Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 788

post #11806 of 13789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rereredundant View Post

I am going to attempt to make a LOD for a DIYmod, but had a quick Q. In terms of soldering the cap to the connector pins, does the positive lead go there and the negative lead to the wires which eventually terminate at the 3.5 mm jack? Any help would be greatly appreciated smily_headphones1.gif
The positive side goes towards the DAC (30 pin) negative towards the 3.5..unless you are using film caps. They are non polar
post #11807 of 13789

Can't help but to share this!

 

post #11808 of 13789

Thanks for all the help that you people put into this forum, for somebody new like me there is an amazing amount of information.  

post #11809 of 13789

For you guys that have made custom iem cables, how do you wire the parts that plug into the ciem?  I know on most ciem cables that are made the dot goes in the back, so is that the negative or positive wire that goes in the back?  This is for mh JH16, thanks.

post #11810 of 13789
If I was to strip the Teflon from my wires and put them into a new sleeve, can I run 3 wires trough the sleeve without twisting the or will they creat an electrical connection with each other?
post #11811 of 13789
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

For you guys that have made custom iem cables, how do you wire the parts that plug into the ciem?  I know on most ciem cables that are made the dot goes in the back, so is that the negative or positive wire that goes in the back?  This is for mh JH16, thanks.

If you look at the stock cable, the + is the pin closest to the red and blue dots.

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #11812 of 13789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonr520 View Post

If I was to strip the Teflon from my wires and put them into a new sleeve, can I run 3 wires trough the sleeve without twisting the or will they creat an electrical connection with each other?

If there is rubber or pvc or some other shield it will be fine, if the metal touches, it will short.
post #11813 of 13789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonr520 View Post

If I was to strip the Teflon from my wires and put them into a new sleeve, can I run 3 wires trough the sleeve without twisting the or will they creat an electrical connection with each other?


Do you mean stripping the outer covering of the 3 wires, or do you mean the insulation on the individual wires themselves (which is what it reads like)?

 

The former would be fine, the latter wouldn't.

post #11814 of 13789
I was talking about the individual covering on the wires. Ended up getting my answer using a multimeter though
post #11815 of 13789

Thanks Frank, got more wire coming in, just wasn't sure on that part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Cables View Post

If you look at the stock cable, the + is the pin closest to the red and blue dots.

post #11816 of 13789

Hi~

I'm trying to re-terminate my headphone cables

Do i have to remove the coating off the end of cable before soldering?

or will the temperature of soldering take care of it?

 

thanks in advance!!


Edited by goohsm - 4/20/13 at 9:11pm
post #11817 of 13789

Ive always tried to just burn it off with a lighter, I hate those enamel coated wires lol.  Sometimes a lighter isnt hot enough.  I'm pretty sure someone might mention a solder pot?

post #11818 of 13789

If you don't have a solder pot, then the best way to remove the enamel coating, would be to put a large blob of solder on the tip of your iron, then hold that blob to the wires till the enamel burns off and tins the wire. Repeat it once or twice afterwards to get any burned enamel that might still be on the wires out.

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #11819 of 13789

My cable came in for my interconnect experiment. 3.5 mini to 3.5 mini probably 3-4 inches for my portable. 

 

 

 

So I wanted to trying something different and do an 8 braid. This is mostly for experimentation and to make it look awesome. I'm trying to decide the best way to do it. Separate strands in a huge 8 braid, or pair together two of the same color with superglue (x4) and do a thick quad-braid with those. I'm not sure that I can glue them together though. Suggestions?

 

I realize it would be a tight fit around the terminals, and that the holes in the terminal connections would need to be widened to fit the cables. Also, it would be important to space them properly to avoid shorting. Anything else I'm forgetting?

 

I was wondering, assuming I could pull of an 8 braid, would there be any negative sonic effects?

 

Any other suggestions? 


Edited by Kamakahah - 4/21/13 at 12:21am
post #11820 of 13789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Cables View Post

If you don't have a solder pot, then the best way to remove the enamel coating, would be to put a large blob of solder on the tip of your iron, then hold that blob to the wires till the enamel burns off and tins the wire. Repeat it once or twice afterwards to get any burned enamel that might still be on the wires out.

 

And have a fan or fume extractor nearby. Burning enamel is stinky work and you really don't want to breath that in. 


Edited by Armaegis - 4/20/13 at 11:52pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!