or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 829

post #12421 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

I did everything you suggested.. I just decided to braid it without the shielding on. I sat there for a good 15 minutes, with no progress.

If you want you can tape a paper clip to one end of the wire and it will be easier to get it through.  That way you have something to acctually push through. 

post #12422 of 15038

Does anyone here know how to solder on hifiman connectors?

post #12423 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark12 View Post

Does anyone here know how to solder on hifiman connectors?

Yup they are pretty simple.  If I remember correctly the pin inside is your signal and the shield is the ground so you have 2 sides so you will have L, Ground and R, Ground.  

post #12424 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

I did everything you suggested.. I just decided to braid it without the shielding on. I sat there for a good 15 minutes, with no progress.

If you want you can tape a paper clip to one end of the wire and it will be easier to get it through.  That way you have something to acctually push through. 

I actually am liking it without the shielding so far, a lot more. Thanks for the help though, maybe I'll do a crazy color braid sometime. Also, couldn't I do 24awg, and it would be a lot easier to put the shielding on?

post #12425 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

I actually am liking it without the shielding so far, a lot more. Thanks for the help though, maybe I'll do a crazy color braid sometime. Also, couldn't I do 24awg, and it would be a lot easier to put the shielding on?

I think that if you get good wire than bare wire looks very chic but that just might be me.  As long as my cables aren't ugly I don't cover them up.  

post #12426 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

I actually am liking it without the shielding so far, a lot more. Thanks for the help though, maybe I'll do a crazy color braid sometime. Also, couldn't I do 24awg, and it would be a lot easier to put the shielding on?

I think that if you get good wire than bare wire looks very chic but that just might be me.  As long as my cables aren't ugly I don't cover them up.  

I also think it looks better with bare wire. But to go crazy with colors, you need braidingwink.gif

post #12427 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post

I really like the neutrik ones from redco http://www.redco.com/Mini-3-5mm-2-5mm-Connectors/ they are really good quality and won't break the bank.  Moon audio also has a couple you can look at http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts/other-connectors.html?limit=30&p=1

 

If you order from Redco, don't forget to also get the wire stripper that handles 20ga to 30ga wires.  It's only $10 and I saw it on their site the other evening.

post #12428 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post

I really like the neutrik ones from redco http://www.redco.com/Mini-3-5mm-2-5mm-Connectors/ they are really good quality and won't break the bank.  Moon audio also has a couple you can look at http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts/other-connectors.html?limit=30&p=1

 

If you order from Redco, don't forget to also get the wire stripper that handles 20ga to 30ga wires.  It's only $10 and I saw it on their site the other evening.

Is it good?

post #12429 of 15038
post #12430 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post

ya they are pretty good. http://www.redco.com/Eclipse-CP-301G.html

Cool, I'll pick one up!

post #12431 of 15038

I wish I had known about that deal earlier mine where double the price and honestly they aren't that great quality frown.gif

post #12432 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post

I wish I had known about that deal earlier mine where double the price and honestly they aren't that great quality frown.gif

Could've said that in the first place after I bought them..

post #12433 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

I did everything you suggested.. I just decided to braid it without the shielding on. I sat there for a good 15 minutes, with no progress.

After you finally gave up and pulled the sleeving off the wire, did you notice if any of the wire was sticking out of the end of the wire's insulation? What I encountered when trying to get that sort of sleeving over insulated wire was that the wires would start to stick out past the insulation and want to snag on the sleeving. To try and solve that, I'd pull on the insulation and stretch it beyond the wire a little bit and that solved the snagging problem.

se
post #12434 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

I did everything you suggested.. I just decided to braid it without the shielding on. I sat there for a good 15 minutes, with no progress.

After you finally gave up and pulled the sleeving off the wire, did you notice if any of the wire was sticking out of the end of the wire's insulation? What I encountered when trying to get that sort of sleeving over insulated wire was that the wires would start to stick out past the insulation and want to snag on the sleeving. To try and solve that, I'd pull on the insulation and stretch it beyond the wire a little bit and that solved the snagging problem.

se

I checked, as you had told me about it before, and there was none sticking out.

post #12435 of 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Could've said that in the first place after I bought them..

No no a different pair.  the ones from there are good.  sorry for the misunderstanding.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!