Originally Posted by bjas406
Thank you, iFi, for the Micro iDSD, a great product. I'm looking forward to picking one up soon. I intend to use the Micro iDSD with a desktop/laptop running JRiver connected via USB. I would like to run the Micro iDSD on battery power at all times. I have the following questions:
1) When being used in "direct" mode (not preamp mode), does the Micro iDSD volume/power switch need to be turned on?
2) If the desktop/laptop is turned off and the Micro iDSD is connected to the iUSB (which is plugged into a wall socket at all times) via the Gemini Cable will the Micro iDSD charge?
3) Will the iDSD charge regardless if the volume/power switch is turned on or off?
In my setup, I would like to always leave the Micro iDSD and the iUSB powered on with the desktop/laptop powered on and off as needed for use. I am hoping that this setup will have the effect of the Micro iDSD always being run off battery power and always being charged (at least being charged when not running).
Thanks in advance for any replies.
1) Yes, you need to switch it on! Just like the nano iDSD, you hear a "click" as the analogue volume pot is the on/off and vol control.
2) Yes, but regardless, same as with the nano iDSD, once full, it auto-reverts to top-up charge to max the battery life. You do not need to do anything.
3) It will charge with power set to off and it will charge when turned on in USB Mode AND if there is more current available from the USB port than is needed to run the iDSD micro (more on this later).
It will also charge when on Battery power mode and when the iDSD has not been playing for 3 minutes AND a "strong" USB port (e.g. a PC/Mac/Laptop and not a smart phone) is connected, or if a charger is connected (SPDIF mode).
For your setup, we advise:
The iDSD micro should be connected in Battery Mode. Battery mode will "stick" until the unit is turned off. The iUSB Power will still be detected as a "strong" power port.
Edited by iFi audio - 7/12/14 at 1:56am