or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread - Page 36

post #526 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

So you pretty much never have the 3D off? That's high praise for a crossfeed circuit. And excellent news, as I enjoy a well executed crossfeed.

I'm still trying to decide if I like it on or off. One thing that I think I am hearing is slightly elevated bass with it on when using my HD800s. Definitely a bonus. No noise issues like some have had.
post #527 of 2304

Mike, you nailed the instructions to a T.. if one chooses to use the buttons on the GO to adjust the volume.  If one decides to adjust the volume from within Windows (or via hotkeys that are mapped to the mixer), it's easier since Windows typically remember where your volume was set if you unplug/replug the GO.  I use both IEMs and full sized phones with my GO1000.. when using IEMs, I prefer to use the volume buttons on the GO since it offer a greater degree of control, especially at low volumes.  When using full sized phones, I opt to use the hotkeys on my Lenovo Thinkpad.  Since my full sized phones aren't as sensitive as the HD650, etc., the hotkeys have enough granularity for low volume listening.

post #528 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post


I'm still trying to decide if I like it on or off. One thing that I think I am hearing is slightly elevated bass with it on when using my HD800s. Definitely a bonus. No noise issues like some have had.

 

I use it with HD800, HD650 and LCX from time to time. My 3D is on and off too... Depends on which kind of music and recording I'm in...

 

I built 18 models for time/phase difference and cross feed percentage. If space allow, I would like to put 3 to 5 3D models in the circuit, so the applicable range will be a lot wider.

 

So now, I settle with on or off... ;-)

post #529 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post


Once you start using the buttons for volume control it shouldn't jump anymore even if you turn the 3d on and off.

 

That is correct.

 

And next firmware version will make the whole thing even easier... 

We plan to have that done within 3 weeks.

 

Larry

post #530 of 2304
My attempt at instructions for safely using the GO (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

Ok, so please feel free to help me edit these instructions for safely using the Geek Out:

1) Unplug headphones from the GO.
2) Attach the GO to USB port of Mac or PC.
3) Confirm power LED is lit on the GO.
4) Increase system volume to 100% (for maximum bit depth).
5) Press both GO buttons if 3D is desired.
6) Press and hold the GO's down volume button for a few seconds (?)
7) Plug in your headphones.
8) Start playing music.
9) Put on your headphones.
10) Press the GO's up volume button to desired level.

To toggle 3D (on or off), unplug headphones and go back to step 5.

Does this make sense?

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

Once you start using the buttons for volume control it shouldn't jump anymore even if you turn the 3d on and off.

 

OK, that's good - so, there's no need to go back to Step 5 every time you want to toggle the 3D...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post
 

Mike, you nailed the instructions to a T, if one chooses to use the buttons on the GO to adjust the volume.  

 

If one decides to adjust the volume from within Windows (or via hotkeys that are mapped to the mixer), it's easier since Windows typically remember where your volume was set if you unplug/replug the GO.

 

[snip]

 

Thanks - I'm surprised I got the instructions right, frankly - I was just trying to reconcile everything that's been posted on the subject.

 

What's your take on my earlier post regarding loss of bit depth?

 

Mike


Edited by zilch0md - 5/8/14 at 11:28pm
post #531 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

Ok, so please feel free to help me edit these instructions for safely using the Geek Out:

1) Unplug headphones from the GO.
2) Attach the GO to USB port of Mac or PC.
3) Confirm power LED is lit on the GO.
4) Increase system volume to 100% (for maximum bit depth).
5) Press both GO buttons if 3D is desired.
6) Press and hold the GO's down volume button for a few seconds (?)
7) Plug in your headphones.
8) Start playing music.
9) Put on your headphones.
10) Press the GO's up volume button to desired level.

To toggle 3D (on or off), unplug headphones and go back to step 5.

Does this make sense?

 

Fool proof update to above:

 

1) Unplug headphones from the GO

2) Wait for firmware update that fixes volume problem/confusion

3) Enjoy GO

 

caveat: easy for me to say, i won't get my GO for another couple of weeks :)

post #532 of 2304

What if I don't plan to use this with headphones at all but as line out into aux-input of my car stereo?

 

Any recommendations on which output to use and how to set volume?

I plan to use the analog volume control on my car stereo, so I just need STABLE volume settings from the media server (Squeezelite will have fixed, 100% volume)

and the GO.  I can set the input sensitivity of the aux-in of the car stereo to match other inputs (XM, FM, etc).

 

Thoughts?

post #533 of 2304

 

I managed to scavenge an old CPU heatsink plus another motherboard heatsink to help cool the GO 450.

 

Previously it was very warm (but not so hot until it was uncomfortable to hold) but now it just slightly warm.

post #534 of 2304

Haha, I thought of salvaging old computer parts too, but I threw my old computer stuffs away during last spring cleaning. This looks... extreme!

 

Where do you get the cable that is connected to your 47 Ohm output?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcwc View Post
 

 

I managed to scavenge an old CPU heatsink plus another motherboard heatsink to help cool the GO 450.

 

Previously it was very warm (but not so hot until it was uncomfortable to hold) but now it just slightly warm.

post #535 of 2304

I got the cable from a Low Yat forummer (can't recall his handle now).

post #536 of 2304
Loving my GO 1000, have used it with a few different iems and full size phones. I find it improves pretty much everything you plug into it, but some phones more than others. Full size phones generally get more improvement than iems (haven't tried a huge number of iems, but have run a number of well regarded ones), and the improvement varies in full size phones as well. The Shure 1540 improves, but the amount is less than the Senn 650.the Senn improvement is nowhere near what I hear with the Thinksound On1, which I thought were OK but not stellar, until I tried them in the GO1000. WOW! The change was amazing! They blew me away! Fun to experiment with different phones and see how they change.
post #537 of 2304
Anyone try replacing the included USB cable? With what?
post #538 of 2304
With Audioquest Dragontail.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro
post #539 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-i-c-k-e-y View Post

With Audioquest Dragontail.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro
Is that better than the included cable quality/sound wise, longer at all (would be nice, but doesn't seem significantly longer, at least the one on Amazon). Thanks
post #540 of 2304

Better quality yes (cable from Audioquest Carbon series), longer no (11cm/4.375inces)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread