Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone Cables)
Last edited: 12/28/12
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
*Review to come*
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 796post #11926 of 129955/16/13 at 8:27ampost #11927 of 129955/16/13 at 9:38am
Anyone have experience with replacing the cabling for the UE 900? Does the sound improve creating a custom cable? And is the sound difference between copper, silver plated, and pure silver that large on this IEM?post #11928 of 129955/16/13 at 9:54amQuote:
Others may disagree, but I think most of us here know and believe that cables do not make an ounce of difference as far as audible sound is concerned.
There are plenty of reasons to DIY your own cable or buy an aftermarket, not least of which are build and quality, flexibility, and cable length. And looks. Plus, if you make your own, there's a certain amount of pride involved. But it's not going to sound any better. If it does, it's in your head, and an unsighted test will likely prove this.
Edited by tintin220 - 5/16/13 at 9:56ampost #11929 of 129955/16/13 at 10:06am
From a purely electrical standpoint, some metals and metal manufacturing processes produce a wire that conducts the signal better than others (there is a whole Sound Science section here, and it seems that it's a hotly debated issue all around).
Will you hear the difference? Maybe, but there is a large chance that it would be all in your head and any real differences in sound are simply imagined.
The only way to truly know for yourself would be blind A/B testing using the same headphones with different cables (different headphones, even of the same brand, may produce different results by themselves).post #11930 of 129955/16/13 at 10:09ampost #11931 of 129955/16/13 at 10:17am
For further thought, consider your cable like a giant water pipe, except for carrying electrons. In a pipe, if you have certain bottlenecks, kinks, or areas where the diameter suddenly gets smaller, even back in the larger diameter areas, you'll have reduced flow rate as a result.
A cable is similar to that since it's not just one giant wire with nothing else. So even if you have infinite purity gold wire (even the audible and measurable differences of that in theory would be debatable), unless your interconnects are also the same material, and they're usually some kind of nickel or gold plated copper or brass*, there's a bottleneck. Then there's solder; 99% of builders use some kind of 60/40 or 63/37 tin/lead solder. Some might use silver solder. But there's another bottleneck. And this is just in the cable itself, not considering all the bottlenecks in up/downstream components and ICs.
As an interesting note, some people believe rhodium plated plugs sound unique or exceptional compared even to gold plating. The truth of this design implementation is entirely that rhodium is extremely hard and durable, unlike gold or silver, which can theoretically start to wear away after enough mating cycles. Rhodium actually is a lot less conductive.
*Every now and then, you even find a manufacturer cheating and using iron or steel for their plugs. Yuck.
Smart man. I think this thread is fairly safe. I've definitely been trolled out of a few others.
Edited by tintin220 - 5/16/13 at 10:30ampost #11932 of 129955/16/13 at 11:16ampost #11933 of 129955/16/13 at 11:34am
Ahh, looks like I posted at the right/wrong time. I found that the hybrid cable with the SPC Viper and Scorpion wire, increased the bass a bit too much, it also increased the midbass. I like my JH16 because it has emphasis in the lower/sub bass. I don't know if this was due to the extra wires or what, but it was too much. As a basshead who also enjoys high end sound I never thought I'd say that. So I took the 8 wire cable apart and made this 26awg Scorpion wire, and I'm happy again. Clearly I have too much free time on my hands...Now I have 18 feet of Viper SPC wire, and 12 feet of Scorpion wire, with 24 feet of Mogami wire coming in..what to do next..any suggestions guys?post #11934 of 129955/16/13 at 11:35am
Now comes the hard(ish) part...taking apart my DT770s to mod/rewire them as well.post #11935 of 129955/16/13 at 2:22pm
Updated photos actually using a half-decent camera this time.
(Baby 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect now connecting my O2 to my y2: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616331/o2-amp-odac/1470#post_9443736)
Edited by tintin220 - 5/16/13 at 2:24pmpost #11936 of 129955/17/13 at 1:40ampost #11937 of 129955/17/13 at 10:49ampost #11938 of 129955/17/13 at 11:08amQuote:
Is that stranded silver wire, or solid core?post #11939 of 129955/17/13 at 11:19ampost #11940 of 129955/17/13 at 11:22am
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › Review: JDS Labs O2 (Black edition) + O2/ODAC discussion 15 seconds ago
- › THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . 1st listening impressions... 31 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 40 seconds ago
- › WTB Sony MDR 7550 / 800ST 54 seconds ago
- › Re shell shure 353 red 1 minute ago
- › Best over ear headphones under $150 with decent sound and sound... 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 1 minute ago
- › ath-m50s now what 2 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 3 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi