Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 837

post #12541 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

Where and what normally do you guys buy the wires used for headphone recabling? Some info is greatly appreciated.

I went to redco.com and bought mogami 2534 and stripped it down for the wires, but that's just me...

post #12542 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

Where and what normally do you guys buy the wires used for headphone recabling? Some info is greatly appreciated.

A lot of people swear by navships, a seller on eBay.
post #12543 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post


A lot of people swear by navships, a seller on eBay.

Just wanted to chime in on this... First time using navships and yeah the cable is somewhat nice, but it was coiled in a weird way for shipping or something because after I braided the 4 strands of #26 AWG SPOFC the cable had memory... even still... It wont bend certain ways and it always wants to coil and bend on its own. Probably my fault though.

post #12544 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

I plan on twisting each pair of conductors together until the Y-split when they will become a 4-strand round braid. The heatshrink on the connector end and Y-split, as well as the soldered connections will be enough to hold the twist in place. If for some reason that doesn't work out(but it will), then I can add small pieces of clear heatshrink along the twist. 

Pretty much the same way many CIEM cables are made by all the usual names. Just take a look at a few companies that make the cables and you'll get the picture. 

 

Or I could just sleeve the whole thing and not worry about it at all. Though even sleeving I would still do it the same before adding the sleeve. That's just me though. 

Basically what Omark12 said. 

 

The Navships will be super cheap, no doubt. I've actually done a recable of some Monoprice 9927s with it just for the lawlz and practice soldering to drivers. I've also used it to practice more difficult braids first. The problem is that it isn't the most comfortable or flexible wire. It's fairly stiff and the insulation is anything but soft. It has a very "wirey" feel to it and memory prone. It just doesn't feel that comfortable over the ear in particular. I think as long as you have something like sleeving, and ear guide, or maybe clear heatshrink around the part that will touch over your ear, it'll be fine.  YMMV of course. 

Thanks so much for your input. I have to say, those 28 AWG 7N Pure UP-OCC cables look really nice. However I have zero experience in braiding cables. 

Luckily the CEO of cosmic ears read my pleas on head-fi and wants to send me some cables he was working on. So no need for me to buy interconnects etc! 

post #12545 of 13832
Nice. Phil is pretty awesome. Hope I can get him to do something similar when I order from him soon.
post #12546 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Thanks so much for your input. I have to say, those 28 AWG 7N Pure UP-OCC cables look really nice. However I have zero experience in braiding cables. 

Luckily the CEO of cosmic ears read my pleas on head-fi and wants to send me some cables he was working on. So no need for me to buy interconnects etc! 

Note to self: Sound needy on Head-Fi

post #12547 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark12 View Post

Note to self: Sound needy on Head-Fi

Not too needy though, just needy enough!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

Nice. Phil is pretty awesome. Hope I can get him to do something similar when I order from him soon.

Yeah I hope so too, but the aftermarket cables are almost done though...

post #12548 of 13832

Getting back to what this thread really is about and the intent of the thread.  

 

It's a cable GALLERY !!!  View and enjoy!

 

The Sennheiser Cable with Burgundy Paracord and Canare Cable:

 

 

 

 

HifiMan Multi-Print Paracord with Canare Cable:

 

 

 

Royal Blue Paracord and Canare Cable for the Sennheiser:

 

 

 

 

 

Cable OCD !!  (Only 1 stock cable in the picture - the HifiMan Canare cable):

 

 

 

Keep the pictures coming!  More to follow a bit later from me ...

post #12549 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Getting back to what this thread really is about and the intent of the thread.  

 

It's a cable GALLERY !!!  View and enjoy!

 

The Sennheiser Cable with Burgundy Paracord and Canare Cable:

 

 

 

 

HifiMan Multi-Print Paracord with Canare Cable:

 

 

 

Royal Blue Paracord and Canare Cable for the Sennheiser:

 

 

 

 

 

Cable OCD !!  (Only 1 stock cable in the picture - the HifiMan Canare cable):

 

 

 

Keep the pictures coming!  More to follow a bit later from me ...


hey wje... where you buy paracord ?

post #12550 of 13832

Being lazy (it's has most likely been mentioned here before) I have a question.

What is the best sonic and still flexible DIY cable for the sennheiser HD600? And can you recommend where to buy it with reasonable shipping cost to the Netherlands? Most likely someone has done some experimenting. 

Thanks in advance smily_headphones1.gif

post #12551 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaf View Post

Being lazy (it's has most likely been mentioned here before) I have a question.

What is the best sonic and still flexible DIY cable for the sennheiser HD600? And can you recommend where to buy it with reasonable shipping cost to the Netherlands? Most likely someone has done some experimenting. 

Thanks in advance smily_headphones1.gif

 

Classic Nucleotide.  Plussoundaudio and artemiscables seem to have some fine stuff on them, no idea about shipping but they do ship overseas.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post


A lot of people swear by navships, a seller on eBay.

 

Too stiff.  I don't like their sound one bit, either.

post #12552 of 13832

Hey guys, I know a million people have asked this question, but I am going to ask again. 

 

I just got some HD600s. I have already purchased the HD650 cardas connectors and a neutrik 1/4th inch plug. 

 

I am looking for some cheap and decent cable. I am trying to make a 10 foot cable for 30 bucks total, so I am willing to spend 20 bucks on wire. 

 

I am trying to avoid buying crap, but I am still trying to find something better than a stock HD600 cable. 

 

Am I stuck spending 40 bucks on the basic plussound copper wire, or is there another option? 

post #12553 of 13832

More Cable Pictures ...

 

Another cable.  A Canare cable with black paracord.  A 1/4" Amphenol connector.  Ironically, I've had a bit more success with Amphenol as opposed to Neutrik lately.  The Amphenol seems to have a tighter tolerance with the 1/4" plug itself.  The Neutrik apparently had a looser tolerance and some would tend to be a bit "sloppy" when inserted into my female headphone jacks.  The Neutrik had a bit more play if you would jiggle the connector a bit.  The Amphenol, on the other hand, fit a bit tighter.  I really love Neutrik due to their design and they are a gem to work with.  However, I guess I was a bit bothered recently from my personal situation with them.

 

 

 

 

A Sennheiser cable - 7' in length.  Canare cable.  Acrolink Sennheiser pin connectors and a 1/4" Ampenol TRS plug.  The color of the paracord is referred to as "B-Spec".    I was able to find it on Ebay.  To me, it's a pretty sharp cable sleeve ... especially with the Sennheiser HD-600 and 650.

 

post #12554 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Hey guys, I know a million people have asked this question, but I am going to ask again. 

I just got some HD600s. I have already purchased the HD650 cardas connectors and a neutrik 1/4th inch plug. 

I am looking for some cheap and decent cable. I am trying to make a 10 foot cable for 30 bucks total, so I am willing to spend 20 bucks on wire. 

I am trying to avoid buying crap, but I am still trying to find something better than a stock HD600 cable. 

Am I stuck spending 40 bucks on the basic plussound copper wire, or is there another option? 

On your budget you won't be able to find separate conductors for braiding unless you choose something like navships.

Your best bet is to pick up some Mogami or Canare. If you decide to strip the insulation and braid it, make sure you pick up a foot or two extra. It will shorten a bit with the braid and it's always nice to have headroom for mistakes.
post #12555 of 13832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


On your budget you won't be able to find separate conductors for braiding unless you choose something like navships.

Your best bet is to pick up some Mogami or Canare. If you decide to strip the insulation and braid it, make sure you pick up a foot or two extra. It will shorten a bit with the braid and it's always nice to have headroom for mistakes.

 

Ended up going the mogami route. 

 

On paper this is exactly what I was looking for. I was able to get 11 feet for just under 20 bucks. 

 

I ended up not getting the naval ship stuff because there seems to be some problems with it. Was this a mistake? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!