or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153). - Page 53

Poll Results: What % of your listening is Desktop vs Portable? (click on ONE answer please)

Poll expired: Apr 22, 2014  
  • 22% (30)
    Desktop (100%)
  • 36% (49)
    Desktop (75%) & Portable (25%)
  • 18% (25)
    Desktop (50%) & Portable (50%)
  • 17% (24)
    Desktop (25%) & Portable (75%)
  • 5% (7)
    Portable (100%)
135 Total Votes  
post #781 of 2328

Ok, iFi, are we still set for a July release date? When do you expect the first 10 to go out? :atsmile:

post #782 of 2328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post
 

 

As someone who owns the iDSD Nano, which also uses a battery in its power supply, I'm wondering whether you could kindly compare the power supplies of the Nano and the Micro?

 

Hi,

 

This is very much simplified of course:

 

The nano iDSD uses battery directly and has limited power of 130mW@16Ohm.

 

The micro iDSD uses heavily LC-filtered extra-high frequency converters to remove the battery voltage limitations, while attaining as good, if not even better low-noise levels with battery. With battery, max headphone power output of 4000mW@16Ohm.

 

We hope this clarifies.

post #783 of 2328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanChu View Post
 

Ok, iFi, are we still set for a July release date? When do you expect the first 10 to go out? :atsmile:

 

Hi,

 

Yes, the first batch is still gunning for early July release date - that is, you can go to the store, buy it and take it home.

 

So we are still pretty much on track. The caveat is that there may be a slight delay of one or two weeks but nothing major -  we have a few nice surprises in store and we need these to make it in time for the launch of the micro iDSD.

 

Besides a break to watch England vs Italy tonight - we'll be back in tomorrow to try our best to stick to this timetable.

 

Without giving too much away, the first batch of several hundred units will be very special to coincide with OTW #1. :eek:

post #784 of 2328
I can't find a USA retailer taking pre order for micro iDSD... Will any of the first 100 make it to Amerika?
post #785 of 2328

Thanks iFi for the quick answers. 

 

Though the features, especially the amp features, will no doubt please many here, I'm wondering how the Micro will stack up against the Nano purely as a DAC. I know there will be two DAC chips instead of one, but is this being done only to increase signal to noise ratio, or will other aspects of the sound be affected? As a long-time vinyl listener, I'm especially interested in things like meatiness, solidity, tonal color, texture, presence and tone: all the sonic aspects digital has traditionally sucked at. 

post #786 of 2328

I have to admit I did not read trough the whole thread - being originally interested in nano. However, this looks more and more tempting.

 

Can micro drive one of the most difficult loads out there - AKG K 1000 ?

 

Can it be used strictly analog in - analog out? For us who are basically still on the needle :evil: ?


Edited by analogsurviver - 6/14/14 at 2:21pm
post #787 of 2328
Taking about the first hundred, do we, who actively participate to this crowd design, have any privilege?
Can we pre-order it from you?
Will we get any special version of your newborn?
Enjoy tonight's match, I hope we will win.
Ciao from Italy!
post #788 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

I have to admit I did not read trough the whole thread - being originally interested in nano. However, this looks more and more tempting.

Can micro drive one of the most difficult loads out there - AKG K 1000 ?

Can it be used strictly analog in - analog out? For us who are basically still on the needle evil_smiley.gif  ?

Well, being a dac, I guess it's mainly digital oriented. For you analog guys I'd suggest iCAN + eventually the iTube
post #789 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by guglia72 View Post


Well, being a dac, I guess it's mainly digital oriented. For you analog guys I'd suggest iCAN + eventually the iTube

I am sort of amfibian - besides analog, HEAVILY into DSD.  Thought I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. 

 

K 1000 is 73dB/mW and 120 ohm - requiring one hell of an amp to drive it properly, normally voltage swing is WAY too low with headphone amps for more normal HPs.  Do not think other ifi models might possibly have enough juice to handle it - but have not checked them out properly, as I need decent DSD DAC first, (portable BATTERY POWERED) amp capable of driving K 1000 second.

 

Bypassing DAC for straight analog in would be nice too.

post #790 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

I have to admit I did not read trough the whole thread - being originally interested in nano. However, this looks more and more tempting.

 

Can micro drive one of the most difficult loads out there - AKG K 1000 ?

 

Can it be used strictly analog in - analog out? For us who are basically still on the needle :evil: ?

 

If it's any help, they claim that the turbo mode can output 4W to 16 ohms. I believe it's really only digital input for the iDSDs

 

*edit* oops, didn't notice that your questions have already been somewhat answered


Edited by maricius - 6/14/14 at 11:36pm
post #791 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

I am sort of amfibian - besides analog, HEAVILY into DSD.  Thought I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. 

 

K 1000 is 73dB/mW and 120 ohm - requiring one hell of an amp to drive it properly, normally voltage swing is WAY too low with headphone amps for more normal HPs.  Do not think other ifi models might possibly have enough juice to handle it - but have not checked them out properly, as I need decent DSD DAC first, (portable BATTERY POWERED) amp capable of driving K 1000 second.

 

Bypassing DAC for straight analog in would be nice too.

i used to own the k1000 and eventually sold it because it required a dedicated speaker amp to drive it well. there are a lot of headphone amps that technically can drive the k1000 to high levels, but very few that drive it well. i had the gs-x mk.1 and found that it did not drive the k1000 well...all this just to say that even the gs-x was not enough for the k1000...so a portable amp is probably going to struggle with it. 

 

i'm of the belief that if you're going to own a k1000, you owe it to yourself to drive it with a top-notch amp to get the most out of it. i fell in love with the k1000 at the first national head-fi meet when i heard it out of a moth 300B amp...aah, you never forget your first love.

post #792 of 2328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post
 

Thanks iFi for the quick answers. 

 

Though the features, especially the amp features, will no doubt please many here, I'm wondering how the Micro will stack up against the Nano purely as a DAC. I know there will be two DAC chips instead of one, but is this being done only to increase signal to noise ratio, or will other aspects of the sound be affected? As a long-time vinyl listener, I'm especially interested in things like meatiness, solidity, tonal color, texture, presence and tone: all the sonic aspects digital has traditionally sucked at. 

 

Hi,

 

We understand your points fully but in due course, please try the micro iDSD for yourself. As you have seen already, where we can, we'll try to shed a little sonic flavour of how and why.

 

To give you some idea of our benchmark, in the AMR showroom, we have Garrard 301 with PH-77 (phono) > AM-77s (amplifiers) > LS-77 (speakers). Then on the coffee table in the showroom, we have the iFi "big rig" with LCD-2, Fostex TL-50RP (special iFi version) and other IEMS. For customers who come by, if they like, they can sample both systems.

 

Not an ordinary demo, but this is how we benchmark the iFi gear to customers.

post #793 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

i used to own the k1000 and eventually sold it because it required a dedicated speaker amp to drive it well. there are a lot of headphone amps that technically can drive the k1000 to high levels, but very few that drive it well. i had the gs-x mk.1 and found that it did not drive the k1000 well...all this just to say that even the gs-x was not enough for the k1000...so a portable amp is probably going to struggle with it. 

 

i'm of the belief that if you're going to own a k1000, you owe it to yourself to drive it with a top-notch amp to get the most out of it. i fell in love with the k1000 at the first national head-fi meet when i heard it out of a moth 300B amp...aah, you never forget your first love.

I own K 1000, not going to sell it ever and I do drive it with the speaker amp.

 

Just wondered, besides needing a decent DSD DAC, something portable and battery operated that can drive K 1000 reasonably well and also accepting analog in would be nice for on location recordings in venues without electricity - like some small churches "in the middle of nowhere", FAR away from electrical power grid and otherwise always present "salute from the grave" by Nikola Tesla - AC hum.  Lighting, air conditioning, heating - getting a venue that is not inherently infested with AC hum problems these days is extremely difficult.

post #794 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post

I can't find a USA retailer taking pre order for micro iDSD... Will any of the first 100 make it to Amerika?
I found the Hong Kong distributor and pre-ordered mine. I just now need to save up and get some better headphones!
post #795 of 2328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

I have to admit I did not read trough the whole thread - being originally interested in nano. However, this looks more and more tempting.

 

1. Can micro drive one of the most difficult loads out there - AKG K 1000 ?

 

2. Can it be used strictly analog in - analog out? For us who are basically still on the needle :evil: ?

 

Hi,

 

To answer:

 

1. The K1000 has been out of production for nearly 10 Years. It is really no longer competitive with modern headphones.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80

 

For those less familiar, it is even hungrier than the HiFi Man HE-6.

 

The micro iDSD will provide 8V, which is enough for 100dB peaks on the K1000, this may be enough for some, but not for others.

 

Incidentally, as a point of reference, the SAC Headphone Amplifier which was designed specifically for the K1000, delivers 11.5V, so ~3dB more than the micro iDSD.

 

The micro iDSD with the K1000...will go loud but it wont go to head-banging levels.

 

It really is a matter of if the micro iDSD drives the K1000s loud enough for your taste - so please try first.

 

Lastly, the micro iDSD won't do anything about strange looks from wearing the K1000s on-the-go...:floatsmile:

 

2. Hang fire...we have another announcement today. :wink_face: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).