or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread - Page 31

post #451 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by amham View Post
 

Received my GO 720 today.  At first I had a heck of a time trying to figure out the volume.  Glad this thread clarified it for me. Seems to me that the GO internal volume should be set to a maximum (without distortion) and the OS should control the volume.   Now, I agree with most that has been said.   It is just a bit on the bright side, not objectionable but titled in that direction.  Using HD800's and listening to Time Out DSD64 via Audirvana+, did I hear a couple of clicks? Not sure but listening very closely and if there are any they are very intermittent (of course, there should be none).  I'm somewhat troubled by the max volume necessary to listen at my normal "detailed" volume level.  A+ is set at -10db.  This seems to indicate that the max volume output is just a few db's up.  Is this correct or do I have the volume messed up still?  Overall nice tone and detail, a "keeper".  However I'm having difficulty getting the USB to fit tight enough to stay put either with the extension or directly into my MAC Pro Retina.  

I can only get to 50% before getting my HD800s up to "way too loud" on my Go 450 on Windows 8.1.  Not familiar enough with Macs to help with your settings, but either you listen much louder than I or your settings are off.

 

Also, the more I listen, the more I like it with the T20RPs and the HD650s, but just a bit too lean with the HD800s.  Great resolution, detail, etc., just not enough heft to be a perfect match.  Only a touch disappointed since the HD800 was one of the reference headphones - I had hoped for a slightly more synergistic pairing.  I hope that the Pulse X will be a touch weightier with the larger power supplies.

post #452 of 2304

IMO Just reseat the DAC to reset the Geek volume and only control via the OS / A+.

 

They both control the 64-step volume control built-in to the ESS Sabre but from what I understand by adjusting it from the DAC the volume position is not reflected in the "OS". Much better to just control from one place (the source).

 

Once you are driving from A+ or the OS please let us know what your attenuation is.

 

Properly set-up the OS, A+, and Audio MIDI set-up volumes all move in lock-step and in real-time. ;)

 

Here check this out... it might help out:

 

http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekout/1040-geek-101-macintosh-set-up-guide.html

http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekout/1040-geek-101-macintosh-set-up-guide.html#18040

post #453 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amham View Post
 

Received my GO 720 today.  At first I had a heck of a time trying to figure out the volume.  Glad this thread clarified it for me. Seems to me that the GO internal volume should be set to a maximum (without distortion) and the OS should control the volume.   Now, I agree with most that has been said.   It is just a bit on the bright side, not objectionable but titled in that direction.  Using HD800's and listening to Time Out DSD64 via Audirvana+, did I hear a couple of clicks? Not sure but listening very closely and if there are any they are very intermittent (of course, there should be none).  I'm somewhat troubled by the max volume necessary to listen at my normal "detailed" volume level.  A+ is set at -10db.  This seems to indicate that the max volume output is just a few db's up.  Is this correct or do I have the volume messed up still?  Overall nice tone and detail, a "keeper".  However I'm having difficulty getting the USB to fit tight enough to stay put either with the extension or directly into my MAC Pro Retina.  

I can only get to 50% before getting my HD800s up to "way too loud" on my Go 450 on Windows 8.1.  Not familiar enough with Macs to help with your settings, but either you listen much louder than I or your settings are off.

 

Also, the more I listen, the more I like it with the T20RPs and the HD650s, but just a bit too lean with the HD800s.  Great resolution, detail, etc., just not enough heft to be a perfect match.  Only a touch disappointed since the HD800 was one of the reference headphones - I had hoped for a slightly more synergistic pairing.  I hope that the Pulse X will be a touch weightier with the larger power supplies.

Of course, each recorded track/album is recorded at differing levels so my volume level is specific to only this recording.  However, I do not listen at loud/elevated levels.  Checking the A+ setup again...seems I still do not have the hang of this GO volume thingy...If I raise the volume using the GO button and then change the A+ volume the overall volume drops right down.  Then need to adjust the GO buttons again up.  So I can't use the operating system volume to control the overall level, it drops the GO down significantly.  What's happening here???  

post #454 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by amham View Post
 

Received my GO 720 today.  At first I had a heck of a time trying to figure out the volume.  Glad this thread clarified it for me. Seems to me that the GO internal volume should be set to a maximum (without distortion) and the OS should control the volume.   Now, I agree with most that has been said.   It is just a bit on the bright side, not objectionable but titled in that direction.  Using HD800's and listening to Time Out DSD64 via Audirvana+, did I hear a couple of clicks? Not sure but listening very closely and if there are any they are very intermittent (of course, there should be none).  I'm somewhat troubled by the max volume necessary to listen at my normal "detailed" volume level.  A+ is set at -10db.  This seems to indicate that the max volume output is just a few db's up.  Is this correct or do I have the volume messed up still?  Overall nice tone and detail, a "keeper".  However I'm having difficulty getting the USB to fit tight enough to stay put either with the extension or directly into my MAC Pro Retina.  

 

 

Out of the box, I found it to tend that direction too. It did mellow/warm with play time(50-75 hours), and this was one of the early GO1000s that Larry had already put some good hours on testing. I would recommend getting some hours on yours before you come to a complete conclusion about where it's matching up best.

With proper USB port and mac/player settings sorted, I get a click when engaging the awesomifier but that is about it. Not adjusting volume or any other playback.

post #455 of 2304

does any one have an ak 240? and if so how does the geek out compared?  I know there in two different product categories but the comparison might give a baseline to how the geek wave might stack up to it.

 

also I am interested  (obviously if possible) if anyone can post there thoughts on how it stacks up against the resonessence concero hp.

post #456 of 2304

Wait for the dual-mono Geek Wave next week. There we will have some competition...

post #457 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-i-c-k-e-y View Post
 

Wait for the dual-mono Geek Wave next week. There we will have some competition...


went to the indiegogo page but didn't see an option for this update.

post #458 of 2304

The update should be coming sometime during the week.

post #459 of 2304

this raises a question will the dual mono geek wave be a better deal than the geek pulse xf?

 

Their digital to analog circuitry should be the same (assuming the femtoclock upgrade also made the list), and using line out and some good cables, the audio output should be the same for any set-up.  However the geek wave will be battery powered while the geek pulse xf will use AC power, thus without further upgrades to the geek pulse (LPS and/or geek blue) the geek wave would be the better deal.  True pricing has yet to be set, but not only is the geek wave more versatile (portable and compatible with more operating systems iOS, OSX, Android, Windows) it also comes with onboard memory and the duet engine that was left out of the geek out and geek pulse. I was intrigued when some user reported using the geek out + ifi iusbpower together to reduce jitter from the computer thinking this could be a low cost alternative to the geek pulse + LPS set up for us that didn't manage/couldn't support the indiegogo project but it seems there is still better deals on the horizon.

post #460 of 2304

I got my GO 720, and am hearing a sputtering hum when the 3D circuit is engaged. I can hear it clearly with the music off, and it's not subtle. I can hear through my full-size headphones (AT-W3000ANV). The unit is dead quiet with the 3D circuit off.


Edited by mink70 - 5/4/14 at 9:03pm
post #461 of 2304

Another not-so-cool discovery: with the 3D circuit on, when I adjust the volume in Audirvana +, moving the volume dial sends a kind of ripping sounds through the headphones. This happens plugged into both of the USB ports in the MacBook Pro. With the 3D circuit off, there's no noise and no ripping sound. 

 

The real shame is that the 3D crossfeed circuit in the GO is the best I've ever heard, with no audible penalty in clarity and a really subtle, pleasant spacial effect. 


Edited by mink70 - 5/4/14 at 11:08am
post #462 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post
 

Another not-so-cool discovery: with the 3D circuit on, when I adjust the volume in Audirvana +, moving the volume dial sends a kind of ripping sounds through the headphones. This happens plugged into both of the USB ports in the MacBook Pro. With the 3D circuit off, there's no noise and no ripping sound. 

 

The real shame is that the 3D crossfeed circuit in the GO is the best I've ever heard, with no audible penalty in clarity and a really subtle, pleasant spacial effect. 

 

There is a thread on the LH labs forum dealing with 3D issues. If you want to provide feedback, leaving as much info about your chain from computer down to phones would likely help.

 

It was a welcome surprise to find how very subtle it is, I haven't had any noise issues and it is actually a good addition.

post #463 of 2304

WOW.   :eek:   Geek Out 1000 > HD600.   This is the combo that I was looking for.  I have my open, transportable rig.

Reply
post #464 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post
 

WOW.   :eek:   Geek Out 1000 > HD600.   This is the combo that I was looking for.  I have my open, transportable rig.

I am rocking the GO1000 and my HD650's right now. Fantastic setup. I am using Audirvana+ with some great DSD and 24/192 FLAC files......

post #465 of 2304

I wonder if anyone has had the chance to listen to the hd600 with a GO450.

 

I will probably return my viso hp50s and get those.  I know it's gonna be a different ball game when my pulse arrives and plan on running them balanced.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread