Originally Posted by Mag53
First of all, this is a great idea. With the technological knowhow behind AMR and iFI, it can only works well.
I will divide it in two:From the audiophile point of view:
1 – Async USB and Spdif/BNC (please keep it open so it can be used with other common digital sources apart from PC’s and mobile devices). Many audiophiles are on a transition path, they want to ‘taste’ high res files, but they are afraid to go high-end or they are simply short on budget. So they are willing to use PC, but they want to keep using their original CD player. So, why not use both types of digital inputs?
2 – RCA Out on the back.
3 – Battery and AC power.
4 – Led bit rate/resolution (very important).
5 – Defeat able analogue volume, with gain switch bellow, so you can connect directly.From the generic user point of view (of course, some of the above could be included ):
1 – Headphone output, with 3D and Xbass
3 – Battery and AC Power.
2 - Wireless (maybe Bluetooth). More and more people are using cloud services, like Tune in or Spotify to listen music (this has nothing to do with high quality, but anyway it’s a way of listening music) and more and more wireless connection is in our day by day lives. If the implementation is cheap and technically possible, it could be an important point in favour of the non-audiophile user or the audiophile that sometimes only wish to listen some tunes from his mobile source be it iOS or Android without getting up from the sofa. And it makes more sense in a iDSD Micro or Nano than of course on a Mini.
Good thought process here. To answer.
1. Asynch USB - already been there and done that! Been in the AMR and iFi line since 2009.
This is the 'micro' so it needs to work as a portable and as a desktop. Real estate for BNCs is unlikely as RCAs is already there.
2. RCAs - will continue same theme as iDAC.
3. Battery/Power - nano iDSD has already told us the battery is a monster feature.
4. LED Bit-Rate - as per nano iDSD...
5. Yes, fixed and variable camps both want their thing.
1. Headphone with 3D and XBass. Gulp!
2. Battery and AC. Battery definite because of sales of nano iDSD. Portable is big and it aint going away.
3. Wireless - the chassis size is a limit. As well as the cost of adding this. We do have a wireless project in the skunkworks. It is is reserved for a future project or two. This is a less popular option but good to raise here for other people to think about. You could add this to the mini iDSD thread. We will take note and good for other readers to see this.
Keep em coming....things seem to be hotting up.