I want to re cable my Monoprice 8320 IEMS because of their shocking microphonics but I've got a small budget. Would anything for under £20 be an upgrade or am I just wasting my time?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone Cables)
Last edited: 12/28/12
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Hi When i brought these i hoped that they would sound amazing. But when i tried these i noticed that there was no bass at all. I'm a bass head. Now i brought the ferrari by logic3 T150. They...
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
There are many great headphones in this SUB-$150 category , I have a good amount of headphones in the range and have tried a good enough of them to know what to expect in this category The...
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 777
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11642 of 134753/11/13 at 10:40ampost #11643 of 134753/11/13 at 10:44amYou don't hear cable noise as severely with full-size headphones since the cable noise has to conduct through a relatively massive plastic shell and a thick cushion of padding that rests on your outer ear or your skull. Cable noise is going to be a necessary evil with IEMs, since they basically constitute a direct conduction of vibrations to your middle ear.
In my experience with the 8320, the cable noise is very low for an IEM. I don't think you'll improve it much with a DIY, but if you want to try, track down some light-gauge silicone wire.post #11644 of 134753/11/13 at 10:51amQuote:
Would the change have any affect on quality?Quote:
Really? Wow, I thought they were some of the worst IEMs for it to the extent that even when I'm not on the go it's a distraction, every other pair I've tried I found to be miles better. I've got a few pairs now so I was thinking of heatshrinking the stock cable on one of them and see if that improves matters.post #11645 of 134753/11/13 at 11:06amQuote:
Great looking new IEM cable you got there! Congrats!post #11646 of 134753/11/13 at 11:09amHeatshrink is stiff so it probably won't help.
Well the cable might make them slightly better, but you will have to be the judge of that. The new cable looks awesome and will last longer thoughpost #11647 of 134753/11/13 at 11:10am
Thanks Putente, hurry up and make some cables to show offpost #11648 of 134753/11/13 at 11:16am
You could run the wires through some cotton sleeving (or shoe laces) to see if the soft material helps with the cable noise. Nylon multifilament and loose paracord might also work.
Otherwise, I'd save your money and get better IEMs.post #11649 of 134753/11/13 at 11:16am
I intend to, mate. I just need a good amount of free time to freely burn my fingers!
Btw, how much cable length takes a cable like that? I mean, before you braided it, how much cable did you buy for that IEM cable and what's the finished length?post #11650 of 134753/11/13 at 11:26ampost #11651 of 134753/11/13 at 4:01pmDT880 recable with Toxic cables 26AWG OCC copper wire. 4 wire litz braid terminated in balanced neutrik 4-pin.
Pair of RCA inteconnects made with Canare Starquad and Rean plugs.
4-pin XLR to TRS converter with Neutrik plugs and the toxic cables wire.
In keeping with the spirit of tiny interconnects...
Pair of balancd XLR interconnects. Neutrik plugs and same Toxic cables wire.post #11652 of 134753/11/13 at 4:14pm
HE-6 with 4-pin XLR termination.
Each channel is build from 6' of Canare L-4E6S: Two 24 AWG wires for each + and -.
I cheated, actually -- After stripping off the jacket, braid and paper sheath, I realized that the wire was more neatly wound than I could manage by braiding, so I kept the wires as they are and simply twisted each channel's bundle around each other between the yoke and the XLR.. The headphone plugs are kind of lumpy because I didn't have a good strategy for soldering the wire onto them, and got kind of random. If I did it over again, I might join the plug to the wire at a slight angle so that the cables will project forward, like on the LCD-2.
This cabling was mostly done for comfort reasons: The stock cable is actually very good, but I wanted a more limber one; it's almost twice as heavy although it doesn't matter since most of that mass lies on the floor, the arm of the chair, or whatnot while I listen.post #11653 of 134753/12/13 at 1:48ampost #11654 of 134753/12/13 at 4:45am
I'm looking to make some RCA interconnecters. Would this guitar cable work well for me?
If not could someone suggest something off of ebay? or somewhere where I don't have to pay $7-10 shipping for 2 feet of wire?post #11655 of 134753/12/13 at 5:15amYou can get short lengths of cable from redco.com for about $3-5 shipping within the U.S.
Cable is heavy, so anybody who provides free shipping has to mark up the product price a lot to recover their expenses. You might also try buying a couple feet from a guitar repair shop.
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › Muse Mini UberBuds or Jaybird BlueBud X 9 seconds ago
- › Alien DAC (PCM2702) - Issues with audio cutting out during CPU load 24 seconds ago
- › Alternative to Schiit Asgard 2 45 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 54 seconds ago
- › [NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7) 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Klipsch Image S3 Nosie-Isolating Earphones with Patented Oval Ear-Tips by Arno Berck
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude