Looking forward to some new iPurifier reviews!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productiFi Audio micro iDSDtagged by jazzfan, 12/2/16
Related Forum Threads
- Amp for Alpha Prime Last post on 10/26/16 at 7:07pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
- DAC/amps with independent headphone and analog output levels? Last post on 4/18/16 at 1:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- iFi iDSD Micro VS Chord HUGO Last post on 2/12/16 at 12:28pm in Dedicated Source Components
- iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments. Last post on Yesterday at 1:35 am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 11/28/16
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153). - Page 28
Poll Results: What % of your listening is Desktop vs Portable? (click on ONE answer please)
22% (30)Desktop (100%)
36% (49)Desktop (75%) & Portable (25%)
18% (25)Desktop (50%) & Portable (50%)
17% (24)Desktop (25%) & Portable (75%)
5% (7)Portable (100%)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Designer's Diary (no. 2)
Okay, fun week.
After flying back from Shanghai I found the first cut circuit boards for the iDSD micro have come back, so I have to test them. Keeping Gaggia in business with an Espresso or ten stronmg enough to stand a spoon in and just jump right in.
All went well until we came to the amazing new power supply for the DAC and analogue.
Clearly a 4.2V battery is not going to cut it where you need +/-8V, so we designed something really cutting-edge into the iDSD micro. It even works.
The only problem is that efficiency is way too low, everything gets too hot and the special step-up converter IC gets way hot and shuts down as soon as a bit of current is drawn. Trying different parts etc. got nowhere, there seems something that just does not work in this particular case.
Adding an improvised heat-sink to the IC allowed to complete testing, but still that one is definitely FUBAR.
Excluding the power-supply that cannot deliver enough current for the Headphone Amp to drive any load, it all tests really well. So we can make the few small corrections and get the next bunch of PCB’s made up, except for the power management. With only 30% of the current taken in from the battery coming out at the other end of the converter, with the rest turned into heat there is no way we can use this in production, battery life would be a joke and the whole thing would run hotter than a Class A Amp.
So we will need to look for another solution.
That is terrible! I use a voltage doubler adapter for one of my vacuum tube amps that allows me to use a tube that requires 12v for the filament but the power supply can only deliver 6v on the filament line otherwise the tube is the same except for the voltage on the filament. Sorry that you need to find a workable solution for the battery. Like the carton picture!
What is causing the problems, the high power rating of the headphone amp? Maybe lowering the power output for the headphone section will help. I find the micro iCan even powers my Sennheiser HD 650 to very loud levels at the 0dB gain setting, haven't used the 10 or 20dB gain in a while.
The way I read it is that Thorsten is trying to generate 8v from a 4.2 battery from a novel ideal. The efficiency is way too low. 70% of the battery energy is wasted in heat. Thorsten has to come up with another solution. Back to the drawing board for the next chapter from IFI!
Edited by john57 - 4/28/14 at 2:04pm
For someone who already has a Decware Taboo and voted 100% desktop like me ... all I gotta say is ...
Please please please, just make a 100% desktop version :)
The portable aspect is really ambitious and I applaud it, but I will almost certainly buy this if it is desktop with balanced outputs :D
After the micro iDSD is in full production there is still the mini to come out the third DAC from IFI which will just be a 100% desktop version that will have balanced outputs as per my understanding. There is a separate thread for it. Who knows that Thorsten may have more surprises in store.
- iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
- › Mojo's Greatest Hits 29 seconds ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 29 seconds ago
- › Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9! 1 minute ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 1 minute ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › LCD-3F (2015) 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added... 4 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by MentalDraco
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear