or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Alpha Dog/Schiit Lyr love
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alpha Dog/Schiit Lyr love

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I just re-re-listened to the 25th anniversary edition of Wings' Band on the Run CD using my Alpha Dogs powered by the Schiit Lyr loaded with Gold Lions (and an ODAC via USB to my PC running Foobar.)  I am not exaggerating when I say this experience was like hearing an old favorite for the first time.  I detected details and intricacies in the mix that I don't recall ever hearing before.  The recording felt immediate, deep and fresh, not like some pop album from 1973.  I had just listened to this CD on my 2-channel system and it did not sound as good as it does in the headphones.  Wow.   I am super impressed.

 

Have I punched the fanboi card hard enough yet?

post #2 of 9

^^ Very cool. :cool: I'm a big fan of the AD and the MD and now the MDP. Wonderful closed hp's that, when you put a good amp with them (lyr), they will make your jaw drop. 

 

Add a better dac if you want to take them to the next level. :wink_face:

post #3 of 9

Hi. I think putting more power into the Alpha Dog and it will reward back, I just have an ODAC and C421 amp and find out lacking all the spectrum so I am saving money to buy better dac/amp.

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ableza View Post
 

I just re-re-listened to the 25th anniversary edition of Wings' Band on the Run CD using my Alpha Dogs powered by the Schiit Lyr loaded with Gold Lions (and an ODAC via USB to my PC running Foobar.)  I am not exaggerating when I say this experience was like hearing an old favorite for the first time.  I detected details and intricacies in the mix that I don't recall ever hearing before.  The recording felt immediate, deep and fresh, not like some pop album from 1973.  I had just listened to this CD on my 2-channel system and it did not sound as good as it does in the headphones.  Wow.   I am super impressed.

 

Have I punched the fanboi card hard enough yet?

Read this last night on "our" forum and it inspired me to get in line for the Mad Dog to Alpha Dog upgrade. I signed up last night. I really like one cord to one cup, but its really about the sound. 

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

^^ Very cool. :cool: I'm a big fan of the AD and the MD and now the MDP. Wonderful closed hp's that, when you put a good amp with them (lyr), they will make your jaw drop. 

 

Add a better dac if you want to take them to the next level. :wink_face:

I'm sure you're right, but while I haven't compared the ODAC to anything truly high end yet, it did beat out an Emotiva XDA-1, an HRT Music Streamer and a Dragonfly to win its current place in my system.  :)

post #6 of 9
I too have Alpha Dog/ Schiit Lyr love... a fabulous synergy !

I have been tube rolling a lot lately (currently have some CBS Siemens ECC88's installed). Regardless of tube pairs chosen, the inner detail is incredible. I am always hearing new things in familiar recordings with this powerful combo.

This is a match made in heaven. smily_headphones1.gif
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

^^ Very cool. :cool: I'm a big fan of the AD and the MD and now the MDP. Wonderful closed hp's that, when you put a good amp with them (lyr), they will make your jaw drop. 

 

Add a better dac if you want to take them to the next level. :wink_face:

 

Just wanted to follow up.  As much as I love the detail of the ODAC, it has been replaced by a Wavelength Audio Proton and you are correct: the Proton adds a new level of enjoyment to the sound.  Thank you for encouraging me to explore further.  :)

 

David

post #8 of 9

Maybe its my ear or lack of experience but I feel the Dragonfly can do the same as the schiit lyr (yes I have both)

 

the dragonfly can push my Mad Dog to very loud level, what am I missing here?

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law87 View Post
 

Maybe its my ear or lack of experience but I feel the Dragonfly can do the same as the schiit lyr (yes I have both)

 

the dragonfly can push my Mad Dog to very loud level, what am I missing here?

If you like the Dragonfly that's fine.  To my ears it was less than acceptable as a DAC and terrible as a headphone amplifier.  It's not about high levels, it's about a clean signal without adding harshness, which I thought the Dragonfly did.  The difference between it's headphone out and using a Wavelength Proton DAC and the Lyr with my Alpha Dogs and to my ears, was night and day in terms of clarity and power.  And, I might add, with more efficient cans like some Senns, the difference between the Proton and the Dragonfly was also astounding.  The DF just can't stand up to serious comparison with higher end gear.


Edited by Ableza - 6/7/14 at 12:02pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Alpha Dog/Schiit Lyr love