Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 679

post #10171 of 13915
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

1) Sleeving depends on what gauge wire you use and how tide a braid you use.  In general, for the sort of standard 24awg wire in polyethylene in a compact 4-wire braid, I believe 5/16" is what I used to use (although it has been a while and someone else should also chime in).

 

2) Lunashops.com.  Takes a while since it is located in Hong Kong, but they carry just about every connector possible and most are well priced and of good quality.

 

Thanks a bunch for your help FraGGIer

post #10172 of 13915

I might have to scrap my carbon connector idea. Figure out how to put 3M Di-Noc on a normal on normal connector... lol

post #10173 of 13915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle3 View Post

I might have to scrap my carbon connector idea. Figure out how to put 3M Di-Noc on a normal on normal connector... lol

 

I may or may not have done that in the past :)  If you put some clear heatshrink of the the whole thing after the Di-Noc, it looks pretty seemless.

post #10174 of 13915

 

 

I have also used the Di Noc method before - please excuse the poor quality photo, and the hairy boot lace! I intend to re sleeve with paracord as time and inclination prevail.

 

Above is a 3.5 to 3.5 IC for my Orbitsound T6 Valve amp dock to single Stereo speaker. And a AC to AC power cable to connect the two. Weird set up I suppose, but it sounds good to me!

 

Used:

Valab Carbon / rhodium 3.5mm Jacks.

Toxic Cables OCC silver

AC 5.5 jacks with Di Noc stuck to the plastic body

Jena Labs 22awg copper sleeved in furry bootlace.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triangle3 View Post

I might have to scrap my carbon connector idea. Figure out how to put 3M Di-Noc on a normal on normal connector... lol

 Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

 

I may or may not have done that in the past :)  If you put some clear heatshrink of the the whole thing after the Di-Noc, it looks pretty seemless.

 

I personaly found it looked better without the clear shrink, as it clings too much to the texture of the Di Noc, and makes it look less realistic. But, having said that, the only clear shrink I have is quite thick walled. Also, you can now get the Di Noc Carbon in a gloss finish. I havent used it, but it probaly looks more like the real thing than the matt stuff.


Edited by cogsand gears - 9/14/12 at 4:42am
post #10175 of 13915
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsand gears View Post

I personaly found it looked better without the clear shrink, as it clings too much to the texture of the Di Noc, and makes it look less realistic. But, having said that, the only clear shrink I have is quite thick walled. Also, you can now get the Di Noc Carbon in a gloss finish. I havent used it, but it probaly looks more like the real thing than the matt stuff.

 

Cool.  I will have to get a sample of the glossy carbon fiber.  I love the matte finish for stuff like my laptop, but glossy would be better for connectors.  The normal 3-1 clear heatshrink I use is ok, but has a slight haze to it.  I have some 2-1 vinyl heatshrink that is nearly glass clear (I only use it for finishing as it is not as flexible or durable as normal heatshrink).

post #10176 of 13915
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

 

Cool.  I will have to get a sample of the glossy carbon fiber.  I love the matte finish for stuff like my laptop, but glossy would be better for connectors.  The normal 3-1 clear heatshrink I use is ok, but has a slight haze to it.  I have some 2-1 vinyl heatshrink that is nearly glass clear (I only use it for finishing as it is not as flexible or durable as normal heatshrink).

I will have to get some of that Vinyl shrink, the stuff I have has a bit of a haze to it too.

post #10177 of 13915

Yes it is East Indian Rosewood!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeisel View Post

 julianbell92 View Post



Re-recabled my Denons, went for a hybrid of Toxic Cables SPC and Copper (for the grounds) in the end. Redoing it gave me the opportunity to correct everything I wasn't quite happy with first time round, like the 4 inch(!) strain relief and the Qables Y-splitter and the Y-split length + difference in distances.

 

 

 

 

Hey sorry for delay but is that east indian rosewood? 

post #10178 of 13915

Firstly does anyone know if multi-quote replies work across more than one page? As in, is it possible to pick multiple quotes from different pages of the thread and then reply?

 

In reply:

Thanks, it's quite difficult to give a definitive answer as I couldn't A-B them and also because I added another lot of Dynamat, this time to the outer ring on the rear of the driver whilst recabling but there definitely wasn't a negative impact. I think that being SPC rather than a totally different conductor silver probably helps. I do think that there was an improvement overall, although it's hard to say whether that's the Dynamat or the cable... I think it's probably a combination of the two. Either way I'm much happier because of how much better it looks now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl addict View Post

Was there a noticeable improvement after this was done?  I was going to use different conductors as you did but opted not to.


"Usually, mixing dielectrics or conductor materials ends up with the worst of both, not the best. There are sometimes exceptions, but generally, it is not a good idea."

 

Something I read on a different forum.  Nice work btw...

post #10179 of 13915
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianbell92 View Post

Firstly does anyone know if multi-quote replies work across more than one page? As in, is it possible to pick multiple quotes from different pages of the thread and then reply?

 

In reply:

Thanks, it's quite difficult to give a definitive answer as I couldn't A-B them and also because I added another lot of Dynamat, this time to the outer ring on the rear of the driver whilst recabling but there definitely wasn't a negative impact. I think that being SPC rather than a totally different conductor silver probably helps. I do think that there was an improvement overall, although it's hard to say whether that's the Dynamat or the cable... I think it's probably a combination of the two. Either way I'm much happier because of how much better it looks now!

Hi Julian, yes you can multi quote over several pages.

 

And, yes they do look handsome! I especialy like the rosewood cups. Your cables not too bad either ;D

post #10180 of 13915
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

 

I may or may not have done that in the past :)  If you put some clear heatshrink of the the whole thing after the Di-Noc, it looks pretty seemless.

Thanks for the tip. <3

post #10181 of 13915

Looks nice, did you notice any sonic difference with the Hybrid cable?  You say the copper was the ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeisel View Post

 julianbell92 View Post



Re-recabled my Denons, went for a hybrid of Toxic Cables SPC and Copper (for the grounds) in the end. Redoing it gave me the opportunity to correct everything I wasn't quite happy with first time round, like the 4 inch(!) strain relief and the Qables Y-splitter and the Y-split length + difference in distances.

 

 

 

 

Hey sorry for delay but is that east indian rosewood? 

post #10182 of 13915

would like to do pure silver for my ath-es7 cans to tone down the bass... actually i have never tried pure silver, but i have done silver plated copper and i really like the effect that silver has on the highs and upper mids. however, having thick copper as the bulk of the wire leaves the bass at least as heavy as with the original cable, usually a little heavier simply, in my opinion, because of the thicker gauge. 

 

not really sure where to get pure silver stranded or how expensive it is. i think i want 22 gauge.


Edited by Skoobs - 9/14/12 at 9:13pm
post #10183 of 13915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoobs View Post

would like to do pure silver for my ath-es7 cans to tone down the bass... actually i have never tried pure silver, but i have done silver plated copper and i really like the effect that silver has on the highs and upper mids. however, having thick copper as the bulk of the wire leaves the bass at least as heavy as with the original cable, usually a little heavier simply, in my opinion, because of the thicker gauge. 

 

not really sure where to get pure silver stranded or how expensive it is. i think i want 22 gauge.

 

22 gauge, especially of solid silver might be too thick and stiff.  Stranded is better for flexibility.  Not sure there are any pure stranded silvers out there except for TWAg, and that isn't for sale to DIY'ers.  Toxic cables makes a mostly silver stranded cable with a touch of gold in 24awg and Plussoundaudio has the same wire in 28awg.  Either should be good for a portable cable.

post #10184 of 13915

Proudly presenting...

 

The Oscar the Grouch USB LOD:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 wire round braid of DHC Nucleotide UPOCC copper

Dark green Type I micro paracord sleeving each wire

Nickel plated USB A connector

Silver LOD connector from Qables

Gray and clear heatshrink

 

In keeping with the Sesame Street theme (Big Bird micro USB cable), I made an Oscar the Grouch charging/data cable for the iPad2.  Conveniently, the USB connector and the silver LOD connector from Qables just happened to have some detailing that are reminiscent of a metal trashcan lid and body.  

 

Updated with better pictures.


Edited by FraGGleR - 9/17/12 at 12:51pm
post #10185 of 13915
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

 

22 gauge, especially of solid silver might be too thick and stiff.  Stranded is better for flexibility.  Not sure there are any pure stranded silvers out there except for TWAg, and that isn't for sale to DIY'ers.  Toxic cables makes a mostly silver stranded cable with a touch of gold in 24awg and Plussoundaudio has the same wire in 28awg.  Either should be good for a portable cable.

Both my stranded Silver wire are actually 26AWG, not 24. It's the rest of my stranded wire, that are 24.


Edited by Toxic Cables - 9/15/12 at 10:47am

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!