or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread - Page 15

post #211 of 2304

Well, at last check, my 450 may finally make its way into the mail sometime next week and I will be able to test it for myself.  You'd think by now there would be quite a few in the hands of owners.  You might try posting on the LHLabs forums as well to see if there is more activity there around this device.

post #212 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post

So the volume would not be reset to its maximum when using the Windows volume control? Also, will I be able to get confortable volume levels with something like the K550s or will it sound too loud whatever I do in Windows? If 10% in Windows would be the normal listening level for such cans then it would be great.

Volume should not get reset on both Mac and Windows.

 

So this is the design. Geek Out will follow the volume settings from computer. Also, Geek Out could change the volume by its own buttons.

 

Every time you replug the Geek Out, or you change the system volume settings in computer. Geek Out will follow computer's order... ;-)

 

If computer's OS could remember the volume setting (usually it is), the Geek Out will be set in the original volume level.

 

Larry

post #213 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ho View Post

Volume should not get reset on both Mac and Windows.

So this is the design. Geek Out will follow the volume settings from computer. Also, Geek Out could change the volume by its own buttons.

Every time you replug the Geek Out, or you change the system volume settings in computer. Geek Out will follow computer's order... ;-)

If computer's OS could remember the volume setting (usually it is), the Geek Out will be set in the original volume level.

Larry
That's great, thanks!
All I need to know before ordering is if more sensitive hedphones like the K550s or the Momentums are usable at all by controlling only the Windows volume or if the volume is too loud even at 10%.
post #214 of 2304

A few people reported their GO 1000 had smudged ink on the bottom side sticker. I removed my unit from the bedroom Hi-Fi system after a week of burn-in today, upon inspection the ink hasn't smudged at all.

 

GO 1000(EM) bottom with legend and serial #. The ink hasn't smudged on mine like some other users have reported.

post #215 of 2304
What does the symbol next to the 47 ohm output mean? Thanks.
post #216 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post

What does the symbol next to the 47 ohm output mean? Thanks.


It means Line Out, for connection to a preamp/line level input.

 

The 47 Ohm output also has the icon for "bigger" headphones, as opposed to the icon for smaller headphones next to the .47 Ohm output (bigger 'phones typically being of higher impedance).

post #217 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post


It means Line Out, for connection to a preamp/line level input.

The 47 Ohm output also has the icon for "bigger" headphones, as opposed to the icon for smaller headphones next to the .47 Ohm output (bigger 'phones typically being of higher impedance).
Thanks.
post #218 of 2304
For those on Mac and Audirvana+, under Preferences and Audio System and Active Audio Device, are the letters DSD64 and DAD128 greyed out?
post #219 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post

For those on Mac and Audirvana+, under Preferences and Audio System and Active Audio Device, are the letters DSD64 and DAD128 greyed out?
To elaborate, they are greyed out as Native DSD Capability is set to "Automatic Detection". Looking at the A+ user manual page 13, I changed it from Automatic Detection to "initial dCS method" as recommended so as to force native DSD Streaming but then it won't play. So I have set it back to "Automatic Detection" with the letters DSD64 and DSD128 greyed out again.
Is this correct and am I playing back DSD correctly?
Thanks.
post #220 of 2304

Tried playing a DSD file and see if its not greyed out? Maybe its default is 0/False because no DSD signal was detected.

post #221 of 2304
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-i-c-k-e-y View Post

Tried playing a DSD file and see if its not greyed out? Maybe its default is 0/False because no DSD signal was detected.
Hi, yes I played a DSD file (.dsf) and it is still greyed out.
post #222 of 2304
Sorry no expert in Mac OS..

But you have indicator lights in Geek Out. If the DSD led is on therefore it receives DSD signals.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro
post #223 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post


To elaborate, they are greyed out as Native DSD Capability is set to "Automatic Detection". Looking at the A+ user manual page 13, I changed it from Automatic Detection to "initial dCS method" as recommended so as to force native DSD Streaming but then it won't play. So I have set it back to "Automatic Detection" with the letters DSD64 and DSD128 greyed out again.
Is this correct and am I playing back DSD correctly?
Thanks.


Use DSD over PCM standard 1.0 ...(aka DoP)

 

LH Labs GO 1000 Audirvana+ Preferences

post #224 of 2304
Ok I'll try that but I thought that means it will convert to PCM i.e. not playing as DSD?
post #225 of 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post

Ok I'll try that but I thought that means it will convert to PCM i.e. not playing as DSD?


That's a rather in-depth topic of discussion, with no simple answer. I'm not an audio EE nor a computer scientist, so I'll give it a shot while trying not to get flamed.

 

The short answer is that DoP takes pieces or "frames" of the DSD bit stream and "packages" them as 352.8 kHz PCM. I don't believe it is technically correct to say this is outright conversion to PCM, more so just the data is arranged in this way so that the DAC can convert it to analog.

 

This is made possible by the fact that the DSD sample rate is an even multiple of 44.1, 88.2, 176.4, and 352.8 kHz, so it breaks up nicely into even chunks.

 

The much larger topic of whether anything but a tiny fraction of DAC chipsets, playback equipment, recordings, analog tape transfers etc...are really purely DSD with no time spent ever in the PCM realm is a wider discussion. Suffice it to say most designs use a hybrid approach.

 

There are two very good in-depth pieces written on this subject, one by Andreas Koch of Playback Designs, the other by Thorsten Loesch of AMR. They do a good job of explaining as best they can in close to layman's terms while also being quite technical for those that can understand it.


Edited by MikeyFresh - 4/12/14 at 8:01am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread