the balanced side.
That splitter looks sick!
There is a discussion of the sonic characteristics of using Kumihimo for headphone cables over on the DIY thread. If anyone is interested, looking for comments there.
WooHoo! I finally finished my balanced Utopia cable.
8 strand mogami W2799
Individually sleeved into ParacordPlanet 95 lb paracord
Bead purchased at a craft recycling store in Colorado Springs (10 for 25 cents, such a deal!)
Sound great to me. Way lighter than stock cable! I love making things. A hobby ain't a hobby unless you make something.
The Lemo connector is tiny, but I found it easier to solder than the HD800 connector. The hole there is wide enough to slide the two 26AWG (effectively 24AWG) wire into. After I soldered the blue, i slid the heat shrink up and melted it. I used a hemostat to hold the wire as I soldered it, which allowed me to hold it close, not burn my fingers, and acted as a heat sink to protect the heat shrink.
Technically I didn't need the bead as the Y of the braid of the 8 strand to 4 strand holds really well, but I like the bead.
Thats the 22Awg OCC Copper with translucent black jacket by Norne Audio
I thought it was a handsome choice, especially for something like the 99 Classic.
Sadly, I'm still waiting on the 3D printed mod to allow 3rd-party 3.5mm plugs to work. Until then, this cable is just eye-candy sitting on my desk.
anywhere that sells a smaller gauge?
tried looking there with no luck. needing it for iems and looking for a 26awg.
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 12 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 12 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 1 minute ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 3 minutes ago
- › IC Bowers and Wilkins P9 - MINT 3 minutes ago
- › Zero Zone PNP 2SA121 JHL1969 Single-ended Class A power amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › Stax 009 - best amps 5 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH -600 or Sony MDR Z7 - which one to go for 6 minutes ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 7 minutes ago
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear