- 143 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Location: Finland
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone Cables)
Last edited: 12/28/12
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 752post #11266 of 134712/7/13 at 12:48amSo the 23.5awg or 26.5awg are only a single wire and 4x24 has the required four wires in the cable?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11267 of 134712/7/13 at 12:48ampost #11268 of 134712/7/13 at 12:59ampost #11269 of 134712/7/13 at 6:23ampost #11270 of 134712/7/13 at 8:30ampost #11271 of 134712/7/13 at 8:47ampost #11272 of 134712/7/13 at 8:50ampost #11273 of 134712/7/13 at 8:50amQuote:
Depending on the stranding, it could noticeably impact the flexibility and weight of your cable. Either gauge should be fine for just about any headphone. I place a high priority on stranding and flexibility so that I get an easily usable cable.post #11274 of 134712/7/13 at 9:04amQuote:
In a nutshell, yes. Just make sure you solder the proper wires to the proper places (doesn't matter which wires you choose, as long as you choose the same wires on both ends of the cable).post #11275 of 134712/7/13 at 9:14ampost #11276 of 134712/7/13 at 9:18am
Plussound is offering 28ga wire in similar variety as Toxic Cables 26ga, and claims the same quality as Toxic Cable wire! How would 28ga be different than 26ga in the same application? I would think 28ga would be more flexable......but what about sonic qualities, or any other pros or cons?post #11277 of 134712/7/13 at 9:49amQuote:Originally Posted by cute
Plussound is offering 28ga wire in similar variety as Toxic Cables 26ga, and claims the same quality as Toxic Cable wire! How would 28ga be different than 26ga in the same application? I would think 28ga would be more flexable......but what about sonic qualities, or any other pros or cons?
It *might* be more flexible. Depending on how many strands, and what insulator. It might not - toxic's are pretty good.
Audibly, there should be no difference.post #11278 of 134712/7/13 at 10:22am
Smaller gauge does not necessarily mean better flexibility, can depend on strand size, count, layout, annealing and dielectric. I am speaking of wires in general here and not anyone's wire in particular.
The reason the majority of us don't use anything smaller then 26AWG is reliability, anything smaller then 26AWG wires can easily tear with a small tug, unless they have really thick or hard insulation, in which case, it would make the wire stiff.
I have some new 24AWG OCC Copper wire in PE dielectric here if anyone fancies fancies some. The PE is custom formulated and is as flexible as silicone, the most flexible 24AWG wire i have ever come across. It's even more flexible then my 26AWG wire. This wire is non Cryo and 5N, unlike my other wires.
PM me your address liamstrain/couple others, if you would like to try some. I will send you enough for a 6ft cable, so you can tell us what you think.
Edited by Toxic Cables - 2/7/13 at 10:51ampost #11279 of 134712/7/13 at 10:30ampost #11280 of 134712/7/13 at 10:40amQuote:Originally Posted by Shootinputin187
Where do you guys recommend getting cables? What do you guys think about this cable?
Silicone wire is not bad for first projects -- they tend to be flexible even when the insulator is very thick. Silicone is not really a good dielectric, though, and the specific wire you link to has a low strand count (7 strands), so it's probably going to be moderately flexible but fatigue easily -- it won't be as nice as the usual Mogami/Canare cables recommended for beginners.
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › Has anyone heard anything about the Oppo HA-1 balanced headphone... 1 second ago
- › Are beats studios worth $75? 43 seconds ago
- › Why do most headphones have recessed mid range? 1 minute ago
- › New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Dac End R 5 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. 7 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob