I want to re cable my Monoprice 8320 IEMS because of their shocking microphonics but I've got a small budget. Would anything for under £20 be an upgrade or am I just wasting my time?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone Cables)
Edited on 12/28/12
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesEdited on 8/16/12
- Hi End CablesEdited on 1/8/12
Very nice amp for mid-fiers to entry high-fiers. The sound quality and specs are very good for the price. Works very well with Jazz and Classical music in particular (not that rock and...
My pair was a supposed demo model from one of Hifiman's retailers. They came in mint condition, which is lucky for me. I'm not using a balanced cable yet, but I already feel it's a good upgrade...
The JVC HA M750's were my first "real" pair of headphones. Previously, I had just used iPod headphones and cheap 10 dollar headphones from my local grocery store. As such, I was very impressed by...
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 777
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11642 of 119623/11/13 at 10:40ampost #11643 of 119623/11/13 at 10:44amYou don't hear cable noise as severely with full-size headphones since the cable noise has to conduct through a relatively massive plastic shell and a thick cushion of padding that rests on your outer ear or your skull. Cable noise is going to be a necessary evil with IEMs, since they basically constitute a direct conduction of vibrations to your middle ear.
In my experience with the 8320, the cable noise is very low for an IEM. I don't think you'll improve it much with a DIY, but if you want to try, track down some light-gauge silicone wire.post #11644 of 119623/11/13 at 10:51amQuote:
Would the change have any affect on quality?Quote:
Really? Wow, I thought they were some of the worst IEMs for it to the extent that even when I'm not on the go it's a distraction, every other pair I've tried I found to be miles better. I've got a few pairs now so I was thinking of heatshrinking the stock cable on one of them and see if that improves matters.post #11645 of 119623/11/13 at 11:06amQuote:
Great looking new IEM cable you got there! Congrats!post #11646 of 119623/11/13 at 11:09amHeatshrink is stiff so it probably won't help.
Well the cable might make them slightly better, but you will have to be the judge of that. The new cable looks awesome and will last longer thoughpost #11647 of 119623/11/13 at 11:10ampost #11648 of 119623/11/13 at 11:16am
You could run the wires through some cotton sleeving (or shoe laces) to see if the soft material helps with the cable noise. Nylon multifilament and loose paracord might also work.
Otherwise, I'd save your money and get better IEMs.post #11649 of 119623/11/13 at 11:16am
I intend to, mate. I just need a good amount of free time to freely burn my fingers!
Btw, how much cable length takes a cable like that? I mean, before you braided it, how much cable did you buy for that IEM cable and what's the finished length?post #11650 of 119623/11/13 at 11:26ampost #11651 of 119623/11/13 at 4:01pmDT880 recable with Toxic cables 26AWG OCC copper wire. 4 wire litz braid terminated in balanced neutrik 4-pin.
Pair of RCA inteconnects made with Canare Starquad and Rean plugs.
4-pin XLR to TRS converter with Neutrik plugs and the toxic cables wire.
In keeping with the spirit of tiny interconnects...
Pair of balancd XLR interconnects. Neutrik plugs and same Toxic cables wire.post #11652 of 119623/11/13 at 4:14pm
HE-6 with 4-pin XLR termination.
Each channel is build from 6' of Canare L-4E6S: Two 24 AWG wires for each + and -.
I cheated, actually -- After stripping off the jacket, braid and paper sheath, I realized that the wire was more neatly wound than I could manage by braiding, so I kept the wires as they are and simply twisted each channel's bundle around each other between the yoke and the XLR.. The headphone plugs are kind of lumpy because I didn't have a good strategy for soldering the wire onto them, and got kind of random. If I did it over again, I might join the plug to the wire at a slight angle so that the cables will project forward, like on the LCD-2.
This cabling was mostly done for comfort reasons: The stock cable is actually very good, but I wanted a more limber one; it's almost twice as heavy although it doesn't matter since most of that mass lies on the floor, the arm of the chair, or whatnot while I listen.post #11653 of 119623/12/13 at 1:48ampost #11654 of 119623/12/13 at 4:45am
I'm looking to make some RCA interconnecters. Would this guitar cable work well for me?
If not could someone suggest something off of ebay? or somewhere where I don't have to pay $7-10 shipping for 2 feet of wire?post #11655 of 119623/12/13 at 5:15amYou can get short lengths of cable from redco.com for about $3-5 shipping within the U.S.
Cable is heavy, so anybody who provides free shipping has to mark up the product price a lot to recover their expenses. You might also try buying a couple feet from a guitar repair shop.
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › New VentureCraft Go-DAP X for both iDevices and PCs 42 seconds ago
- › What is YOUR Myers-Briggs personality? 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › Denon AH-D600 vs HiFiMAN HE-400 vs Ultrasone PRO 900 vs Bose OE2 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV 2 minutes ago
- › Where to get Swans M10 in France 2 minutes ago
- › Compatible mobile Amps/Dacs for the iPhone 5 3 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 5 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe