Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread - Page 24

post #346 of 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbal View Post
 

Has anyone tried these over USB OTG yet? I'm assuming a secondary power supply would be required or heavily recommended but I'm still curious as to whether it works

I did. I used a Y cable, external battery, and a Nexus 5.

 

The GO 1000 DID power up, but one of the lights was blue (not the 3D blue light), and it would not initialize in Cyanogenmod or UAPP. I was bummed. My Aune T1 works over USB OTG.

 

Hoping CM, UAPP, or even LH Labs somehow adds support for this in the future.

post #347 of 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbal View Post
 

Has anyone tried these over USB OTG yet? I'm assuming a secondary power supply would be required or heavily recommended but I'm still curious as to whether it works

I haven't been able to get mine to work yet on my Galaxy Note II.  I have connected directly and through a powered hub.  I have also tried UAPP with no luck either.  

post #348 of 1069

From what I understand, Android devices are going to potentially run into issues depending on what bootrom you're using. Since the GO is USB 2.0 and requires drivers for Windows, you would need a bootrom that supports USB OTG over 2.0 protocols and not just 1.2. Then again, I could be completely wrong. I'm an Apple junkie and my experience with Android is limited to only a couple of phones over about a month and a half.

post #349 of 1069

My understanding is that the GO1000 draws too much current for USB OTG.. but the 450 is rumored to work via OTG.  My S4 has the latest version of Touchwiz, so I'll give it a spin with my GO1000 and report back.

post #350 of 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

From what I understand, Android devices are going to potentially run into issues depending on what bootrom you're using. Since the GO is USB 2.0 and requires drivers for Windows, you would need a bootrom that supports USB OTG over 2.0 protocols and not just 1.2. Then again, I could be completely wrong. I'm an Apple junkie and my experience with Android is limited to only a couple of phones over about a month and a half.

I haven't dug deeper, but I was able to get a CEntrance HifiM8 which is a USB 2.0 device to work with my Note II using USB Audio Player Pro.  I have posted in a couple places on LHLabs about Android and the Wave.  I don't think they have figured out how they are going to do it right outside of Bluetooth streaming.  If they can get it to work via OTG like they are saying they will, then I am sure it will trickle down to the Geek if we can't sort it out earlier.

post #351 of 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

I haven't dug deeper, but I was able to get a CEntrance HifiM8 which is a USB 2.0 device to work with my Note II using USB Audio Player Pro.  I have posted in a couple places on LHLabs about Android and the Wave.  I don't think they have figured out how they are going to do it right outside of Bluetooth streaming.  If they can get it to work via OTG like they are saying they will, then I am sure it will trickle down to the Geek if we can't sort it out earlier.

They also showed a very early prototype working with a Samsung SIII, so I'm not sure what has changed.  My Note II and most later Galaxy variants all have very similar USB OTG protocols which got me hopeful.

post #352 of 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

I haven't dug deeper, but I was able to get a CEntrance HifiM8 which is a USB 2.0 device to work with my Note II using USB Audio Player Pro.  I have posted in a couple places on LHLabs about Android and the Wave.  I don't think they have figured out how they are going to do it right outside of Bluetooth streaming.  If they can get it to work via OTG like they are saying they will, then I am sure it will trickle down to the Geek if we can't sort it out earlier.

 

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your post, but the HiFiM8 is not powered by the USB port, as is the Geek Out.

post #353 of 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

 

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your post, but the HiFiM8 is not powered by the USB port, as is the Geek Out.

Oh I know.  I used a powered hub in my short experiments with the Geek Out to make sure that wasn't the issue.

post #354 of 1069

I am a little confused by people using the 1000 with low impedence phones. Why would you do this? Can you hurt the IEMs or OTE cans this way? I just got a pair of Oppo PM-1 which are rated at 32 OHM impedence and see that for me the 450 would be all I need. Is it unsafe to go higher? I don't want to lose dynamics but as it is the 450 provides more output than all other portable amps I was looking at. Any advice?

post #355 of 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiderman View Post
 

I am a little confused by people using the 1000 with low impedence phones. Why would you do this? Can you hurt the IEMs or OTE cans this way? I just got a pair of Oppo PM-1 which are rated at 32 OHM impedence and see that for me the 450 would be all I need. Is it unsafe to go higher? I don't want to lose dynamics but as it is the 450 provides more output than all other portable amps I was looking at. Any advice?

 

Aside from the impedance, it also depends on the sensitivity of the IEM. I'm currently using Thinksound ms01 with the Geek Out 1000. Initially I thought it will be too powerful for my IEM. So I plug my ms01 in with caution when I first plugged it in to the GO1000. To my surprise I was able to crank the volume level to about 45% and still able to listen to it comfortably. Apparently the ms01's sensitivity is not very high (96 ±3 dB @ 1KHz 1mW). I will be getting my GO450 soon and hopefully I can compare both of them in terms of power handling and synergy.

post #356 of 1069

Geek Out 1000 has 2 outputs, one for low impedance phones and one for high impedance phones and/or external amp. Correct?

post #357 of 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matias View Post
 

Geek Out 1000 has 2 outputs, one for low impedance phones and one for high impedance phones and/or external amp. Correct?

 From Geek Out user manual:

Quote:
There are two 3.5mm analog output jacks found on the bottom of your Geek Out with an output impedance of .47ohm and 47ohm. You will want to use the .47ohm that is indicated with a headphone symbol for lower impedance headphones. The 47ohms is a line out for bigger impedance headphones. This is also used for other equipment such as external amplifiers and 
stereo equipment.

 

You can download the manual and windows driver here: http://geek.lhlabs.com/geekoutsupport.html

post #358 of 1069
I'm no technical expert, and am probably doing it wrong, but I find sometimes using the high output jack on the GO 1000 just sounds better. I just got Thinksound on1 in the mail, thought it sounded a bit muddy through my Fiio X3 (with or without ALO National amp), figured I'd try it with the Geek. The 0.47 ohm was a bit better, still a bit muddy. Put it on the 47 Ohm, cleared up, sounds nice. I've tried it on a number of headphones, find sometimes I like the one that shouldn't be the correct one.
post #359 of 1069
Went back to the 0.47 ohm, it actually does sound better...
post #360 of 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungyaw View Post
 

 

Aside from the impedance, it also depends on the sensitivity of the IEM. I'm currently using Thinksound ms01 with the Geek Out 1000. Initially I thought it will be too powerful for my IEM. So I plug my ms01 in with caution when I first plugged it in to the GO1000. To my surprise I was able to crank the volume level to about 45% and still able to listen to it comfortably. Apparently the ms01's sensitivity is not very high (96 ±3 dB @ 1KHz 1mW). I will be getting my GO450 soon and hopefully I can compare both of them in terms of power handling and synergy.

 

 

The Oppo PM-1 have a fairly high sensitivity of 102 dB/mW so the 1000 would most likely be WAY OVERKILL for me. I should be find with the 450 or 720. I wrote Larry Ho and he told me to get the 720 so I would have more flexibility in the future. Seems reasonable. I wonder how long it would take to get. Loving the PM-1 straight out of an Ipad right now. Can only imagine with the Geek Out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread