Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 815

post #12211 of 13926

Thats right...no spoon...

post #12212 of 13926
As an MIT debate professor of mine explained, "it's true, if and only if it is actually the case."
post #12213 of 13926

My super budget 1/8-RCA cable for the bathroom stereo.

 

Neutrik 3.5mm connector--about $1.80 

2 REAN RCA connectors--$2.18 on eBay

Cheap Radio Shack wire--maybe $4 worth max out of my 75 foot roll. 

Heat Shrink from Lowes- half a piece out of a $1.88 4 pack.

 

So $9 give or take.

 

-Plant not included in build.

post #12214 of 13926

Posted a thread wondering if I should then did it anyway:

post #12215 of 13926

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTQwZTJhMzQwNGU5NWY5YmExYzlkODA0ZWFiZDZiMjY4MTA2fHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1iaWdiYXJnYWlub25saW5lfHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT03LzQvMTMgOToxNCBBTQ==

 

 

 

 

When these come in the mail....I was thinking to put some heat shrink on the plug/cable join?

 

Like this...  Borrowed ya pic..thanks mate....

and like the pic a few posts above with the heat shrink on it...


Edited by Tanjent - 7/6/13 at 8:20pm
post #12216 of 13926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjent View Post

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTQwZTJhMzQwNGU5NWY5YmExYzlkODA0ZWFiZDZiMjY4MTA2fHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1iaWdiYXJnYWlub25saW5lfHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT03LzQvMTMgOToxNCBBTQ==

 

 

 

 

When these come in the mail....I was thinking to put some heat shrink on the plug/cable join?

 

Like this...  Borrowed ya pic..thanks mate....

and like the pic a few posts above with the heat shrink on it...

It looks like the wires have good protection from rubbing against the connector, if you do that it will make it a little more firm though. If you like the way it looks, just do it, I say.

post #12217 of 13926

Here some cotton sleeving cable I made with black crystal decoration ;).

 

 



 

 

post #12218 of 13926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosClouds View Post

Here some cotton sleeving cable I made with black crystal decoration ;).

 

 



 

 

Very nice.

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #12219 of 13926

After trucking through about 90% of the posts in this thread (oof), I've decided to get into some DIY shenanigans. So, I've started shopping around for soldering gear and the bits for an Audeze recable. I'm pretty certain what I want to with regard to my connectors, but I thought I'd get some input regarding wire.

 

I'm likely looking for 24-26 AWG, and as flexible as possible (for braiding purposes). So, stranded copper in a flexible housing. My leading option is just ripping up a bunch of Mogami 2534, as it's relatively inexpensive, and I can pull the clear conductors if I decide to go with an unsheathed cable. Any other good options for nicer copper wire? I'm not sure I buy in to the whole "cables can improve the sound" thing, so I guess I'm looking more for looks/ergonomics, but if I get fancier wire without breaking the bank, then I may as well (and if it turns out I'm wrong about nicer cables making things sound better, I can live with that).

 

So, a couple of the options I had been looking at were:

 

Take Five Audio: 40 feet of Mogami 2534: ~$70 shipped, tax included

BTG-Audio: 80 feet of 26 AWG Clear XLPE wire ~$75 shipped (plus whatever tax/duty I get tagged with)

PlusSound Audio: 80 feet of 28 AWG 7N Pure UP-OCC Stranded Copper Custom Wire (whatever that means):~$90 shipped (plus whatever tax/duty I get tagged with)

 

Are these any good? Are there other, better options I should consider? Even though I'm crossing the border with the second and third option, pricing wouldn't be vastly more than the Mogami, and I can justify spending more if the aesthetics/ergonomics are there (plus, they're slightly thinner than the 24 AWG of the Mogami).  Like I said, I'm not really a believer in cables doing much sonically, but I'm willing to be proven wrong, if the more expensive stuff is that much better.

 

Also, any good suggestions for a sleeving? I'm ideally looking for something that's not too microphonic and is (again) ergonomic/aesthetically pleasing. From what I've heard, Techflex tends to be a little stiff. What about Nylon or Polyethylene sleeving? IE, the stuff here: https://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=96&cat=Cable+Sleeve

post #12220 of 13926
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocsRock View Post

After trucking through about 90% of the posts in this thread (oof), I've decided to get into some DIY shenanigans. So, I've started shopping around for soldering gear and the bits for an Audeze recable. I'm pretty certain what I want to with regard to my connectors, but I thought I'd get some input regarding wire.

 

I'm likely looking for 24-26 AWG, and as flexible as possible (for braiding purposes). So, stranded copper in a flexible housing. My leading option is just ripping up a bunch of Mogami 2534, as it's relatively inexpensive, and I can pull the clear conductors if I decide to go with an unsheathed cable. Any other good options for nicer copper wire? I'm not sure I buy in to the whole "cables can improve the sound" thing, so I guess I'm looking more for looks/ergonomics, but if I get fancier wire without breaking the bank, then I may as well (and if it turns out I'm wrong about nicer cables making things sound better, I can live with that).

 

So, a couple of the options I had been looking at were:

 

Take Five Audio: 40 feet of Mogami 2534: ~$70 shipped, tax included

BTG-Audio: 80 feet of 26 AWG Clear XLPE wire ~$75 shipped (plus whatever tax/duty I get tagged with)

PlusSound Audio: 80 feet of 28 AWG 7N Pure UP-OCC Stranded Copper Custom Wire (whatever that means):~$90 shipped (plus whatever tax/duty I get tagged with)

 

Are these any good? Are there other, better options I should consider? Even though I'm crossing the border with the second and third option, pricing wouldn't be vastly more than the Mogami, and I can justify spending more if the aesthetics/ergonomics are there (plus, they're slightly thinner than the 24 AWG of the Mogami).  Like I said, I'm not really a believer in cables doing much sonically, but I'm willing to be proven wrong, if the more expensive stuff is that much better.

 

Also, any good suggestions for a sleeving? I'm ideally looking for something that's not too microphonic and is (again) ergonomic/aesthetically pleasing. From what I've heard, Techflex tends to be a little stiff. What about Nylon or Polyethylene sleeving? IE, the stuff here: https://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=96&cat=Cable+Sleeve

Well just to make your life a little harder I have a couple suggestions for you.  I personally think that 28ga is a bit thin so I would go with 26-24ga cable.  If you want looks, I personally think that any cable in clear teflon tubing looks amazing.  But thats just an opinion.

Ok so here are a couple more options.

Artemis Cables has $1.50/ft for 24ga UP-OCC Copper cable on ebay.  

Another person you can look at on Ebay is Navships.  He has good stuff that won't break the bank.  

Toxic Cables has some options as well, you can PM Frank if you want to know pricing.  Only problem is his stuff ships from the UK.  

Also there are more deals at PlusSound that I thought where nice.

Moon audio also has a bunch of cable you can look at.

and the last place I will confuse you with is Homegrown Audio.  All of their stuff as far as I can tell though comes in cotton insolation and not teflon. 

 

out of all of these I personally think that BTG, Plussound and Artemis have the best prices.  As for looks I never thought that Mogami or Canare cable looked all that great so I personally was never really that attracted to it.  

 

As for sleeving I would suggest furryletters.  He has every size, length and color imaginable for a very reasonable price.  

 

Hope all of this helps

-B

post #12221 of 13926
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocsRock View Post

After trucking through about 90% of the posts in this thread (oof), I've decided to get into some DIY shenanigans. So, I've started shopping around for soldering gear and the bits for an Audeze recable. I'm pretty certain what I want to with regard to my connectors, but I thought I'd get some input regarding wire.

 

I'm likely looking for 24-26 AWG, and as flexible as possible (for braiding purposes). So, stranded copper in a flexible housing. My leading option is just ripping up a bunch of Mogami 2534, as it's relatively inexpensive, and I can pull the clear conductors if I decide to go with an unsheathed cable. Any other good options for nicer copper wire? I'm not sure I buy in to the whole "cables can improve the sound" thing, so I guess I'm looking more for looks/ergonomics, but if I get fancier wire without breaking the bank, then I may as well (and if it turns out I'm wrong about nicer cables making things sound better, I can live with that).

 

So, a couple of the options I had been looking at were:

 

Take Five Audio: 40 feet of Mogami 2534: ~$70 shipped, tax included

BTG-Audio: 80 feet of 26 AWG Clear XLPE wire ~$75 shipped (plus whatever tax/duty I get tagged with)

PlusSound Audio: 80 feet of 28 AWG 7N Pure UP-OCC Stranded Copper Custom Wire (whatever that means):~$90 shipped (plus whatever tax/duty I get tagged with)

 

Are these any good? Are there other, better options I should consider? Even though I'm crossing the border with the second and third option, pricing wouldn't be vastly more than the Mogami, and I can justify spending more if the aesthetics/ergonomics are there (plus, they're slightly thinner than the 24 AWG of the Mogami).  Like I said, I'm not really a believer in cables doing much sonically, but I'm willing to be proven wrong, if the more expensive stuff is that much better.

 

Also, any good suggestions for a sleeving? I'm ideally looking for something that's not too microphonic and is (again) ergonomic/aesthetically pleasing. From what I've heard, Techflex tends to be a little stiff. What about Nylon or Polyethylene sleeving? IE, the stuff here: https://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=96&cat=Cable+Sleeve

Mogami W2893 (26 AWG) is way more flexible than 2534, just so you know.

 

I'm using that, plus sleeving with Type I Paracord (which the W2893 fits in very nicely) for a few cables myself.  Bonus (especially if you can go to a UPS store or something in the states and get a temporary mailing address) is that it's cheaper than 2534.  Redco.com has it for $0.30 cheaper than the 2534.

post #12222 of 13926

does anyone know what this kind of braid is called? or is it just a variation on the 4 wire round braid

 

post #12223 of 13926
Quote:
Originally Posted by daflippymaster View Post

does anyone know what this kind of braid is called? or is it just a variation on the 4 wire round braid

 

 

The main part is an 8 wire round Kumihimo braid.  Get one of these if you want to make one: http://www.amazon.com/KumiLoom-TM-Handheld-Kumihimo-Braiding/dp/B001DKIQ3Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373303971&sr=8-3&keywords=kumihimo+loom

 

Eats up quite a lot of length of wire so you will need something like 30-40% more.  Also a bit stiff when finished. 

post #12224 of 13926
Quote:
Originally Posted by daflippymaster View Post

does anyone know what this kind of braid is called? or is it just a variation on the 4 wire round braid



The front one is a regular 4-strand round braid.

The thicker back one is an 8-strand twist.

You can do this with a regular hand drill.
There are 4 pairs of 2 conductors.
You take a pair and twist it in the chuck of your drill until its twist is even. In the picture they did It counter-clockwise.

Then you take the 4 pairs and twist them in the drill the OPPOSITE direction. In the case of the picture, clockwise. And you're done.

Theirs looks very uniform. Might take a little practice.
post #12225 of 13926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


The front one is a regular 4-strand round braid.

The thicker back one is an 8-strand twist.

You can do this with a regular hand drill.
There are 4 pairs of 2 conductors.
You take a pair and twist it in the chuck of your drill until its twist is even. In the picture they did It counter-clockwise.

Then you take the 4 pairs and twist them in the drill the OPPOSITE direction. In the case of the picture, clockwise. And you're done.

Theirs looks very uniform. Might take a little practice.

Sorry, wrong about the 8 wire.  Definitely a Kumihimo.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!