Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 868

post #13006 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by funch View Post
 

Once you finish wrapping them, you have to connect the free ends to whatever they are connecting to. They won't just stay together on their own.

 

Before you solder the ends though, just hold them together and move the cable around. If gaps appear between the two wires, then you probably

need to redo them a little tighter. Just give it a try. I think you will see what I mean.

 

I just don't get it.  My brain is having an epic fail.  I can connect the cables at one end, twist them any way I can think of, connect them at the other end, and they just come untwisted...  I read somewhere that you need to twist each cable counterclockwise around the other, but I don't see how there's any way to twist them other than "around each other".  :-P  Can someone draw pictures or something? haha.  Or are some cables not twistable?

 

UPDATE:  o.k.  My mind was just BLOWN!!!  I connected the wire with electrical tape (as a test), twisted them snug but not tightly as you said, sealed the other end with tape... AND THEY DON'T UNTWIST!!!  I don't get it.  How is that any different than taping both ends and then spinning the whole thing as if you're wringing out a towel?  Unreal. hahaha

 

UPDATE #2:  I think I figured it out.  When I taped one end and used my hands I was actually wrapping one cable around the other.  So one of the cables was essentially remaining straight.  Not literally, but I wasn't effectively wrapping that cable in any way, it was the stationary point I wrapped the other one around.  I was thinking in my head it was logically the same thing as wrapping the other one the other way, because when I was done they looked the same.

 

However, when I did it the last time and taped the first end, I held it between my knees and actually did a "left, right, left, right" wrapping of each cable equally.  So I'm thinking maybe that made a difference?  I'm not sure.  But it worked!

 

Thanks a million!  Pardon my stupidity.

Please keep the discussion in the Questions and answers thread.

More pics to the gallery!

post #13007 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXSS View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by funch View Post
 

Once you finish wrapping them, you have to connect the free ends to whatever they are connecting to. They won't just stay together on their own.

 

Before you solder the ends though, just hold them together and move the cable around. If gaps appear between the two wires, then you probably

need to redo them a little tighter. Just give it a try. I think you will see what I mean.

 

I just don't get it.  My brain is having an epic fail.  I can connect the cables at one end, twist them any way I can think of, connect them at the other end, and they just come untwisted...  I read somewhere that you need to twist each cable counterclockwise around the other, but I don't see how there's any way to twist them other than "around each other".  :-P  Can someone draw pictures or something? haha.  Or are some cables not twistable?

 

UPDATE:  o.k.  My mind was just BLOWN!!!  I connected the wire with electrical tape (as a test), twisted them snug but not tightly as you said, sealed the other end with tape... AND THEY DON'T UNTWIST!!!  I don't get it.  How is that any different than taping both ends and then spinning the whole thing as if you're wringing out a towel?  Unreal. hahaha

 

UPDATE #2:  I think I figured it out.  When I taped one end and used my hands I was actually wrapping one cable around the other.  So one of the cables was essentially remaining straight.  Not literally, but I wasn't effectively wrapping that cable in any way, it was the stationary point I wrapped the other one around.  I was thinking in my head it was logically the same thing as wrapping the other one the other way, because when I was done they looked the same.

 

However, when I did it the last time and taped the first end, I held it between my knees and actually did a "left, right, left, right" wrapping of each cable equally.  So I'm thinking maybe that made a difference?  I'm not sure.  But it worked!

 

Thanks a million!  Pardon my stupidity.

Please keep the discussion in the Questions and answers thread.

More pics to the gallery!

 

Sorry, I posted it here because I thought diy cablers would have a better idea than others.  All set now.  On with the cable photos!  I'll post mine when I'm done my recable. :)

post #13008 of 13812
Quick phone PIC of a 10ft Sennheiser HD6XX cable I made (will post more when taken properly)

post #13009 of 13812

What wire did you use?  10' must be spendy....

post #13010 of 13812
Toxic cables copper. 24awg I think. Around £40 in cable + £15 for HD connectors + £4 for the jack. Can't remember the price of y-split
post #13011 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostewart View Post

Toxic cables copper. 24awg I think. Around £40 in cable + £15 for HD connectors + £4 for the jack. Can't remember the price of y-split

I think there about £12 ish.

post #13012 of 13812
So not to much in total really smily_headphones1.gif more the time and patience, I really enjoy making them. Will be making a bunch so lots of pics to come. RCA to mini jack, RCA-RCA, LOD + mini-mini.
post #13013 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsand gears View Post
 

I think there about £12 ish.

£7.50 actually.

 

Oh, i thought you meant the HD650 connectors.

 

The Y splitters are £12.


Edited by Toxic Cables - 12/10/13 at 9:57am

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #13014 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnB180 View Post

finished this pair. very gorgeous IMHO. looks very good in real life. better then the photos.

 

Really old post, but those are super sexy.  Where did you get that grey heat shrink?  

post #13015 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

Really old post, but those are super sexy.  Where did you get that grey heat shrink?  


RnB180 hasn't been online here in over two years... You might wait a while for that answer... :D

post #13016 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

Really old post, but those are super sexy.  Where did you get that grey heat shrink?  


RnB180 hasn't been online here in over two years... You might wait a while for that answer... :D

 

:-P   Oh well.  Still sexy. ;)

post #13017 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnB180 View Post

finished this pair. very gorgeous IMHO. looks very good in real life. better then the photos.

 

Really old post, but those are super sexy.  Where did you get that grey heat shrink?  

 

As others have said, you may wait a while for a response from the OP - but a quick Google search for 'grey heat shrink tubing' gave me lots of results.

 

Dale

post #13018 of 13812

A new balanced Hifiman cable.

 

 

post #13019 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

Maybe that's my problem.  The cable I'm using doesn't really seem to have any memory.  It just flubs around.  If I twist it gently or tightly it just flops untwisted... So the only way to keep it twisted is by the wire's memory?  There's no other technique to somehow keep them twisted permanently?  Because even twists from memory of the cable would come untwisted it you spun them with your hand, right?  I don't want that.

It confuses me that if you got both ends tied/soldered/heatshrinked how could it untwist?

ultimate solution: heatshrink the whole wire.

post #13020 of 13812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcluxun View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

 

Maybe that's my problem.  The cable I'm using doesn't really seem to have any memory.  It just flubs around.  If I twist it gently or tightly it just flops untwisted... So the only way to keep it twisted is by the wire's memory?  There's no other technique to somehow keep them twisted permanently?  Because even twists from memory of the cable would come untwisted it you spun them with your hand, right?  I don't want that.
It confuses me that if you got both ends tied/soldered/heatshrinked how could it untwist?
ultimate solution: heatshrink the whole wire.
It's all good. I think it had to do with equally twisting each cable and not doing it in a way that results almost with one wrapped around the other. Once bound at the ends it definitely stayed twisted. I'll post pics of my mh1 recable once it' s finished.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!