Signal cables should be shielded, it's bad practice not to. Headphone cables don't require shielding.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Hi End Cables
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 899
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Does that mean if I make a 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect, the ground isn't all that necessary? Meaning I can run just two wires?
(Just curious, and sorry for the lack of cable knowledge:)
You have to have a ground wire for the cable to work. 3 wire (conductor) minimum for a mini-mini.
Questions are better answered HERE.
No. Each channel,L /R has.a positive and negative polarity each,and they are terminated at both ends of the voice coil.
My first DIY Audeze cable using 22 gauge solid silver wire in 19 guage teflon tubing using a litz braid terminated using a viablue jack, and amphenol mini xlrs, viablue splitter and viablue cable sleeving. I went for durability and used a ton of heat shrink, this cable should last forever. Also the amphenol mini's are tough to work with, go with Neutriks. Next its silver interconnects for my Asgard 2.
just picked up an he-500 and hate the stock cable (seriously, THAT cable for an $800-900 list price headphone??). so i just made one with some materials i already had - canare cable w/out sheathing, litz braid. terminated with neutrik 4-pin xlr. covered in steel grey 550 paracord. viablue y-split, which is kind of big for the 6 ft. cable, but isn't really that heavy. actually complements the xlr connector pretty well. the parts that connect to the headphone haven't been finished b/c i'm waiting for some red heatshrink to arrive before sealing everything up. other than that, works/sounds pretty good.
up next: finishing up my hd-800 cable.
Edited by kugino - 4/25/14 at 3:52pm
My latest 3.5 interconnect. I started using BTG Audio wire. This is the 26 AWG clear LLDPE silver plated copper wire and some neutriks.
This stuff is awesome. Very smooth and flexible.
Edited by luisdent - 4/27/14 at 3:40pm
nice! i've used BTG's wires for my DIY cables, too. good price/performance.
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- › MHDT Havana DAC 7 seconds ago
- › Ok so I started making the move to better sound quality headphones... 7 seconds ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 16 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Highend Headphones Showroom Launch Party (UK) September 27th! 2 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for headphones, not bright or fatiguing 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-07-30 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by freedom04
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ZapX629
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)