- 140 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Location: Finland
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone Cables)
Edited on 12/28/12
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesEdited on 8/16/12
- Hi End CablesEdited on 1/8/12
I bought these headphones just for the fun of it, to see how they sound with all that apparently amazing bass. Well, for $50, they're ok sounding for extra bass headphones. They do have a...
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 752post #11266 of 119642/7/13 at 12:48amSo the 23.5awg or 26.5awg are only a single wire and 4x24 has the required four wires in the cable?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11267 of 119642/7/13 at 12:48ampost #11268 of 119642/7/13 at 12:59ampost #11269 of 119642/7/13 at 6:23ampost #11270 of 119642/7/13 at 8:30ampost #11271 of 119642/7/13 at 8:47ampost #11272 of 119642/7/13 at 8:50ampost #11273 of 119642/7/13 at 8:50amQuote:
Depending on the stranding, it could noticeably impact the flexibility and weight of your cable. Either gauge should be fine for just about any headphone. I place a high priority on stranding and flexibility so that I get an easily usable cable.post #11274 of 119642/7/13 at 9:04amQuote:
In a nutshell, yes. Just make sure you solder the proper wires to the proper places (doesn't matter which wires you choose, as long as you choose the same wires on both ends of the cable).post #11275 of 119642/7/13 at 9:14ampost #11276 of 119642/7/13 at 9:18am
Plussound is offering 28ga wire in similar variety as Toxic Cables 26ga, and claims the same quality as Toxic Cable wire! How would 28ga be different than 26ga in the same application? I would think 28ga would be more flexable......but what about sonic qualities, or any other pros or cons?post #11277 of 119642/7/13 at 9:49amQuote:Originally Posted by cute
Plussound is offering 28ga wire in similar variety as Toxic Cables 26ga, and claims the same quality as Toxic Cable wire! How would 28ga be different than 26ga in the same application? I would think 28ga would be more flexable......but what about sonic qualities, or any other pros or cons?
It *might* be more flexible. Depending on how many strands, and what insulator. It might not - toxic's are pretty good.
Audibly, there should be no difference.post #11278 of 119642/7/13 at 10:22am
Smaller gauge does not necessarily mean better flexibility, can depend on strand size, count, layout, annealing and dielectric. I am speaking of wires in general here and not anyone's wire in particular.
The reason the majority of us don't use anything smaller then 26AWG is reliability, anything smaller then 26AWG wires can easily tear with a small tug, unless they have really thick or hard insulation, in which case, it would make the wire stiff.
I have some new 24AWG OCC Copper wire in PE dielectric here if anyone fancies fancies some. The PE is custom formulated and is as flexible as silicone, the most flexible 24AWG wire i have ever come across. It's even more flexible then my 26AWG wire. This wire is non Cryo and 5N, unlike my other wires.
PM me your address liamstrain/couple others, if you would like to try some. I will send you enough for a 6ft cable, so you can tell us what you think.
Edited by Toxic Cables - 2/7/13 at 10:51ampost #11279 of 119642/7/13 at 10:30ampost #11280 of 119642/7/13 at 10:40amQuote:Originally Posted by Shootinputin187
Where do you guys recommend getting cables? What do you guys think about this cable?
Silicone wire is not bad for first projects -- they tend to be flexible even when the insulator is very thick. Silicone is not really a good dielectric, though, and the specific wire you link to has a low strand count (7 strands), so it's probably going to be moderately flexible but fatigue easily -- it won't be as nice as the usual Mogami/Canare cables recommended for beginners.
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a... 43 seconds ago
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!)... 56 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mini3 (aka Mini^3, Mini³, Mini cubed) high performance + charger 1 minute ago
- › Advice needed, portable on-ears 1 minute ago
- › The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions... 2 minutes ago
- › New Earsonics SM2 v2 -- For sale or trade (279 euros direct from... 2 minutes ago
- › UE 900!!! Free Shipping!!!! 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon! 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe