I want to re cable my Monoprice 8320 IEMS because of their shocking microphonics but I've got a small budget. Would anything for under £20 be an upgrade or am I just wasting my time?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 5/12/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Hi End Cables
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 777
Gear mentioned in this thread:
In my experience with the 8320, the cable noise is very low for an IEM. I don't think you'll improve it much with a DIY, but if you want to try, track down some light-gauge silicone wire.
Would the change have any affect on quality?
Really? Wow, I thought they were some of the worst IEMs for it to the extent that even when I'm not on the go it's a distraction, every other pair I've tried I found to be miles better. I've got a few pairs now so I was thinking of heatshrinking the stock cable on one of them and see if that improves matters.
Well the cable might make them slightly better, but you will have to be the judge of that. The new cable looks awesome and will last longer though
You could run the wires through some cotton sleeving (or shoe laces) to see if the soft material helps with the cable noise. Nylon multifilament and loose paracord might also work.
Otherwise, I'd save your money and get better IEMs.
I intend to, mate. I just need a good amount of free time to freely burn my fingers!
Btw, how much cable length takes a cable like that? I mean, before you braided it, how much cable did you buy for that IEM cable and what's the finished length?
Gives a little spare, 4"6 each of the 4 stands.
Finished I didn't measure it, but not much shorter.
Edited by ostewart - 3/11/13 at 11:27am
Pair of RCA inteconnects made with Canare Starquad and Rean plugs.
4-pin XLR to TRS converter with Neutrik plugs and the toxic cables wire.
In keeping with the spirit of tiny interconnects...
Pair of balancd XLR interconnects. Neutrik plugs and same Toxic cables wire.
HE-6 with 4-pin XLR termination.
Each channel is build from 6' of Canare L-4E6S: Two 24 AWG wires for each + and -.
I cheated, actually -- After stripping off the jacket, braid and paper sheath, I realized that the wire was more neatly wound than I could manage by braiding, so I kept the wires as they are and simply twisted each channel's bundle around each other between the yoke and the XLR.. The headphone plugs are kind of lumpy because I didn't have a good strategy for soldering the wire onto them, and got kind of random. If I did it over again, I might join the plug to the wire at a slight angle so that the cables will project forward, like on the LCD-2.
This cabling was mostly done for comfort reasons: The stock cable is actually very good, but I wanted a more limber one; it's almost twice as heavy although it doesn't matter since most of that mass lies on the floor, the arm of the chair, or whatnot while I listen.
I'm looking to make some RCA interconnecters. Would this guitar cable work well for me?
If not could someone suggest something off of ebay? or somewhere where I don't have to pay $7-10 shipping for 2 feet of wire?
Cable is heavy, so anybody who provides free shipping has to mark up the product price a lot to recover their expenses. You might also try buying a couple feet from a guitar repair shop.
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- › Astell&Kern AK380 4 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 43 seconds ago
- › Popup ads 1 minute ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 1 minute ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 1 minute ago
- › Best Closed Cans for Classical Music, $200 max. 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 3 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions for DT250, DT280,... by Trevayne10
- › Xiaomi Pistion III Youth Edition by julian67
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2