or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › DSD music file impression and appreciation thread and file sharing link
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DSD music file impression and appreciation thread and file sharing link - Page 2

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

Tell me how to do it, I'll see what I can do. Do I use Audacity or some app like that?

 

You could capture the spectrum of the whole file with Audacity, which could be interesting, but you'll have no way to know what is signal and what is noise. You'll have to include a time variant to do that.

One crude way of doing it with Audacity would be to chop the file of in short chunks, and analyze each chunk by itself. Then you can compare the average spectrums of each chunk and see which parts of it varies over time, and which do not (that would be noise). 

I've done much the same in the past using a program called Baudline. If you're on a PC or a Linux machine, I'm sure you can use RMAA to do the same in a more automated manner.

post #17 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

I thought I'd share my thoughts here on DSD, although I probably have longer "experience" with SACD rather than DSD as I've been buying SACDs since 2000. Back then it was buying SACD and their equivalent CD's and comparing on speaker systems. Comparing between the two was a hit 'n miss. Some like Dave Brubeck's Take Five it wasn't difficult to hear a difference between the two but some other SACD vs CD albums, it wasn't so obvious.

For DSD on the other hand, all my 24/192's come from the same SACD/DSD source (I'll leave it up to you to research how extraction is done). In that case, at least in my home iMac -> Invicta -> Stax I have to admit I find it hard pressed to hear a difference. I don't know if it's because 24/192 is truly indistinguishable from it's DSD source, or during the SACD -> DSD extraction that the DSD had degraded 'cos after all the extraction is done in a "DIY" setup rather than a professional studio. One thing to note though is that the 24/192 files I've downsampled/converted are even bigger than the original DSF/DFF files they came from.

As for a more generic thought on DSD, as I wrote in the NW-ZX1 thread, I wrote the following :-

 

I like to see DSD flourish in the audio world but I hope that it's more than just a buzzword and readers understand that DSD doesn't always mean "better".

Thank you Sean for Sharing Your DSD and SACD information beerchug.gif
I am as Computer zero must learn more biggrin.gif
Edited by rudi0504 - 3/25/14 at 9:34am
post #18 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpidglitch View Post

You could capture the spectrum of the whole file with Audacity, which could be interesting, but you'll have no way to know what is signal and what is noise. You'll have to include a time variant to do that.


One crude way of doing it with Audacity would be to chop the file of in short chunks, and analyze each chunk by itself. Then you can compare the average spectrums of each chunk and see which parts of it varies over time, and which do not (that would be noise). 
I've done much the same in the past using a program called Baudline. If you're on a PC or a Linux machine, I'm sure you can use RMAA to do the same in a more automated manner.

Thank you For Sharing Your Knowledge Here beerchug.gif
post #19 of 44

where can i get dad files to download ? 

i have no clue wat dsd is , as of now using flac. 

 

is there a website to download dad files ? hd tracks ?

post #20 of 44

I have about 5000+ DSD 64fs (SACD rips), 50 - DSD 128fs and 4 - DSD 256fs files playing through exaSound e20 mkIII DAC with .082fs femto clock.

 

Best sound I've ever obtained on my system is this one DSD256 (11.2896 MHz) recording of Paganini solo violin piece by 1bit audio consortium. 

 

Simply mind blowing... I played violin for 25 years and this is the next closest thing to a live music on my system.

 

Few places where I buy and download DSD files:  

http://www.pentatonemusic.com/artists/julia-fischer-soloist

http://store.acousticsounds.com/g/10/Classical

http://www.opus3records.com/

https://nativedsd.com/

http://www.2l.no/


Edited by tgx78 - 3/30/14 at 1:24am
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgx78 View Post
 

I have about 5000+ DSD 64fs (SACD rips), 50 - DSD 128fs and 4 - DSD 256fs files playing through exaSound e20 mkIII DAC with .082fs femto clock.

 

Best sound I've ever obtained on my system is this one DSD256 (11.2896 MHz) recording of Paganini solo violin piece by 1bit audio consortium. 

 

Simply mind blowing... I played violin for 25 years and this is the next closest thing to a live music on my system.

 

Few places where I buy and download DSD files:  

http://www.pentatonemusic.com/artists/julia-fischer-soloist

http://store.acousticsounds.com/g/10/Classical

http://www.opus3records.com/

https://nativedsd.com/

http://www.2l.no/

thank u ,

is there any site where i can get trance, hip hop, ambient dsd music files ?

 

honestly i don't even know what dsd is , i think its just another format , 

post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by liyzag1 View Post
 

thank u ,

is there any site where i can get trance, hip hop, ambient dsd music files ?

 

honestly i don't even know what dsd is , i think its just another format , 

 

This is what this thread is all about. Take a look at the 1st post and it has links to tell you what DSD is.

post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

This is what this thread is all about. Take a look at the 1st post and it has links to tell you what DSD is.

is there any site where i can get trance, hip hop, ambient dsd music files ?

post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by liyzag1 View Post
 

is there any site where i can get trance, hip hop, ambient dsd music files ?

 

Not as far as I know. But then again I've not gone around looking for that genre.

post #25 of 44

If anyone wants to convert DSD recordings to allow playback on non-DSD capable players then use Korg's AudioGate (latest version 2.3.3). It allows you to change formats to WAV, BWF, AIFF, DSDIFF, DSF, WSD, ACC, ALAC, or FLAC. It's a winner.

 

Also... a few weeks ago I downloaded an incredible DSD recording from AccousticSounds.com... "Band of Horses: Live at the Ryman". It was recorded live to DSD in an auditorium with incredible acoustics then mixed & mastered in DSD. Absolutely the best live-sound that I've every heard. 

post #26 of 44

Is this what you are talking about? 2006_nagano_ohba.wsd. How do you open a wsd file? Saw another link that you have to modify it someway to play it.

post #27 of 44

Why is there a impression and appreciation thread in science?  

 

We cannot have such subjective thread purveying here.  

 

 

I'll be back with some objective holy water.


Edited by SilverEars - 4/30/14 at 9:09pm
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

Why is there a impression and appreciation thread in science?  

We cannot have such subjective thread purveying here.  




I'll be back with some objective holy water.

Ha ha, that picture made my afternoon biggrin.gif
post #29 of 44

Hey Rudi. Thanks for posting this thread. Im interested in DSD too and listened to some DSD files in Singapore on the weekend. Impressive to my ears Just wish the format was easier to obtain. 

 

Would have been great if the iBasso gear played DSD or DSF natively too. Now I wished I kept my fat PS3 so I could have ripped SACDs.

post #30 of 44

Well if you are interested in some details of the format and how it performs here are some useful links.

 

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/09/measurements-pcm-to-dsd-upsampling.html

 

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/04/analysis-comparison-of-dsd-encoders.html

 

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-teac-ud-501-dsd-performance.html

 

This has measurements of actual DSD peformance vs PCM and also of the various conversion and upsampling software available.  Regular SACD/DSD looks to have performance roughly equivalent to 96 khz/20 bit PCM.  It is overlayed with ultrasonic noise.  Double DSD pushes the noise higher in frequency still though presumably we cannot hear it anyway. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › DSD music file impression and appreciation thread and file sharing link