Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed! Phase 2: SmartPower. Please feed the Meaty Monster. (page 124)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iDSD micro Crowd-Designed! Phase 2: SmartPower. Please feed the Meaty Monster. (page 124) - Page 118

Poll Results: What % of your listening is Desktop vs Portable? (click on ONE answer please)

Poll expired: Apr 22, 2014  
  • 22% (30)
    Desktop (100%)
  • 36% (49)
    Desktop (75%) & Portable (25%)
  • 18% (25)
    Desktop (50%) & Portable (50%)
  • 17% (24)
    Desktop (25%) & Portable (75%)
  • 5% (7)
    Portable (100%)
135 Total Votes  
post #1756 of 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 


nice! you'll love it...post your impressions!

I literally melted! The volume is slightly harder to control than I actually thought it would be despite higher output power. I actually set mine on Eco mode for Annie otherwise, even at normal, before 9'o clock [I find <9 o'clock have channel imbalance issue like most amp], I find it too loud for my listening. IMO 

 

Otherwise, the soundstage's height, width and depth is impressive on these. While the 3D holographic is not always beneficial, I like what it does to my Annie and the XBass does not only boost bass for the sake of boosting more bass for "more bass". It actually sounds tight and does not cost distortions or whatsoever. Don't find the polarity anyhow useful thought [TBH] 

 

Excellent DAC/amp combo specially when you can use it with an iPad via CCK xD

post #1757 of 1891

They also sell it on Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Audio-technica-Goldlink-Fine-At501cs-Standard/dp/B000UDADAE

 

I just ordered one from Japanese Amazon seller...

 

Update...

This adapter is so transparent sounding!  Love it...

"Audio-technica Goldlink Fine - At501cs Adapter"


Edited by RadioWonder737 - 8/18/14 at 11:58am
post #1758 of 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioWonder737 View Post

Please,windwolf447,give us a link to the 6.5 mm (1/4") plug Headphone Adapter you recommend in your YouTube video...
Thanks... 

That part of the video got me curious as well.

windwolf447,

I don't think you should be experiencing noise while on USB using the BitPerfect filter. A noisy computer perhaps? Why not turning the iDSD on before plugging it in your computer so you'd be using the iDSD's own battery for a lower noise floor so you'd be able to use the supposedly better sounding BitPerfect with USB and not only through coaxial input. If the noise persists even while on its own battery, you should contact iFi.

Also, there is an iDSD impression and review thread in case you want to add more to what you've already covered on your video. Just in case you didn't know!!
Edited by maricius - 8/5/14 at 5:54am
post #1759 of 1891

Maybe this could help his Noise Problem... Just a thought... I did all but the WASAPI instructions... No noise here...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/105#post_10762646

 

He may have missed the link to Reviews And Comments...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments


Edited by RadioWonder737 - 8/5/14 at 6:28am
post #1760 of 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post
 

I literally melted! The volume is slightly harder to control than I actually thought it would be despite higher output power. I actually set mine on Eco mode for Annie otherwise, even at normal, before 9'o clock [I find <9 o'clock have channel imbalance issue like most amp], I find it too loud for my listening. IMO 

 

Otherwise, the soundstage's height, width and depth is impressive on these. While the 3D holographic is not always beneficial, I like what it does to my Annie and the XBass does not only boost bass for the sake of boosting more bass for "more bass". It actually sounds tight and does not cost distortions or whatsoever. Don't find the polarity anyhow useful thought [TBH] 

 

Excellent DAC/amp combo specially when you can use it with an iPad via CCK xD

Did you change the setting for IEMatch (underside of the Micro) to "High Sensitivity" or "Ultra Sensitivity"?  The Micro iDSD ships with the IEMatch set to "Off".

post #1761 of 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1216 View Post

Did you change the setting for IEMatch (underside of the Micro) to "High Sensitivity" or "Ultra Sensitivity"?  The Micro iDSD ships with the IEMatch set to "Off".

The iEMatch is supposedly used once already on Eco but still having sensitivity problems. He didn't need to as it was in Normal, not Eco, where 9 o clock would be too much.


Then again, maybe you could use the iEMatch while on Turbo mode… see what happens smily_headphones1.gif
post #1762 of 1891

You are right, turn on the idsd micro before connect to my computer via USB can solve the bit-perfect filter noise problem.

 

If I turn on the idsd micro after connected to USB, I can hear some noise in all kind of audio playback situation. Whatever it's the windows system sound or the sound of a youtube video.

 

Maybe there are some problem of my ASIO driver? Or simply because my computer is noisy(having dirty USB output signal?) 

 

I will spend more time on this to find out the reason.

post #1763 of 1891

thx for these links !

post #1764 of 1891

Now waiting for a comparison between Idsd micro and hifi-m8.  :biggrin:

post #1765 of 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedorag View Post
 

Now waiting for a comparison between Idsd micro and hifi-m8.  :biggrin:

 

Well, I sold my M8 too quickly to do a massive comparison to micro iDSD.  sorry.  but in quick listens it was as good, or better in terms of clarity, detail, balance.

I realize you are likely asking about sonic differences, but the features of micro iDSD made my M8 an easy sale:

 

more mW power for HE-560

much better (no hiss!) IEMatch for IEMs!!

no AC wall wart to charge unit battery

better volume knob

DSD playback

3D feature nice at times

Xbass apparently as good (no basshead hammering) as M8 bass switch.

single USB port works with High Rez audio and a single CCK cable!

filters seem well done and remove some digital sheen (in high guitar treble/decay)
no iDevice (when screen is on) interference when connected to usb port
no space eating 4pin jack for a "non balanced amp"
dual mono DAC chips
pre-amp capable
zero jitter GMT femto clock technology

when off, micro iDSD can charge up my iPhone

 

M8 held my top spot for an all-in-one transportable unit for 10 months, but audio technology marches on.

cheers to iFi engineers!


Edited by jexby - 8/5/14 at 9:55am
post #1766 of 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post
 

 

Well, I sold my M8 too quickly to do a massive comparison to micro iDSD.  sorry.  but in quick listens it was as good, or better in terms of clarity, detail, balance.

I realize you are likely asking about sonic differences, but the features of micro iDSD made my M8 an easy sale:

 

more mW power for HE-560

much better (no hiss!) IEMatch for IEMs!!

no AC wall wart to charge unit battery

better volume knob

DSD playback

3D feature nice at times

Xbass apparently as good (no basshead hammering) as M8 bass switch.

single USB port works with High Rez audio and a single CCK cable!

filters seem well done and remove some digital sheen (in high guitar treble/decay)
no iDevice (when screen is on) interference when connected to usb port
no space eating 4pin jack for a "non balanced amp"
dual mono DAC chips
pre-amp capable
zero jitter GMT femto clock technology

when off, micro iDSD can charge up my iPhone

 

M8 held my top spot for an all-in-one transportable unit for 10 months, but audio technology marches on.

cheers to iFi engineers!

 

Thanks! Saw the specs and OMG the amp puts out 4W @ 16ohms! But no balanced connections right?

post #1767 of 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedorag View Post
 

 

Thanks! Saw the specs and OMG the amp puts out 4W @ 16ohms! But no balanced connections right?

 

correct.  only a 1/4" jack.

 

then again the 4pin XLR on the M8 didn't mean the M8 was a balanced amp, and was for cable convenience?

I'm unsure of the sonic benefits of the 4pin XLR on the M8, didn't use it much myself.

post #1768 of 1891

I can answer this,

Yes, no balanced connection.

post #1769 of 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1216 View Post

Did you change the setting for IEMatch (underside of the Micro) to "High Sensitivity" or "Ultra Sensitivity"?  The Micro iDSD ships with the IEMatch set to "Off".

After posting my impression, I tried turning down low to Eco and turn on the IEMatch to high sensitivity for some of my headphones, it works great now!

This thing sound great when paired with XBA-4 IMO @ Eco, IEMarch IEMatch to ultra sensitivity! Bass are well presented and the hollow, mellow sound seems to faded away by quite a little biggrin.gif

Hope iFi didn't saw that mistake xD
Edited by BillsonChang007 - 8/5/14 at 11:31pm
post #1770 of 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


After posting my impression, I tried turning down low to Eco and turn on the IEMatch to high sensitivity for some of my headphones, it works great now!

This thing sound great when paired with XBA-4 IMO @ Eco, IEMarch to ultra sensitivity! Bass are well presented and the hollow, mellow sound seems to faded away by quite a little biggrin.gif


i have the same impressions as you...even in the eco mode, it's too powerful for my th900, which are pretty sensitive. i haven't bothered with playing around with the IEMatch yet, but i probably will later. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed! Phase 2: SmartPower. Please feed the Meaty Monster. (page 124)