Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
The iFi Audio Micro iDSD was sent to me by iFi with help from their Norwegian distributor Audioaktøren for the purpose of doing this review and including it in my recently started $250+ amp/DAC...
This is pretty much the same weightless, rickety, tiny player apparently offered by Kogan, oRiver, Ritmix, etc. It comes decently boxed with a soft pouch, USB cable, and nice looking (if...
Aune M2 Pro Review Intro : Since the past few years I had kept myself away from trying out any new DAPs or audio gear since I was pretty satisfied with my Fiio X5 (1st gen) and Sansa Clip...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 796
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Anyone have experience with replacing the cabling for the UE 900? Does the sound improve creating a custom cable? And is the sound difference between copper, silver plated, and pure silver that large on this IEM?
Others may disagree, but I think most of us here know and believe that cables do not make an ounce of difference as far as audible sound is concerned.
There are plenty of reasons to DIY your own cable or buy an aftermarket, not least of which are build and quality, flexibility, and cable length. And looks. Plus, if you make your own, there's a certain amount of pride involved. But it's not going to sound any better. If it does, it's in your head, and an unsighted test will likely prove this.
Edited by tintin220 - 5/16/13 at 9:56am
From a purely electrical standpoint, some metals and metal manufacturing processes produce a wire that conducts the signal better than others (there is a whole Sound Science section here, and it seems that it's a hotly debated issue all around).
Will you hear the difference? Maybe, but there is a large chance that it would be all in your head and any real differences in sound are simply imagined.
The only way to truly know for yourself would be blind A/B testing using the same headphones with different cables (different headphones, even of the same brand, may produce different results by themselves).
For further thought, consider your cable like a giant water pipe, except for carrying electrons. In a pipe, if you have certain bottlenecks, kinks, or areas where the diameter suddenly gets smaller, even back in the larger diameter areas, you'll have reduced flow rate as a result.
A cable is similar to that since it's not just one giant wire with nothing else. So even if you have infinite purity gold wire (even the audible and measurable differences of that in theory would be debatable), unless your interconnects are also the same material, and they're usually some kind of nickel or gold plated copper or brass*, there's a bottleneck. Then there's solder; 99% of builders use some kind of 60/40 or 63/37 tin/lead solder. Some might use silver solder. But there's another bottleneck. And this is just in the cable itself, not considering all the bottlenecks in up/downstream components and ICs.
As an interesting note, some people believe rhodium plated plugs sound unique or exceptional compared even to gold plating. The truth of this design implementation is entirely that rhodium is extremely hard and durable, unlike gold or silver, which can theoretically start to wear away after enough mating cycles. Rhodium actually is a lot less conductive.
*Every now and then, you even find a manufacturer cheating and using iron or steel for their plugs. Yuck.
Smart man. I think this thread is fairly safe. I've definitely been trolled out of a few others.
Edited by tintin220 - 5/16/13 at 10:30am
Ahh, looks like I posted at the right/wrong time. I found that the hybrid cable with the SPC Viper and Scorpion wire, increased the bass a bit too much, it also increased the midbass. I like my JH16 because it has emphasis in the lower/sub bass. I don't know if this was due to the extra wires or what, but it was too much. As a basshead who also enjoys high end sound I never thought I'd say that. So I took the 8 wire cable apart and made this 26awg Scorpion wire, and I'm happy again. Clearly I have too much free time on my hands...Now I have 18 feet of Viper SPC wire, and 12 feet of Scorpion wire, with 24 feet of Mogami wire coming in..what to do next..any suggestions guys?
Now comes the hard(ish) part...taking apart my DT770s to mod/rewire them as well.
Updated photos actually using a half-decent camera this time.
(Baby 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect now connecting my O2 to my y2: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616331/o2-amp-odac/1470#post_9443736)
Edited by tintin220 - 5/16/13 at 2:24pm
Is that stranded silver wire, or solid core?
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- › New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal 27 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender... 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Accutone Technology Mega-Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 3 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 4 minutes ago
- › Similar headphones to the PM-3? 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by peter123
- › Basic M90 by Lad3
- › Aune M2 32BIT DSD portable music player by Faheem
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...