Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 1573

I too impatiently looking at the progress of Geek Pulse which is now slated for August/September release and Geek out is having issues with QCs, I hope they will not screw things even more by launching Geek Aria.

post #17 of 1573
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

I am patiently waiting for mine,  Mike.....Are you going to bring it to the SoCal meet today? 

hey longbowbbs.

 

I WISH!

 

My wife is in really bad shape and needs surgery,

so I won't be at the LA Meet and I'm really depressed over that

but Alexandra needs me around for this MESS.  Think positive for us!!

 

Have FUN - 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

So as long as we don't have the IEM in our ears when we start up the music, we should be good? That's very promising. I was worried the 1000 may be too much for my customs, but now it seems I may have been concerned for nothing.

Honestly I haven't tried it w/ IEMs yet!!!!

But I can only imagine the volume KILLING YOU if you're not careful!

 

One of the only gripes I have with it is:

 

When I change my MacBook's gain level the Geek Out's gain resets back to pegged/10

right away, meaning:

 

If I have the MacBook gain set to 75%, and I wanna experiment to see where the best sounding settings are,

(MacBook 75%, adjust Geek Out output from there, or MacBook 100%, adjust Geek Out output from there) it

sets the Geek Out's output back to 10 every time you make an adjustment to the MacBook's gain. So if you had IEMs

in, well, you just gotta be careful!!!!

 

not sure why its set up that way.

 

I'll give my IEMs a shot with it today!!

 

 

I love having the gain on the Geek Out - just hate that it resets the Geek Outs gain back to 10

whenever you make a change on the MacBook's gain - - when you use the other USB stick-type amp/DACs

you get in the habit of using the MacBooks volume.

 

Breakin' the habit now!!!!

 

and it still sounds TERRIFIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Addict View Post

I look forward to getting mine

you have good reason for the anticipation!!

post #18 of 1573
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel801 View Post
 

I too impatiently looking at the progress of Geek Pulse which is now slated for August/September release and Geek out is having issues with QCs, I hope they will not screw things even more by launching Geek Aria.

Geek Out's having QC issues?

 

That sucks. I haven't had any issues with mine - thankfully!!

 

and I fell asleep w/ my MacBook Pro on my lap last night...

Woke up with the laptop at my feet in front of the couch, my Audeze LCD-X's on the floor,

and the Geek Out, with the USB bent!!!!!  I was SO pissed.

 

But it still works, and no noise or any other issues!!

post #19 of 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

Honestly I haven't tried it w/ IEMs yet!!!!

But I can only imagine the volume KILLING YOU if you're not careful!

 

One of the only gripes I have with it is:

 

When I change my MacBook's gain level the Geek Out's gain resets back to pegged/10

right away, meaning:

 

If I have the MacBook gain set to 75%, and I wanna experiment to see where the best sounding settings are,

(MacBook 75%, adjust Geek Out output from there, or MacBook 100%, adjust Geek Out output from there) it

sets the Geek Out's output back to 10 every time you make an adjustment to the MacBook's gain. So if you had IEMs

in, well, you just gotta be careful!!!!

 

not sure why its set up that way.

 

I'll give my IEMs a shot with it today!!

 

I love having the gain on the Geek Out - just hate that it resets the Geek Outs gain back to 10

whenever you make a change on the MacBook's gain - - when you use the other USB stick-type amp/DACs

you get in the habit of using the MacBooks volume.

 

Breakin' the habit now!!!!

 

Hmm, yeah that does sound like I'll end up slamming my ears with the Geek Out. I'm used to reaching for the volume control on the Macbook to adjust, so I can see myself easily blasting my ear drums accidentally a few times. It sounds like the ideal situation would be to have the GO remember the current gain settings when the Macbook volume is changed. But now that I think about it, I seem to remember reading something on the LH Labs forums that it isn't possible with their implementation.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

Geek Out's having QC issues?

 

That sucks. I haven't had any issues with mine - thankfully!!

 

and I fell asleep w/ my MacBook Pro on my lap last night...

Woke up with the laptop at my feet in front of the couch, my Audeze LCD-X's on the floor,

and the Geek Out, with the USB bent!!!!!  I was SO pissed.

 

But it still works, and no noise or any other issues!!

 

They had an issue with the manufacturing partners. A big chunk of their most recent batch had a resistor fault and it caused one of the channels to have reduced volume when the awesomifier was enabled. They said it should only set them back a day to get that sorted.


Edited by AxelCloris - 3/22/14 at 10:46am
post #20 of 1573
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

Hmm, yeah that does sound like I'll end up slamming my ears with the Geek Out. I'm used to reaching for the volume control on the Macbook to adjust, so I can see myself easily blasting my ear drums accidentally a few times. It sounds like the ideal situation would be to have the GO remember the current gain settings when the Macbook volume is changed. But now that I think about it, I seem to remember reading something on the LH Labs forums that it isn't possible with their implementation.

 

 

They had an issue with the manufacturing partners. A big chunk of their most recent batch had a resistor fault and it caused one of the channels to have reduced volume when the awesomifier was enabled. They said it should only set them back a day to get that sorted.

Really - 

 

Thank God I don't have any channel issues!!!!

 

Because this thing is a BEAST when it comes to power.

I just gave it a shot again (yeah, pulled an all-nighter, except the passing out and waking up to my laptop and headphones on the floor incident)

w/ my LCD-3's and that makes for a glorious pairing!! I jumped right to the LCD-X last night for the majority of my listening - sometimes I forget

now how much I enjoy the LCD-3 - I get in the habit of grabbin' the latest LCD's. But I LOVE my LCD-3's, and it makes for a SICK combo w/ the 

Geek Out EM/1000. The lower midrange is so liquid and dimensional at the same time (liquid could mean a little thick I suppose, but I'm referring

to the ripple-effect here) while the highs are beautifully extended. Radiohead's King of Limbs had me completely transfixed - I lost any sense of time...

Next thing you know it's 10AM and I'm wondering where the night went!

 

I remember being impressed w/ the HRT microStreamer - how it could drive my LCD-3 well enough for me to really enjoy that surprise combo.

But it makes sense that things would progress - the Geek Out 1000 - which, after looking at the paperwork, I realized is called:

 

Geek Out EM

 

drives the LCD-3s with plenty of headroom! The amp/DAC is also resolving enough that I heard significant changes when I switched out my cables.

I ended up preferring the Double Helix Cable - I have to get the exact model of this cable from Peter at Double Helix.


Edited by mikemercer - 3/22/14 at 11:16am
post #21 of 1573

So how does it sound with the awesomifier turned ON?

 

Does it give you an "out of head/speakers in a room" feeling?

post #22 of 1573

How does it compare to Dragonfly, HRT Microstreamer and Meridian Explorer?   As far as dac and amp?

It is neutral warm or neutral bright?  

post #23 of 1573
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
 

So how does it sound with the awesomifier turned ON?

 

Does it give you an "out of head/speakers in a room" feeling?

Admittedly I gotta check out how to engage the awesomeifier/3D imaging!!

I'm gonna do that today!! I wanted to be sure I dug the final product as much as the proto!!!

I'll report back ASAP on that

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post
 

How does it compare to Dragonfly, HRT Microstreamer and Meridian Explorer?   As far as dac and amp?

It is neutral warm or neutral bright?  

I've only done an A/B w/ the HRT microStreamer and Dragonfly at this point (and I LOVE the microStreamer - was lucky enough

to get the review scoop on that magic lil' aluminum brick - also dig the Dragonfly, but preferred the microStreamer as I found it more 

dynamic - with a more soulful reproduction of the music) - AND:

 

Compared to the Dragonfly (1st generation) the Geek Out ED has far more dynamic range, weight, and overall gestalt. The Dragonfly has

always impressed me with its resolving capabilities - its finesse, but the Geek Out brings out even more of that magic quality of the music.

It's like upgrading your line-stage and stereo amplifier in a two-channel in-room rig. You get more slam, more detail, and greater dynamic range

and separation.

 

Compared to the microStreamer - the MS faired better in the resolution dept. NOT better than the Geek Out ED, but better than the Dragonfly IMO.

The microStreamer has a wonderfully engaging quality about it. That doesn't change, nor get lost when comparing it to the Geek Out, but the Geek Out

edges it out in that area. It's closer - but the Geek Out just has more oomph - more headroom and because its clean and detailed it drags me even deeper 

into the music. Spinning Radiohead's Kid A was a magnificent experience w/ the Geek Out & Audeze LCD-XC's. It reminded me of hearing the record for the

first time - and that's a glorious memory for me! The microStreamer captured the magic of the recording, but the Geek Out did so as well - and has a more all-

encompassing quality about it. It behaves like a little monster amplifier - powerful and controlled but with plenty of air and dimensionality.

 

It sounded as I suspected compared to these two: Like the natural progression of things. It's presentation is bigger, deeper, wider and its tonality has more 

character. 

 

I lent my Explorer to a buddy so I won't have that for a comparison for awhile

- but I know the Explorer well and I suspect my findings will be similar.

post #24 of 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

Admittedly I gotta check out how to engage the awesomeifier/3D imaging!!

I'm gonna do that today!! I wanted to be sure I dug the final product as much as the proto!!!

I'll report back ASAP on that

 

Hold down both volume buttons simultaneously. An LED should change color to let you know it's on.

post #25 of 1573
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

Hold down both volume buttons simultaneously. An LED should change color to let you know it's on.

THANX BROTHA!!

 

grabbin the Geek Out right now and gonna try it.

 

I gotta run some errands for the wifey - but psyched to check it out!

will report back ASAP

 

also found that my Grado 325i's are also a great pairing in the meantime...

post #26 of 1573
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
 

So how does it sound with the awesomifier turned ON?

 

Does it give you an "out of head/speakers in a room" feeling?

 

OK

 

So, like other "3D imaging" type circuits on amp/DACs I've heard: When I engage the Awesomifier I hear an immediate

drop in dB levels. It's not a drastic drop, but it's certainly noticeable. Perhaps a more accurate way to describe it would be that the sound pulls back a bit.

I say that because when I disengage the Awesomifier the music jumps at me - like you're instantly dropping the noise-floor or gaining a dB or two in a system

by clicking a dip switch that gives you a lil' boost. So the overall dynamic punch suffers a touch

 

- but the only similar circuits I've heard that don't take away from the products overall punch is the 3D Imaging switch on the iFi iCAN and the cross-feed on the McIntosh

MHA-100 - Both of these gave me deeper and wider soundstages without sacrificing the overall punch of the system.

 

Like I said: It's not a huge difference/drop in gain and dynamics - so I don't feel like I'm really losing much, but I can't help but notice it when engaging and disengaging the

feature.

 

I can definitely hear a widening of the soundstage as well as deeper dimensionality (meaning the sense of air and spaciousness between instruments/triggered sounds). 

The stage acquires this roundness to the sound. Almost like the Geek Out approximates the effects a concert hall would have on the acoustics. When I typed that I instantly

thought of those terrible "Concert Hall" EQ presets on stereo gear in the 80's. This is NOT what I'm trying to describe :L3000: !

The sound-stage expands 360 degrees outward. I enjoyed this setting immensely when rockin' ambient and electronic albums like Shlohmo's Camping EP and Lorn's Ask The Dust.

Sounds emanate from the same direction as their original origins - but they either start further back or more to the side, etc. The spacial properties of the stage changed, and whether or

not I enjoyed the effect depended greatly on the source material.

 

I prefer the sound of the Geek Out EM without the Awesomifier engaged when it came to acoustic music happening in real time and space.

But, when it came to experimental music, I enjoyed the effects of the Awesomifier. It brought another level of depth of field.

 

Still experimenting, but thus far I'd say Light Harmonic has a winner in the Geek Out EM.

I only hope the QC issues mentioned earlier in this thread have been sorted out. It would be a real shame for them to make such a splash with the campaigns and not make sure EVERY unit

leaving the door works like this one!!!! They've got a boatload of devotees out there. They can either become the companies best marketers, or worst enemies.

 

If they keep up the QC  - as I haven't had any issues - they should do really well with the Geek series!

 

still to be continued...


Edited by mikemercer - 3/22/14 at 1:25pm
post #27 of 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

 

OK

 

So, like other "3D imaging" type circuits on amp/DACs I've heard: When I engage the Awesomifier I hear an immediate

drop in dB levels. It's not a drastic drop, but it's certainly noticeable. Perhaps a more accurate way to describe it would be that the sound pulls back a bit.

I say that because when I disengage the Awesomifier the music jumps at me - like you're instantly dropping the noise-floor or gaining a dB or two in a system

by clicking a dip switch that gives you a lil' boost. So the overall dynamic punch suffers a touch

 

- but the only similar circuits I've heard that don't take away from the products overall punch is the 3D Imaging switch on the iFi iCAN and the cross-feed on the McIntosh

MHA-100 - Both of these gave me deeper and wider soundstages without sacrificing the overall punch of the system.

 

Like I said: It's not a huge difference/drop in gain and dynamics - so I don't feel like I'm really losing much, but I can't help but notice it when engaging and disengaging the

feature.

 

I can definitely hear a widening of the soundstage as well as deeper dimensionality (meaning the sense of air and spaciousness between instruments/triggered sounds). 

The stage acquires this roundness to the sound. Almost like the Geek Out approximates the effects a concert hall would have on the acoustics. When I typed that I instantly

thought of those terrible "Concert Hall" EQ presets on stereo gear in the 80's. This is NOT what I'm trying to describe :L3000: !

The sound-stage expands 360 degrees outward. I enjoyed this setting immensely when rockin' ambient and electronic albums like Shlohmo's Camping EP and Lorn's Ask The Dust.

Sounds emanate from the same direction as their original origins - but they either start further back or more to the side, etc. The spacial properties of the stage changed, and whether or

not I enjoyed the effect depended greatly on the source material.

 

I prefer the sound of the Geek Out EM without the Awesomifier engaged when it came to acoustic music happening in real time and space.

But, when it came to experimental music, I enjoyed the effects of the Awesomifier. It brought another level of depth of field.

 

Still experimenting, but thus far I'd say Light Harmonic has a winner in the Geek Out EM.

I only hope the QC issues mentioned earlier in this thread have been sorted out. It would be a real shame for them to make such a splash with the campaigns and not make sure EVERY unit

leaving the door works like this one!!!! They've got a boatload of devotees out there. They can either become the companies best marketers, or worst enemies.

 

If they keep up the QC  - as I haven't had any issues - they should do really well with the Geek series!

 

still to be continued...

 

More comparisons to the iCan would be appreciated, as that's something I've heard and not long ago. The part in bold is exactly how I felt about the crossfeed on the iCan, amazing with Random Access Memories but unnecessary for jazz and folk music. As I heard with the iCan, does enabling the awesomifier pull back a bit of the bass? Whenever I had the crossfeed enabled on the iCan I had the bass boost on a notch or two to compensate and bring back the full body while keeping the improved separation.

 

You mentioned that you bent the USB connector, from the image it looks like you may have resolved that?

post #28 of 1573
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

More comparisons to the iCan would be appreciated, as that's something I've heard and not long ago. The part in bold is exactly how I felt about the crossfeed on the iCan, amazing with Random Access Memories but unnecessary for jazz and folk music. As I heard with the iCan, does enabling the awesomifier pull back a bit of the bass? Whenever I had the crossfeed enabled on the iCan I had the bass boost on a notch or two to compensate and bring back the full body while keeping the improved separation.

 

You mentioned that you bent the USB connector, from the image it looks like you may have resolved that?

I did the same exact thing on the iCAN!!

Though I'm very impressed with their implementation of the 3D Imaging circuit.

 

Yes the bass loses some impact (and seemingly a touch of gain) when the Awesomifier is engaged.

 

YES - thank God I managed to bend the USB end back and the unit still works FINE!

I lucked out there I think. I don't even remember passing out (been a LONG few weeks w/ my wifey sick and needing surgery)

but when I woke up with my MacBook Pro on the floor and my LCD-X's there as well I freaked out.

 

I found the Geek Out EM had taken the brunt of the fall. I must've fallen asleep and moved, knockin the laptop over and the

headphones followed!! I think that speaks to its build quality - at least it passed this fall test!

 

still rockin though!

post #29 of 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

 
I am patiently waiting for mine,  Mike.....Are you going to bring it to the SoCal meet today? 
hey longbowbbs.

I WISH!

My wife is in really bad shape and needs surgery,
so I won't be at the LA Meet and I'm really depressed over that
but Alexandra needs me around for this MESS.  Think positive for us!!

Have FUN - 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

 

So as long as we don't have the IEM in our ears when we start up the music, we should be good? That's very promising. I was worried the 1000 may be too much for my customs, but now it seems I may have been concerned for nothing.
Honestly I haven't tried it w/ IEMs yet!!!!
But I can only imagine the volume KILLING YOU if you're not careful!

One of the only gripes I have with it is:

When I change my MacBook's gain level the Geek Out's gain resets back to pegged/10
right away, meaning:

If I have the MacBook gain set to 75%, and I wanna experiment to see where the best sounding settings are,
(MacBook 75%, adjust Geek Out output from there, or MacBook 100%, adjust Geek Out output from there) it
sets the Geek Out's output back to 10 every time you make an adjustment to the MacBook's gain. So if you had IEMs
in, well, you just gotta be careful!!!!

not sure why its set up that way.

I'll give my IEMs a shot with it today!!




I love having the gain on the Geek Out - just hate that it resets the Geek Outs gain back to 10
whenever you make a change on the MacBook's gain - - when you use the other USB stick-type amp/DACs
you get in the habit of using the MacBooks volume.
You mean volume level, right? Gain is a set property of the op-amp circuitry, volume is a function of the voltage and current differences. I'm pretty certain headphone amps don't have dozens and dozens of individual amp circuits to control the volume through different gain levels. XD

How warm does the Geek Out get? Uncomfortable to touch? As hot as the iPhone 4S on maximum brightness and playing a video?
Edited by miceblue - 3/22/14 at 4:23pm
post #30 of 1573

Mike,

 

Which software player are you using? I'm specifically curious if Direct/Integer mode is supported in Audirvana. Also have you tried any native DSD content?

 

Thanks for all the informative posts!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread