or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 913

post #13681 of 15065


post #13682 of 15065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

 

Very nice :tongue_smile:. What sort of wire is that?

post #13683 of 15065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

 

Very nice work. I need to get around to making an adapter like this so I can use my headphones with more gear.

post #13684 of 15065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Room40 View Post

Very nice tongue_smile.gif . What sort of wire is that?

It's a silver plated occ copper 6n grade cable. I believe its 26awg.
post #13685 of 15065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

It's a silver plated occ copper 6n grade cable. I believe its 26awg.

From which supplier? Nice braiding btw.
post #13686 of 15065

it kind of looks like BTG wire, but i could be mistaken...and yes, very nice braid. is that 8-strand?

post #13687 of 15065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

From which supplier? Nice braiding btw.

I bought it from gd-parts ebay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=320998604353 (not exact but here is the link)

I made 4,6 and 8 braid cables but the best one is 8 wires braiding.
There are only 7 strands so its very stiff. Good for interconnects but bit hard for iems or headphones unless you like alo style (stiff) cables smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Canadian411 - 6/1/14 at 5:44pm
post #13688 of 15065
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

it kind of looks like BTG wire, but i could be mistaken...and yes, very nice braid. is that 8-strand?

Ya its 8 strand round pattern.
I used kumihimo to hold the wires.

Its pretty hard to do with only 10 fingers. smily_headphones1.gif
post #13689 of 15065

Sorry if this has been answered before but is there a recommended brand or type of wire to use if I want to make my own headphone or line-in connector. I mainly want to avoid the annoying enamel coated ones where after minimal flexing the coating rubs off and you get a short.

 

For a cheap cable, would it work if I used some RJ45 cable and soldered 3 of the wires, or will they not handle the flexing?

 

 

 

So far I am not looking for anything high end, just trying to fix some cheap headphones that I use on the go.

post #13690 of 15065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor512 View Post

Sorry if this has been answered before but is there a recommended brand or type of wire to use if I want to make my own headphone or line-in connector. I mainly want to avoid the annoying enamel coated ones where after minimal flexing the coating rubs off and you get a short.

For a cheap cable, would it work if I used some RJ45 cable and soldered 3 of the wires, or will they not handle the flexing?



So far I am not looking for anything high end, just trying to fix some cheap headphones that I use on the go.

Mogamis are cheap 5 ft for less than $5 and you have 4 wires in teflon.

I bought it for my hd800 project.
post #13691 of 15065
post #13692 of 15065

yeah, either of those cables work fine for a simple project. i'm assuming you want the individual wires and don't need the sheathing around it right? if you want to use the whole cable for a re-cabling job for your headphones, you will need at least three internal wires (for single entry headphones) and four wires for dual entry headphones. 

post #13693 of 15065

I think this should be posted in the Q&A but you can get it from REDCO, it's cheaper.

 

If you are looking for 2447 and 2549, (for aux cables, single)

http://www.redco.com/Mogami-Standard-Microphone-Cable/

 

For headphones, use quad cable

http://www.redco.com/Bulk-Quad-Microphone-Cable/

post #13694 of 15065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post


Mogamis are cheap 5 ft for less than $5 and you have 4 wires in teflon.

I bought it for my hd800 project.

 

It's Cross-Linked polyethylene, which is good because it's more supple than teflon but still fairly heat resistant for soldering purposes.

post #13695 of 15065
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post

It's Cross-Linked polyethylene, which is good because it's more supple than teflon but still fairly heat resistant for soldering purposes.

Haha I can't tell but you are right its not a teflon. I really like migamis.

I bought many many diy occ copper/silver plated but mogami will do pretty much all.

And to be honest I cannot tell the diff between ofc and occ cable.
Edited by Canadian411 - 6/2/14 at 4:02pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!