Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 888

post #13306 of 13875

I am about to embark on my first re-cable for my D2000's. I have everything but the splitter. I have looked online, searched the forums, and tried to figure out how to reuse the existing piece. All no go. Anyone have an idea where to pick up splitters for the Y in the cable?

post #13307 of 13875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconnor72 View Post

I am about to embark on my first re-cable for my D2000's. I have everything but the splitter. I have looked online, searched the forums, and tried to figure out how to reuse the existing piece. All no go. Anyone have an idea where to pick up splitters for the Y in the cable?

Ask that question in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/1470
This one is meant to be a gallery for custom cable pictures.
post #13308 of 13875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconnor72 View Post
 

I am about to embark on my first re-cable for my D2000's. I have everything but the splitter. I have looked online, searched the forums, and tried to figure out how to reuse the existing piece. All no go. Anyone have an idea where to pick up splitters for the Y in the cable?

 

I recently recabled my D2K using this splitter bought from Qables. But I don't see why you can't reuse the splitter for the stock cable. I saved mine for future use after I pulled out the cables and cleaned the holes.

post #13309 of 13875

My bad...thanks for the tip.

post #13310 of 13875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

 

I recently recabled my D2K using this splitter bought from Qables. But I don't see why you can't reuse the splitter for the stock cable. I saved mine for future use after I pulled out the cables and cleaned the holes.

Thank you!!

post #13311 of 13875

Another "Oyaide is the best!" cable. 

 

 

 This is two strands of HPC-24S.  It is a 2-conductor shielded cable with 24awg PCOCC-A conductors, silver plated OFC spiral shield, and silk filament as the dampening material.  Super compact cable that really is nice to handle.  Oyaide uses this wire as the basis of its official HD800 cable.  This cable uses two runs of the cable so that each channel is fully shielded and separated from the other for the length of the cable. Same concept as the DHC Complement but obviously not as big or luxurious.  Rhodium plated right angled Oyaide at one end, and two rhodium plated RCA plugs.  These were OEMd by Vampire Wire for some undisclosed audio company that either cancelled the order or went out of business before receiving it.  I used to live literally around the corner from Vampire Wire and went there looking for scraps to play with when I came across these.  They are my favorite plug ever.  While not PCOCC like the Furutech's I like, they are nice and heavy with a really thick, textured plate of rhodium that just screams quality.  Neutrik style clamp inside instead of an overbuilt body makes them a cinch to use.  I wish I had been able to buy more so I could hoard them for future cables, but at the time the $8 a piece (half retail I think), was a huge stretch for me.  Anyways, I dislike the heatshrink I had to use on the mini plug, but it was the only real way to reinforce the joint, as the barrel doesn't come down very much from the strain relief which doesn't clamp the wires well enough for my liking.


Edited by FraGGleR - 3/2/14 at 3:21pm
post #13312 of 13875

a few things:

 

1. cut the crazy long cable on the stock D7000 cable and re-terminated with balanced neutrik plug.

2. used the 1/4" end to make a balanced->1/4" adapter (and still have about 2 ft. of stock cable left)

3. made a travel cable for the Alpha Dogs using 26AWG XLPE wire from BTG audio. braided it myself and terminated it with a switchcraft black 1/8" mini plug. i only used the materials i had laying around, so i had to use the red and white heatshrink for the L/R indicators. the y-split is terribly ugly, but works. since the cable is so thin, one piece of heatshrink was all the y-split needed. NOTE: the connecting pins on the adapters are very very tiny and a PITA to solder. i don't think i'll be making any more in the near or distant future.

4. i had some leftover cable from the Alpha Dogs cable, so i made a balanced->mini adapter. don't know when i'd ever use it, but i have one now! :)

 

i have one grado sr60 that needs cable work...and i hope that's the last i have to do because honestly, though i like the satisfaction of building something cool and useful, cables are very tedious work. but on to the pics!

 

 

 

 

 

post #13313 of 13875

What is the point of doing 3.5mm to XLR ?  The 3.5mm plug negates any advantage of the XLR. The whole point of XLR is that all the pins are separate and due to this won't cause any interference. 

 

And trust me I'm saying this from experience. I had a 3.5mm to dual XLR for my speakers and caused major interferences. I tried every 3.5mm audio card I could get my hands on and nothing. I went to 2x XLR to XLR  and all the inference was gone. 


Edited by Folex - 3/2/14 at 6:46pm
post #13314 of 13875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

a few things:

 

1. cut the crazy long cable on the stock D7000 cable and re-terminated with balanced neutrik plug.

2. used the 1/4" end to make a balanced->1/4" adapter (and still have about 2 ft. of stock cable left)

3. made a travel cable for the Alpha Dogs using 26AWG XLPE wire from BTG audio. braided it myself and terminated it with a switchcraft black 1/8" mini plug. i only used the materials i had laying around, so i had to use the red and white heatshrink for the L/R indicators. the y-split is terribly ugly, but works. since the cable is so thin, one piece of heatshrink was all the y-split needed. NOTE: the connecting pins on the adapters are very very tiny and a PITA to solder. i don't think i'll be making any more in the near or distant future.

4. i had some leftover cable from the Alpha Dogs cable, so i made a balanced->mini adapter. don't know when i'd ever use it, but i have one now! :)

 

i have one grado sr60 that needs cable work...and i hope that's the last i have to do because honestly, though i like the satisfaction of building something cool and useful, cables are very tedious work. but on to the pics!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Happy to see that you used Switchcraft mini plug.

post #13315 of 13875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconnor72 View Post

I am about to embark on my first re-cable for my D2000's. I have everything but the splitter. I have looked online, searched the forums, and tried to figure out how to reuse the existing piece. All no go. Anyone have an idea where to pick up splitters for the Y in the cable?

Late, but check this thread also:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/537117/the-y-split-thread/30#post_10317762
post #13316 of 13875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folex View Post
 

What is the point of doing 3.5mm to XLR ?  The 3.5mm plug negates any advantage of the XLR. The whole point of XLR is that all the pins are separate and due to this won't cause any interference. 

 

And trust me I'm saying this from experience. I had a 3.5mm to dual XLR for my speakers and caused major interferences. I tried every 3.5mm audio card I could get my hands on and nothing. I went to 2x XLR to XLR  and all the inference was gone. 

because it's not mini->XLR. it's XLR->mini.

 

like i said, i doubt that i'd use it all that often, but i do have some portable amps that only have mini plugs...and if i want to use my balanced headphones with them, then it's the perfect adapter cable to have. 

post #13317 of 13875
I'm still mad at Dan for picking the connectors he did. He was a DIYer before he went pro! Why oh why didn't he go with mini XLR?
post #13318 of 13875

Technically there are good arguments about the lemos/hirose connectors being superior, but from a diy perspective... ugh.

post #13319 of 13875

I'm trying to pick one of these balanced out female panel mounts up so I can get it, mount it and make a cable to go in it....as yet, no luck searching google/ebay for it. Anyone know what it is called, and if it is better in theory than the Hirose panel mounts/cable connectors ?

I want to re-direct the taps cables at back to front or similar idea for a mobile amp mod.


Edited by Lohb - 3/3/14 at 2:30am
post #13320 of 13875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

a few things:

 

1. cut the crazy long cable on the stock D7000 cable and re-terminated with balanced neutrik plug.

2. used the 1/4" end to make a balanced->1/4" adapter (and still have about 2 ft. of stock cable left)

3. made a travel cable for the Alpha Dogs using 26AWG XLPE wire from BTG audio. braided it myself and terminated it with a switchcraft black 1/8" mini plug. i only used the materials i had laying around, so i had to use the red and white heatshrink for the L/R indicators. the y-split is terribly ugly, but works. since the cable is so thin, one piece of heatshrink was all the y-split needed. NOTE: the connecting pins on the adapters are very very tiny and a PITA to solder. i don't think i'll be making any more in the near or distant future.

4. i had some leftover cable from the Alpha Dogs cable, so i made a balanced->mini adapter. don't know when i'd ever use it, but i have one now! :)

 

i have one grado sr60 that needs cable work...and i hope that's the last i have to do because honestly, though i like the satisfaction of building something cool and useful, cables are very tedious work. but on to the pics!

 

 

 

 

 

Did you use the multimeter to figure out which of two black D7000 conductors are for left and right ground ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!