or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones? - Page 3

post #31 of 229
The M100 is actually quite clean sounding I don't find it muddy at all. The problem is it's sooo dull minus bass that it just doesn't do it for me other then on the go or for pop music that doesn't require staging and separation.

I've heard the Pro 900 and I quite like it. I dislike the hard dry sound it produces but it's staging and full bass it produces is impressive! I'd like to own it soon. The D600 is a better sounding portable headphone then the M100 and built better.
post #32 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDREEM View Post

The M100 is actually quite clean sounding I don't find it muddy at all. The problem is it's sooo dull minus bass that it just doesn't do it for me other then on the go or for pop music that doesn't require staging and separation.

I've heard the Pro 900 and I quite like it. I dislike the hard dry sound it produces but it's staging and full bass it produces is impressive! I'd like to own it soon. The D600 is a better sounding portable headphone then the M100 and built better.

 

How's the D600 compared to the D7100? Because the latter is... I mean THAT is muddy. I was shocked. 

post #33 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post


If the M100 isn't muddy, I don't know what it is.

Koss PortaPros

Beats Solos

 

A person on this thread or another said coming from the Q701s, the bass isn't muddy. That says a LOT. 

post #34 of 229

There are more to headphones than just sound quality. I know a lot of people who would disagree, but the M-100 is a portable closed-back first and foremost. It doesn't need amping, collapses into a tiny case, is sturdy and weather-resistent (I've walked through torrential downpours with both my V-80 and M-100 to no ill effects) and they are customizable. You're not paying for $300 of sound, although I argue they do sound their money's worth. There are no other headphones that give you all of those features. As I said in my previous post, the M-100 perfectly fulfills what I need in a headphone. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

post #35 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

How's the D600 compared to the D7100? Because the latter is... I mean THAT is muddy. I was shocked. 

D600 isn't muddy. Have tried it before. A little treble happy. 

post #36 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

I really do want to know what you consider better than them in the price range. I'm assuming they're going to be more neutral cans, in which case you're missing what they do. To me, they're better than headphones twice their cost. And I've tried a LOT.


D600
DT770
YAMAHA Pro 500
Pro 900
4 off the top of my head.
post #37 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

How's the D600 compared to the D7100? Because the latter is... I mean THAT is muddy. I was shocked. 

It's similar to the D2000/D5000. The D7100 has loose bass that tightens after a few hours same as the 600. The D7100 was closer to neutral to my ears with a boost in bass it was definitely much better then the M100 to my ears.

I still think the M100 is decent, Dec not muddy at all. I've had 7 and heard lots of pairs and I've noticed that that the sound has changed since when they first came out. It's a lot more balanced but sadly too dull.
post #38 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

I really do want to know what you consider better than them in the price range. I'm assuming they're going to be more neutral cans, in which case you're missing what they do. To me, they're better than headphones twice their cost. And I've tried a LOT.

I can't say for sure, because I'm not into portable headphones and haven't tried many. I mentioned the M-Audio Q40 with bayer/shure pads as probably giving a similar signature. Haven't tried them, but from what I hear, it's a good option, and it would be cheaper.

 

DJDREEM mentions D600, again haven't tried them, but I'd think they would be better sounding. Then again, they probably don't have as cool a look as your M-100's.

 

We need Oregonian to get in here! He is a member here I have talked with, he owns D7000/Pro 900/Fostex 900. He has tried more headphones than myself and has tried M-100 and Q40 as well as D600, I believe. He can probably give you better suggestions on alternatives than I can.

 

Also, like I said, the D2000 and Pro 900 aren't THAT much more expensive if you shop around. I'll try to flag down Oregonian to check out this thread, and give his input since he has heard them all.


Edited by TWerk - 3/29/14 at 3:21pm
post #39 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post
 

There are more to headphones than just sound quality. I know a lot of people who would disagree, but the M-100 is a portable closed-back first and foremost. It doesn't need amping, collapses into a tiny case, is sturdy and weather-resistent (I've walked through torrential downpours with both my V-80 and M-100 to no ill effects) and they are customizable. You're not paying for $300 of sound, although I argue they do sound their money's worth. There are no other headphones that give you all of those features. As I said in my previous post, the M-100 perfectly fulfills what I need in a headphone. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Exactly! I think these are the people best suited for M-100. If SQ is most important, than more research should be done.

post #40 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

Exactly! I think these are the people best suited for M-100. If SQ is most important, than more research should be done.

 

Not true. SQ is a matter of what you want and what you listen to. I put all my music through tons of pairs, I'm big on rock/metal/rap, and nothing really topped the M100s until I picked up the Hope VI. For some, it won't scratch the itch, but for people who listen to more modern music? Can't top it. 

post #41 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Not true. SQ is a matter of what you want and what you listen to. I put all my music through tons of pairs, I'm big on rock/metal/rap, and nothing really topped the M100s until I picked up the Hope VI. For some, it won't scratch the itch, but for people who listen to more modern music? Can't top it. 

 

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm
Monster DNA on-ear
Shure SRH-840
Beats Mixr
V-MODA Crossfade M100 (current)
 
Obviously, the M-100 is the top in this list. No offensive but I mean, Beats? Monster DNA? These are consumer grade, heavily marketed headphones you buy at Best Buy. 
 
Do you have any separate DAC? How do you listen to your music? Ipod, computer?

Edited by TWerk - 3/29/14 at 4:01pm
post #42 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

 

Those are the headphones I've owned. Here's the ones I can recall off-hand I've taken time sampling at places like HiDef Lifestyle and AC Gears in NYC, listened to either out of a Burson Conductor or a VMODA Vamp Verza, coming out of an iPhone 5s in both cases:

 

Audeze LCD2

Denon D7100

Focal Spirit Classic

Focal Spirit Professional

Grado PS1000

Grado PS500

Grado RS1i

HiFiMan HE-400

HiFiMan HE-500

HiFiMan HE-6

Sennheiser HD800

Sennheiser HD650

Sennheiser HD600

Sennheiser Momentum (both kinds)

Shure SRH1540

 

Which isn't counting the others I've heard over the years at Guitar Centers or bought and quickly returned like the Shure SRH840 and the M50. So, sure, there are a bunch I'm missing like the NAD VISO HP50, the P&W P7, Ultrasone Pro 900, and a couple others. But honestly, I think at this point I've heard enough to say with at least mild confidence that the M100s are an excellent purchase. And the fact that I didn't purchase any of those, but I -did- spring the money for the Final Audio Hope VI should tell you that it ISN'T a matter of me wanting to convince myself that I didn't need to spend extra money on better headphones or that I'm just stubbornly refusing to believe something is better for no affixed reason.

post #43 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Those are the headphones I've owned. Here's the ones I can recall off-hand I've taken time sampling at places like HiDef Lifestyle and AC Gears in NYC, listened to either out of a Burson Conductor or a VMODA Vamp Verza, coming out of an iPhone 5s in both cases:

 

Audeze LCD2

Denon D7100

Focal Spirit Classic

Focal Spirit Professional

Grado PS1000

Grado PS500

Grado RS1i

HiFiMan HE-400

HiFiMan HE-500

HiFiMan HE-6

Sennheiser HD800

Sennheiser HD650

Sennheiser HD600

Sennheiser Momentum (both kinds)

Shure SRH1540

 

Which isn't counting the others I've heard over the years at Guitar Centers or bought and quickly returned like the Shure SRH840 and the M50. So, sure, there are a bunch I'm missing like the NAD VISO HP50, the P&W P7, Ultrasone Pro 900, and a couple others. But honestly, I think at this point I've heard enough to say with at least mild confidence that the M100s are an excellent purchase. And the fact that I didn't purchase any of those, but I -did- spring the money for the Final Audio Hope VI should tell you that it ISN'T a matter of me wanting to convince myself that I didn't need to spend extra money on better headphones or that I'm just stubbornly refusing to believe something is better for no affixed reason.

 

But most of this list isn't made of headphones for the "modern" rock and rap type music you like to listen to. Maybe LCD2, HFMAN HE-400, but the others are more a flat audiophile response.

 

Plus, it's really hard to get an idea for whether you like a HP just by sampling it for under an hour. It's really helpful to own the HP to demo it for a while (at least a week or two) before you say that you like it or not. It takes time to adjust to a new sound. Then you can just sell it off if it didn't do it for you.

 

I didn't like my Denons when I first got them because I was used to the sone 900. I had to mod the ear-pads a bit and adjust to the new sound. Now, I love them!

 

I even had them listed on here for sale, but I'm glad I didn't catch a buyer. I really enjoy them now.


Edited by TWerk - 3/29/14 at 4:28pm
post #44 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

But most of this list isn't made of headphones for the "modern" rock and rap type music you like to listen to. Maybe LCD2, HFMAN HE-400, but the others are more a flat audiophile response.

 

Also, It's really hard to get an idea for whether you like a HP just by sampling it for under an hour. It's really helpful to own the HP to demo it for a while (at least a week or two) before you say that you like it or not. It takes time to adjust to a new sound. Then you can just sell it off if it didn't do it for you.

 

Two things.

 

1) That's kinda my point. All the high end stuff I found doesn't work as well as the M100 for modern music. In fact that's what I've been saying repeatedly. The M100s are the kings of the hill if you want that modern thump. What's better? The TH600 and B&W P7 are the only ones I'm aware of that are close to the price range, along with the Ultrasone Pro 900. 

 

2) I want you to pause a moment and understand how FREAKING insane that is to suggest people drop $500-1000, REPEATEDLY, and then take a LOSS on the resale, in order to try headphones. Like, honestly stop and mull that over, the idea of basically burning a few thousand dollars by revolving-door ownership. It also seems to suggest that absolutely every single head-fi meet and store with a showroom is pointless.

post #45 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Two things.

 

1) That's kinda my point. All the high end stuff I found doesn't work as well as the M100 for modern music. In fact that's what I've been saying repeatedly. The M100s are the kings of the hill if you want that modern thump. What's better? The TH600 and B&W P7 are the only ones I'm aware of that are close to the price range, along with the Ultrasone Pro 900. 

 

2) I want you to pause a moment and understand how FREAKING insane that is to suggest people drop $500-1000, REPEATEDLY, and then take a LOSS on the resale, in order to try headphones. Like, honestly stop and mull that over, the idea of basically burning a few thousand dollars by revolving-door ownership. It also seems to suggest that absolutely every single head-fi meet and store with a showroom is pointless.

1) I've been saying (repeatedly along with other members!) that there are others in the "ballpark" price range of the $300 M-100's that are better. Oregonian can help more when he reads this. Also, Fostex 600 isn't in the price range of the M-100's. It's over double.

 

2) It isn't insane at all. You will take some hits, but if you get a good deal, you should be able to sell for right around what you paid.

Sometimes you get a fantastic deal and make more upon selling than what you paid! I've had that happen before too.

 

If you know what you're doing, you don't take huge losses when you buy used and resell used. Suggesting you will burn a few thousand dollars is exaggerated.


Edited by TWerk - 3/29/14 at 4:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?