Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones? - Page 14

post #196 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

Pro 900 warmer than M-100? Uhm no! Pro 900 is very V shape, big bass, high trebles.

 

Also, the Pro 900 is very detailed when you give it enough juice. 

 

You probably should give them another listen there, pal!

 

But the Pro 900 cost 250$ more than the M100 right? I thought we were discussing whether they justify the 300$ price point and if not, which alternates do people have that provide the same features as the M100? I'm confused... :confused_face(1): 

post #197 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGeek View Post
 

 

But the Pro 900 cost 250$ more than the M100 right? I thought we were discussing whether they justify the 300$ price point and if not, which alternates do people have that provide the same features as the M100? I'm confused... :confused_face(1): 

 

I got my Pro 900 for $220. 

post #198 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

I got my Pro 900 for $220. 

 

But would everyone get that price? If i want to buy a headphone tomorrow and my budget is 300$, would i be able to buy the pro 900s? Buying a headphone at an occasional discount doesn't really mean this headphone has a 300$ or less price tag. Unless the Pro 900s are discounted to 220$ every other week they need to be compared to headphones close to its price, not something thats priced 250$ less.

 

This has happened quite a few times in this thread. A fair comparison is comparing the M100 with headphones close to its price, not something thats 2-3 hundred dollars more expensive. So if there is a headphone that has all the features of the M100 and  has a non-discounted price of 300$ or less then i'm sure everyone would love to read about that.

post #199 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGeek View Post
 

 

But would everyone get that price? If i want to buy a headphone tomorrow and my budget is 300$, would i be able to buy the pro 900s? Buying a headphone at an occasional discount doesn't really mean this headphone has a 300$ or less price tag. Unless the Pro 900s are discounted to 220$ every other week they need to be compared to headphones close to its price, not something thats priced 250$ less.

 

This has happened quite a few times in this thread. A fair comparison is comparing the M100 with headphones close to its price, not something thats 2-3 hundred dollars more expensive. So if there is a headphone that has all the features of the M100 and  has a non-discounted price of 300$ or less then i'm sure everyone would love to read about that.

 

Do a completed listing search on Ebay for "Ultrasone Pro 900".

 

You will see they sell about $300, some less if you find a good deal (like I did). Buy used.

 

They really aren't out of the range of M-100's price. 

 

The Ultrasone Pro 750's can be found even cheaper than M-100. Around 175-200. Both are better than it.

 

For simply portable use, without amp and stuff, I really liked the 750, maybe even more than 900.


Edited by TWerk - 4/6/14 at 11:58pm
post #200 of 210
Nuh... The Ultrasones are expensive new on eBay and in the stores... The only way to get the cheap is secondhand but very very rare...

I was lucky enough to get my near new pro 900 for 150
post #201 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

Do a completed listing search on Ebay for "Ultrasone Pro 900".

 

You will see most sell about $300, some less if you find a good deal (like I did). Buy used.

 

They really aren't out of the range of M-100's price. 

 

The Ultrasone Pro 750's can be found even cheaper than M-100. Around 175-200. Both are better than it.

 

For simply portable use, without amp and stuff, I really liked the 750, maybe even more than 900.

 

Found only 1 listing which would have cost me 421 in used condition... ok. Ultrasone Pro 750 is more of a fair comparison but still not there (390$ on amazon US). But i'll repeat my question once again, what if i want to buy a headphone now rather than wait for some deal, what do i get for 300$ if not the V-moda 100 assuming i want majority of the M100's features (looks, portability, SQ etc.).


Edited by TehGeek - 4/7/14 at 12:07am
post #202 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGeek View Post
 

 

Found only 1 listing which would have cost me 421 in used condition... ok. Ultrasone Pro 750 is more of a fair comparison but still not there (390$ on amazon US). But i'll repeat my question once again, what if i want to buy a headphone now rather than wait for some deal, what do i get for 300$ if not the V-moda 100 assuming i want majority of the M100's features (looks, portability, SQ etc.).

 

Maybe you do not know how to use completed listing on Ebay, but there were plenty that sold at the 300 or less mark for Pro 900.

 

$390 is a joke for the 750. I got mine for like $140 from a seller here, on Head-fi. They can be found even on Amazon right now for 235 used. Your numbers are wrong. Again, buy used, not new. BTW Amazon's prices usually suck. That's why we have classifieds here!

 

I'll repeat my answer again, get an Ultrasone Pro 750.

 

Also, look into M-Audio Q40, and add some different pads (Beyer?) because apparently their pads suck. Haven't tried, but hear they aren't bad.


Edited by TWerk - 4/7/14 at 1:27am
post #203 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGeek View Post

Found only 1 listing which would have cost me 421 in used condition... ok. Ultrasone Pro 750 is more of a fair comparison but still not there (390$ on amazon US). But i'll repeat my question once again, what if i want to buy a headphone now rather than wait for some deal, what do i get for 300$ if not the V-moda 100 assuming i want majority of the M100's features (looks, portability, SQ etc.).


Do NOT let anyone tell you which one to get. I have both and they both sound very DIFERENT, so no one can really tell you which one sounds better out of the 2. You'll have to be the judge.

The looks of them are also very different and I'll have to give the looks to the m100 as I think they look much cooler. In terms of portability... The pro 750 is NOT portable at all, it's more designed for home use....
post #204 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMax99 View Post


Do NOT let anyone tell you which one to get. I have both and they both sound very DIFERENT, so no one can really tell you which one sounds better out of the 2. You'll have to be the judge.

The looks of them are also very different and I'll have to give the looks to the m100 as I think they look much cooler. In terms of portability... The pro 750 is NOT portable at all, it's more designed for home use....

 

I agree, he should try them both and see what he likes better. He asked for a suggestion, so I gave him mine.

 

I also agree the M-100's are cooler looking, if he's into that. They are also more portable, sure.


Edited by TWerk - 4/7/14 at 3:11am
post #205 of 210

To quote an earlier poster, this thread is surreal. The OP posited the question, responded once and sat back to revel in the hell he/she hath wrought: over 200 posts of agreement, dissent, chest beating, comparisons (some quite fair, others, not so much) queries and answers. I’ve been loosely following it and some of the responses are hilarious in their passion, but I guess it’s only fitting since this is supposed to be a “personal” hobby – what else would one expect? The original question, which has seemed to be lost in all of the discourse is, “Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?” Wow. That is simply impossible to answer objectively, hence the fourteen pages (so far) of subjecture. I mean, define “overrated”. Define “enough experience”. How about the ratings by people with “enough experience” (whatever that is)? If they like them, are they “overrated” then? To quote William Jefferson Clinton, “It depends on what your definition of ‘is’ is.”

 

Hmm, I guess I’ll go stir up some trouble and post something about some headphones I’ve never heard before: “Yo! About those (insert hotly debated ‘phones of your choice here) – I need to ax you a question…”   :evil:

post #206 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funambulistic View Post
 

To quote an earlier poster, this thread is surreal. The OP posited the question, responded once and sat back to revel in the hell he/she hath wrought: over 200 posts of agreement, dissent, chest beating, comparisons (some quite fair, others, not so much) queries and answers. I’ve been loosely following it and some of the responses are hilarious in their passion, but I guess it’s only fitting since this is supposed to be a “personal” hobby – what else would one expect? The original question, which has seemed to be lost in all of the discourse is, “Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?” Wow. That is simply impossible to answer objectively, hence the fourteen pages (so far) of subjecture. I mean, define “overrated”. Define “enough experience”. How about the ratings by people with “enough experience” (whatever that is)? If they like them, are they “overrated” then? To quote William Jefferson Clinton, “It depends on what your definition of ‘is’ is.”

 

Hmm, I guess I’ll go stir up some trouble and post something about some headphones I’ve never heard before: “Yo! About those (insert hotly debated ‘phones of your choice here) – I need to ax you a question…”   :evil:

 

Agreed. 

 

How does one ever "HAVE ENOUGH EXPERIENCE" with something like headphones?

post #207 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by RMac View Post

 

Now that I have your attention " src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" /> let me state my case.



Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the top of the line V-Modas are the M100's which sit at $300.  When I look at this headphone, yeah I'm judging a book by its cover but it just doesn't seem like a bonafide good headphone.  If I didn't know any better, I'd think it was Skullcandy trying to market their products to goths and steampunks and whatnot.



So I'm a bit judgmental.  But there is no way for me to audition these and they just don't scream $300 to me.  $150 at best.   You can get the excellent Hifiman HE-400's for $300 new these days.



 



Does anyone have credible experience with the V-Modas and would still crown them as a good brand?  Or has it been hyped up by kids who don't know no better?





 



I am jumping in a bit late,  but I agree with the statement.  The V-Modas are stylish headphones but they are not exactly high fidelity.    I have the M-80s and cannot believe that they are actually mentioned in the same breath as Momentum On-Ears, for example.     For $300, the NAD HP50s would destroy the M100s if they have a similar sound signature.



 



Please note that there is no value judgement assigned to this statement - if you like the M80/100 house sound, then they might well be the perfect headphone for you.   But they do not do a good job of reproducing instruments accurately.

post #208 of 210

Sooo the V-Moda M100 was actually my "first pair of hi-fi headphones," and they were the pair of headphones that got me into this hobby.

 

I really loved them at the time, and will always think good things about em... but honestly after trying a wide variety of headphones, it is kinda true: the V-Moda are quite pricey for their sound quality at $310. You can easily find headphones with comparable sound quality (though different sound signatures) from $150-$300. If you love the V-Moda M100's sound signature/looks/build though, then sure, it's worth it. However, they are definitely not 'audiophile' (defined as being as accurate to the source as possible aka neutral). They are great portable headphones with a fashionable look and solid build quality. They are extremely bass-boosted (compared to the other respectable audiophile headphones)... which makes em great for EDM and hip hop for sure (my fav genres too heh), but probably not really a great all-rounder.

 

These are my honest impressions after trying every single $200-$400 pair of portable headphones I could get my hands on and trying out the classically recommended $300-500 open headphones.

 

For everyone who loves their M100 but hasn't tried any other pairs of headphones, I would strongly recommend trying out as many other pairs of headphones as you can. Especially if you venture into the open $300-500 headphones such as HD650, HE400, DT880, and Q701, you really start to get a sense of why a lot of people here are meh about the M100s. You will hear what the M100s are missing in terms of sound quality after trying out these other headphones. Legit the $300 HE-400 has seriously amazing bass and amazing details that totally blows the M100 away. I've done a lot of direct comparisons. Of course, comparing open to closed headphones aren't fair, but it really does help you understand what you are missing out and why people go crazy spending small fortunes on headphones/amps/dacs.

 

The M100 are a solid choice in the $200-500 portable headphone category with a great durable and fashionable design. Probably one of the best portable choices in this price range for a hardcore basshead. However, there are a lot of other portable closed headphones with the same or better sound quality at this price range. It does come down to preferences, but I would highly recommend people to experiment and try other things as well :)

post #209 of 210

I have no idea what other people think of them.  I had no awareness of the V-Moda name before I tried the various V-Modas in my local headphone shop along with the NAD HP-50.  I bought the V-Moda XS because I found it was more crisp and neutral than the other V-Modas and I really like the form factor and build quality.  I found the NAD sound to be a little muddy and I was not enamoured with the style or build quality of the HP-50.

post #210 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaudio View Post
 

I have no idea what other people think of them.  I had no awareness of the V-Moda name before I tried the various V-Modas in my local headphone shop along with the NAD HP-50.  I bought the V-Moda XS because I found it was more crisp and neutral than the other V-Modas and I really like the form factor and build quality.  I found the NAD sound to be a little muddy and I was not enamoured with the style or build quality of the HP-50.

 

The HP-50 do sound a little thick at first, they never really lose that warmth/thickness, but it does decrease with time.  I feel the same way about the XS though, a very well-designed headphone that is more neutral with crisp treble. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones?