- 143 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Location: Finland
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- what interconnects should i try for a perfectwave dac into a luxman p-1u headphone amp - feeding... Last post on 6/13/12 at 1:37pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone Cables)
Last edited: 12/28/12
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 752post #11266 of 133342/7/13 at 12:48amSo the 23.5awg or 26.5awg are only a single wire and 4x24 has the required four wires in the cable?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11267 of 133342/7/13 at 12:48ampost #11268 of 133342/7/13 at 12:59ampost #11269 of 133342/7/13 at 6:23ampost #11270 of 133342/7/13 at 8:30ampost #11271 of 133342/7/13 at 8:47ampost #11272 of 133342/7/13 at 8:50ampost #11273 of 133342/7/13 at 8:50amQuote:
Depending on the stranding, it could noticeably impact the flexibility and weight of your cable. Either gauge should be fine for just about any headphone. I place a high priority on stranding and flexibility so that I get an easily usable cable.post #11274 of 133342/7/13 at 9:04amQuote:
In a nutshell, yes. Just make sure you solder the proper wires to the proper places (doesn't matter which wires you choose, as long as you choose the same wires on both ends of the cable).post #11275 of 133342/7/13 at 9:14ampost #11276 of 133342/7/13 at 9:18am
Plussound is offering 28ga wire in similar variety as Toxic Cables 26ga, and claims the same quality as Toxic Cable wire! How would 28ga be different than 26ga in the same application? I would think 28ga would be more flexable......but what about sonic qualities, or any other pros or cons?post #11277 of 133342/7/13 at 9:49amQuote:Originally Posted by cute
Plussound is offering 28ga wire in similar variety as Toxic Cables 26ga, and claims the same quality as Toxic Cable wire! How would 28ga be different than 26ga in the same application? I would think 28ga would be more flexable......but what about sonic qualities, or any other pros or cons?
It *might* be more flexible. Depending on how many strands, and what insulator. It might not - toxic's are pretty good.
Audibly, there should be no difference.post #11278 of 133342/7/13 at 10:22am
Smaller gauge does not necessarily mean better flexibility, can depend on strand size, count, layout, annealing and dielectric. I am speaking of wires in general here and not anyone's wire in particular.
The reason the majority of us don't use anything smaller then 26AWG is reliability, anything smaller then 26AWG wires can easily tear with a small tug, unless they have really thick or hard insulation, in which case, it would make the wire stiff.
I have some new 24AWG OCC Copper wire in PE dielectric here if anyone fancies fancies some. The PE is custom formulated and is as flexible as silicone, the most flexible 24AWG wire i have ever come across. It's even more flexible then my 26AWG wire. This wire is non Cryo and 5N, unlike my other wires.
PM me your address liamstrain/couple others, if you would like to try some. I will send you enough for a 6ft cable, so you can tell us what you think.
Edited by Toxic Cables - 2/7/13 at 10:51ampost #11279 of 133342/7/13 at 10:30ampost #11280 of 133342/7/13 at 10:40amQuote:Originally Posted by Shootinputin187
Where do you guys recommend getting cables? What do you guys think about this cable?
Silicone wire is not bad for first projects -- they tend to be flexible even when the insulator is very thick. Silicone is not really a good dielectric, though, and the specific wire you link to has a low strand count (7 strands), so it's probably going to be moderately flexible but fatigue easily -- it won't be as nice as the usual Mogami/Canare cables recommended for beginners.
- DIY Cable Gallery!!
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like... 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - HiFiman visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.084! pg. 1 2 minutes ago
- › Is burn in real or placebo? 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage HOK 80 Orthodynamics 3 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 4 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 6 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 6 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 7 minutes ago
- › Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread 7 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude