Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 824

post #12346 of 13928
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

How do I setup my cable if its going to be a 3 wire braid? Set up as in what do I do for the Y connect and where do I solder all that copper wire!

I would do a 4 wire setup.  A 4 wire braid below the y-split (L,R,2 Grounds), then at the Y, split them off L+Ground/R+Ground and twist them together.

Cool!

post #12347 of 13928
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Steve recommends using a knife, I was looking for a cleaner way to do it though.

Not just "a knife," but a nice breakaway razor knife like this one from Hyde, that I sent you.

http://www.hydetools.com/catalog/tool/auto-lock-9mm-snap-blade-utility-knife

Takes a bit of finesse, but once you've got the feel for it, you'll not get a cleaner cut.

se
post #12348 of 13928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Steve recommends using a knife, I was looking for a cleaner way to do it though.

Not just "a knife," but a nice breakaway razor knife like this one from Hyde, that I sent you.

http://www.hydetools.com/catalog/tool/auto-lock-9mm-snap-blade-utility-knife

Takes a bit of finesse, but once you've got the feel for it, you'll not get a cleaner cut.

se

tongue.gifbeerchug.gif

By the way, I am putting on the HD650 connectors tomorrow(pretty sure, unless my family and I go up to the city.)

post #12349 of 13928

I just use one of these to trim cables

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/526873/shark-knife.jpg

post #12350 of 13928
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

I just use one of these to trim cables

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/526873/shark-knife.jpg

I hear those work really well, are you satisfied with its performance?

post #12351 of 13928

Yeah its pretty amazing but it runs on souls of the innocent and Tom Cruise tears so I use it sparingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

I hear those work really well, are you satisfied with its performance?

 

 

 

P.S. Just go to Ace Hardware and pick up a wire cutter they are good and pretty cheap ~$12.


Edited by alv4426 - 7/17/13 at 10:39pm
post #12352 of 13928
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

Yeah its pretty amazing but it runs on souls of the innocent and Tom Cruise tears so I use it sparingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

I hear those work really well, are you satisfied with its performance?

 

 

 

P.S. Just go to Ace Hardware and pick up a wire cutter they are good and pretty cheap ~$12.

beerchug.gif

post #12353 of 13928

for those of you looking for cable to build more cables with parts connexion is having a sale on cardas cable.

 

https://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_headphone_cardas.html

 

$12.95 per ft. 

 

I think this is a good price.

post #12354 of 13928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post

for those of you looking for cable to build more cables with parts connexion is having a sale on cardas cable.

 

https://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_headphone_cardas.html

 

$12.95 per ft. 

 

I think this is a good price.

$12.95, wow. 

 

Anyways, I finished my HD650 cable today. It was my first cable I've built, enough said.

post #12355 of 13928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post

for those of you looking for cable to build more cables with parts connexion is having a sale on cardas cable.

 

https://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_headphone_cardas.html

 

$12.95 per ft. 

 

I think this is a good price.


That price didn't last long. Now it seems to have gone back to $17.92.

From the web page I see...

 

"4 x 24 awg, with shield Headphone Cable -

4 wires plus shield plus thin wall jacket,  Per Foot

$22.40 $17.92 pcX USD Price"

post #12356 of 13928

Have you looked here: http://www.hndme.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2834&idcategory=69

 

TBH, I quit using the shielded stuff and just use #24 hookup wire. It's cheaper, and I find that I really don't need the shielding.

If you decided to get it from Handmade, skip the orange wire. The insulation is a little fatter than the black or red, which makes

it a bit harder if you do like me and sheath each wire in micro paracord.

post #12357 of 13928

'll cable plug 6.5 mono (x2) to 3.5mm of 3 meters, which plug and cable recommend me? is to use the m-audio AV40 with my asus xonar dx


Edited by glunteer - 7/19/13 at 8:11pm
post #12358 of 13928
I didn't want to say anything before for fear of sounding out of "the know", but how the hell is $12.50 per foot a good deal.

Sure it's technically 4 feet of conductor but that's still $3+ per foot. Lots of other amazing cable for much cheaper, IMO.

I could be missing something though.
post #12359 of 13928

It's a scam plain and simple.

 

I'll enjoy the best manufacture cables at $0.50-2.50 per foot.

post #12360 of 13928
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post

It's a scam plain and simple.

 

I'll enjoy the best manufacture cables at $0.50-2.50 per foot.

I mean if you believe in cables than its not a scam if you don't than its a bit expensive and you might as well buy cheap copper wire, but that choice is up to you.  But cardas does some good stuff and despite it being expensive he does very very good work so I wouldn't call it a scam....more overpriced if you don't believe in cables.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!