or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153). - Page 51

Poll Results: What % of your listening is Desktop vs Portable? (click on ONE answer please)

Poll expired: Apr 22, 2014  
  • 22% (30)
    Desktop (100%)
  • 36% (49)
    Desktop (75%) & Portable (25%)
  • 18% (25)
    Desktop (50%) & Portable (50%)
  • 17% (24)
    Desktop (25%) & Portable (75%)
  • 5% (7)
    Portable (100%)
135 Total Votes  
post #751 of 2364
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofrk View Post

The OTW #3 raised a few questions for me:

Most importantly, How will the headphone amp compare to the ican micro?

Is the headphone amp on the micro idsd discrete or does it employ oamps?

Is the amp class A or the more common class D?

Will the Ican micro be updated to keep up with the new idsd micro? (I was planning on using it with the ifi micro stack but on paper it seems to be duplicating most of the functions)

 

Hi,

 

In Turbo mode the iDSD HP Amp outdoes the iCan Micro on power. We are fast encroaching on OTW#2 - so we'll plead the fifth here, just for another few more days.

 

Where the iCan micro uses discreet Class A "Valve-state" circuitry, the iDSD micro uses a sweet sounding Op-Amp (carefully selected and chosen for the actual circuit in mind. It is a tad more expensive than generic "Audio Op-Amp's" such as the 5532 but worth it).

 

So the iCan micro may offer a bit more relaxed sound and immediacy, the iDSD micro HP Amp has more drive and oomph (in Turbo mode).

 

The iCan micro has more possible 3D Sound and XBass settings as well.

 

Latte or Mocha? Both aim please.

 

The amplification in the iDSD micro is pure Class A for the DAC analogue stage and the preamp stage. The final headphone driver section is current feedback class AB, with a lot of "Class A".

 

No Class D in sight, not our thing.

 

Bottomline: one thing AMR/iFi would never do is put all the effort into the DAC section and muck up it up with a poor amp section where people dont pay as much attention.

 

 

ps No plans at the moment for revising the iCAN as it is one of our top sellers.


Edited by iFi audio - 6/13/14 at 3:39am
post #752 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post

 

The amplification in the iDSD micro is pure Class A for the DAC analogue stage and the preamp stage. The final headphone driver section is current feedback class AB, with a lot of "Class A".

 

 

Can I ask about my iDSD Nano: what is the topology there? Op-amp? Class A? 

post #753 of 2364

very very cool, indeed. i'm not a big portable listener (mostly because i have a toddler to take care of when traveling) but i think this will travel with me simply because it doubles as an i-device battery pack.

 

one query: the battery is rated at 4800 mAh and you estimate that it can provide about 4 recharges to an iphone...i find that hard to believe. there are battery packs out there at 11,200 mAh that provide about 4.5 cycles of charging power for iphone 5s...how can a 4800 mAh battery do the same? or am i missing something?

post #754 of 2364

I'm a iCAN/iDAC combo lover and Red Book person. DSD is not a must necessary for now...

 

How do you compare iDSD micro to the combo, esp in PCM playback?

post #755 of 2364
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

very very cool, indeed. i'm not a big portable listener (mostly because i have a toddler to take care of when traveling) but i think this will travel with me simply because it doubles as an i-device battery pack.

 

one query: the battery is rated at 4800 mAh and you estimate that it can provide about 4 recharges to an iphone...i find that hard to believe. there are battery packs out there at 11,200 mAh that provide about 4.5 cycles of charging power for iphone 5s...how can a 4800 mAh battery do the same? or am i missing something?

 

Hi,

 

We just re-checked with our colleague who has the Anker 15,000mAH. He thought he had the 10,000mAH version.

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10000mAh-Portable-External-Smartphones-USB-charged/dp/B0063AAIRG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402648032&sr=8-3&keywords=anker

 

So you are correct, it is more ~2.5x for the 4800mAH.

 

We have updated the info - thanks.

post #756 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post
 

 

Hi,

 

We just re-checked with our colleague who has the Anker 15,000mAH. He thought he had the 10,000mAH version.

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10000mAh-Portable-External-Smartphones-USB-charged/dp/B0063AAIRG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402648032&sr=8-3&keywords=anker

 

So you are correct, it is more ~2.5x for the 4800mAH.

 

We have updated the info - thanks.

thanks for checking! 2.5x is still good enough for me, especially since there's this amazing DAC/amp as a "side perk" for this iphone battery recharger :wink_face:

post #757 of 2364
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post
 

 

Can I ask about my iDSD Nano: what is the topology there? Op-amp? Class A? 

 

Hi,

 

The iDSD uses a 64-position stepped attenuator Chip, controlled via the MCU which senses the Volume control position via an ADC. This is actually integrated with the Headphone/Line-Out Amplifier, allowing us to make the iDSD nano as small as we did.

 

The output amplifier runs in Class AB but it is no ordinary Op-Amp (ie. not the one used in a fair few current DACs). The analog stage of the iDSD is balanced DAC output, a passive Lowpass filter, the balanced stepped attenuator and the output amplifier which can drive either line or headphones directly.

 

Thanks.

post #758 of 2364
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-C View Post
 

I'm a iCAN/iDAC combo lover and Red Book person. DSD is not a must necessary for now...

 

How do you compare iDSD micro to the combo, esp in PCM playback?

 

Hi,

 

The iDAC handles only PCM. So DSD must be converted in JRMC or similar. It is Euro299/$299.

 

The iDSD can handle both natively. It is Euro499/$499.

 

The price difference is there but the on-the-go factor is quite useful.

 

Sonically, overall, we would say the micro iDSD shades the iDAC.

 

The iCAN (desktop-based) has more 3D and XBass settings and is smoother. The iDSD headamp section (portable-based) is similar but has more oomph and more adjustments.

 

- as always, please audition for yourself as audio is subjective and you will have your preferred headphones etc.

 

 

It is like trying to decide between BMW 535 and the M5. With the nano iDSD at Euro199/$199 being the M1.

 

Rest assured your iDAC is a BMW 535. We are one of a few manufacturers who would put their US$299 DAC in a US$20k system at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest for reviewers and customers to do hyper-critical listening.

 

Bty, in this setup, the iPhono (Euro399/$399) was running with Dr Feickert Firebird TT (US$13k) and Lyra cartridge (US$3k).

 

 

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/11/13/rmaf12-avatar-acoustics-presents-goodies-from-rosso-fiorentino-and-amrs-new-ifi/

 

Ultimately, best you book a "test drive" and decide for yourself - to determine the different features and sonics you like the most.

post #759 of 2364

I know it's rather unconventional to answer or even ask this but iFi, in your opinion, of what percentile of the iDSD Micro's performance equal to that of the iDSD Nano as a pure DAC?

post #760 of 2364
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricius View Post
 

I know it's rather unconventional to answer or even ask this but iFi, in your opinion, of what percentile of the iDSD Micro's performance equal to that of the iDSD Nano as a pure DAC?

 

Hi,

 

BMW M1 or M5?

 

One is notably more expensive than the other (as it is in a whole different category). Test drive both and decide for yourself.

 

They both have the same DNA (read; sonic traits) as they are by AMR/iFi and have the same BB chipset (Single-Core vs Dual-Core).

 

As we said above, we have demo'd the iDAC (and iPHONO) in a US$20k show system. You would be hard pressed to find another DAC exhibited in a show system with two extra "00s" on the price tag. This should give you some idea of the % difference of all our products, not just the DACs but also the phono stage and the rest of the range.

 

We would happily do the same with the nano iDSD or micro iDSD.

 

Thanks.

post #761 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricius View Post
 

I know it's rather unconventional to answer or even ask this but iFi, in your opinion, of what percentile of the iDSD Micro's performance equal to that of the iDSD Nano as a pure DAC?

 

I see lot of us are wondering how much better is the micro vs nano, only as dac and/or preamplifier...

 

we consider all the other extra features as a bonus/plus added, but mainly we want to see how the micro behaves as a standalone dac, that will drive either high-quality headphones, or high-quality active speakers as part of a high-quality audio system...we care less about if its portable cause it will be a "desktop" solution...an alternative to other "desktop" solutions from other companies...

 

at least, thats the way I see it...I want the best dac my limited budget allows me to buy, to drive my active speakers...don't have or dont need, a headphone dac to take with me as I traver...

 

to sum up, I believe some of us see, or better, want to see the idac and nano and micro, in that way...if its posible to "catch" the sound quality of a desktop dac, or at least "catch" it in a large percentage...

 

can the new micro, or even the nano, only as dacs, be the answer to our search for "good sound" without spending a fortune, or we compare "apples with oranges" and inevitably we must go on and buy, lets say, the new mini dac that its due to come?

 

I would probably be very very happy if the nano/micro, again only as dacs, sounded as good as your "big" AMR hundred of dollars dacs...can these small dacs play 90% as good as, their big expensive brother?...cause if they can my search is stopped here...

 

its a fact that after a certain point, in order to achieve small benefits in sound, one must pay huge amount of money...so I would be very happy if a 500$ dac gave me 90% of the "outcome", of a 15$ dac...

 

those who want the other 10% and have the money, please feel free to continue:wink_face: 


Edited by Gkat - 6/13/14 at 7:21am
post #762 of 2364

The turbo mode of the micro iDSD HP is more analogous to an Audio RS6.  Thus, the nano iDSD would be the Audi RS4.  The sweet iCan Micro is a supercharged S6.  

 

Are we really BMW people on this forum? :D:popcorn:

post #763 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkat View Post
 

 

I see lot of us are wondering how much better is the micro vs nano, only as dac and/or preamplifier...

 

we consider all the other extra features as a bonus/plus added, but mainly we want to see how the micro behaves as a standalone dac, that will drive either high-quality headphones, or high-quality active speakers as part of a high-quality audio system...we care less about if its portable cause it will be a "desktop" solution...an alternative to other "desktop" solutions from other companies...

 

at least, thats the way I see it...I want the best dac my limited budget allows me to buy, to drive my active speakers...don't have or dont need, a headphone dac to take with me as I traver...

 

to sum up, I believe some of us see, or better, want to see the idac and nano and micro, in that way...if its posible to "catch" the sound quality of a desktop dac, or at least "catch" it in a large percentage...

 

can the new micro, or even the nano, only as dacs, be the answer to our search for "good sound" without spending a fortune, or we compare "apples with oranges" and inevitably we must go on and buy, lets say, the new mini dac that its due to come?

 

I would propably be very very happy if the nano/micro, again only as dacs, sounded as good as your "big" AMR hundred of dollars dacs...can these small dacs play 90% as good as, their big expensive brother?...cause if they can my search is stopped here...

 

its a fact that after a certain point, in order to achieve small benefits in sound, one must pay huge amount of money...so I would be very happy if a 500$ dac gave me 90% of a 15$ dac...

 

those who want the other 10% and have the money, please feel free to continue:wink_face: 

 

Amen.

post #764 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post
 

 

Hi,

 

BMW M1 or M5?

 

One is notably more expensive than the other (as it is in a whole different category). Test drive both and decide for yourself.

 

They both have the same DNA (read; sonic traits) as they are by AMR/iFi and have the same BB chipset (Single-Core vs Dual-Core).

 

As we said above, we have demo'd the iDAC (and iPHONO) in a US$20k show system. You would be hard pressed to find another DAC exhibited in a show system with two extra "00s" on the price tag. This should give you some idea of the % difference of all our products, not just the DACs but also the phono stage and the rest of the range.

 

We would happily do the same with the nano iDSD or micro iDSD.

 

Thanks.

 

probably your post, answers my question, in my previous post...

post #765 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricius View Post
 

 

Amen.

 

:bigsmile_face: 

 

another fact I see...

 

no matter where in the whole planet, all soundlovers, share the same questions and/or "madness" huh?

 

piece!!!:beerchug:


Edited by Gkat - 6/13/14 at 7:31am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).