or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit we'd like to see
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit we'd like to see - Page 7

post #91 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Tmotts III View Post
 

1. A Valhalla 2 with gain switches and pre outs

So much of this.

post #92 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

For the love of god: An amp/dac all in one. It's high time Schiit did one for convenience.

Simply a Magni or Vali with a Modi usb AND optical in an Asgard sized casing would be great.

Amp
optical AND usb dac
Rca input
Gain switch and input switch in front.

$300 range


You already have a large variety of single pieces. Some of us tend to be minimalists, and one piece of equipment would be a boon.

Expand your horizons and do your best to curb your distaste for all in ones. I would love to own a Schiit like this. Loved the Lyr, Asgard 2, Modi, and Magni. I'm a fan. I would be even more so if there was an all in one in the Schiit arsenal.

YEAP!

 

Honestly... the only reason I went with Audio GD over schiit was one was all in one, and required more space on my desk...

 

I to would love to see a schiit all in one 

post #93 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

YEAP!

Honestly... the only reason I went with Audio GD over schiit was one was all in one, and required more space on my desk...

I to would love to see a schiit all in one 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiit 
I want a combined DAC/amp! Why didn’t you put an amp in here?
We did. It’s just in a different chassis and costs another $99. It’s called “Magni.” Stack the two and tell yourself it’s a combined DAC/Amp for $198.

What’s your problem with combined DAC/Amps? Why can’t you put them in the same box?
Call us old-fashioned, but we don’t like multi-megahertz digital noise cruising around in the same chassis as sensitive analog amplification components. Nor do we like the planned obsolescence of a perfectly good amp when digital technology moves on. Let’s face it, you’ll probably be changing the DAC before the amp.

Source is this page under FAQ.

I could see them doing it if they ever made a portable DAC/Amp, but I doubt you'll find a desktop version. Besides, the Magni/Modi/Vali/Loki/SYS chassis is tiny. You could stack all five and it wouldn't take up that much space. (Actually, it would be six if you had both versions of Modi.)
Edited by superjawes - 5/8/14 at 3:59pm
post #94 of 419

I really don't see why people care about having an all in one if you can just stack them on top of each other. I'm pretty baffled. Do you have height requirements on all of your desks too?

post #95 of 419
Because its less wires, more convenience. One piece. More elegance. Period.

People can be apologists all they want, but one piece will always be look better and be more manageable than two.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 5/8/14 at 8:24pm
post #96 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Because its less wires, more convenience. One piece. More elegance. Period.

People can be apologists all they want, but one piece will always be look better and be more manageable than two.

 

Yep, one digital cable in, then headphone cable out.  Even speaker gear began to turn that way, and more advanced than the traditional "receiver" as we have DAC-HPamp one-box devices now.

 

 

We're just the reverse of the gear porn people who bring an iPod, iDevice DAC, and one amp feeding another amp feeding an LCD-2 as a portable in the same way that the ones using the new analog preamp-less DAC-speaker amps are going the other direction from those using a transport, DAC, tube buffer, tube amplifier, and a monoblock the size of a full ATX tower on each side. Except, of course, we aren't looking for B&O and Bose levels of looks+convenience+integration (and costs be damned!) over actual performance. Given this is a "Schiit we'd like to see" thread, I think it's perfectly alright to test the waters and see what comes of it, at least not until someone from this side of the argument starts to bash on anything that doesn't conform to his requirements like on non-Apple music player threads here.

post #97 of 419

It's one more power cable and 2 RCA cables. I don't see the elegance argument. Schiit has already explained that they don't like the idea of digital signals running around in the same chassis as sensitive analog equipment. Sounds like it means less noise and less crap to deal with to me, so I'm all for it. Plus, I can upgrade the headphone amp if I want and keep the awesome DAC instead of having to sell it all if I want some different sound. The advantage of the upgradable Bifrost that you can keep going forever, with any headphone amp you desire, is an amazing amount of value and efficiency. The whole "tons of gear" argument is just an exaggeration. It's ONE more thing, stacked on the other thing, and you get so much more versatility and value. I don't see why you're trying to test the waters when Jason has already said on his website and on Head-Fi that there will not be an all-in-one.

post #98 of 419

The upgrade of the DAC section I already addressed in my first post in the earlier pages of this thread. My suggestion as to the implementation of a DAC-HPamp, if they go through with such a device, also took into consideration this problem, which is why I suggested using a Schiit Asgard then in a corner of it have a daughterboard the size of (or smaller) than the Modi's, given the Modi's board was orginally the optional USB board on the Bifrost. Also, chances are upgrades aren't going to be all that frequent, likely if the ideal sound (like the Modi's) has been implemented then compatibility will be the only concern. Even then it won't be as frequent as one would think, given the raging debates on whether high-res is really what's better or the mastering was just better for starters; also that those who can live with a smaller, less complex DAC (but with a quality chip and clean output stage) aren't likely to jump around with different audio formats.

 

Actually this exchange is just a rehash of all the other times this suggestion was posted. It's understandable that some people keep posting it, whether they read previous pages or not, because they want to be counted in a "Schiit we'd like to see" thread. Also just because they do doesn't mean they never saw that post on Schiit's site, but getting counted here can count towards making what they want happen. This will only really be problematic if those who want a one-box solution will huff and puff and pound their feet to bash every product that doesn't conform to their specific requirements, like in virtually any thread about a portable player that wasn't made by Apple or any mainstream company that has an army of software engineers to work out bugs and constant updates.

post #99 of 419
So sludge, just because you're perfectly fine with the way Schiit has done things, (and going by your avatar, it's obvious where your bias lies), doesn't mean other people can't ask for something out of Schiit's prejudices against all in ones. They have equipment for almost all our needs as it stands, why not make one, just ONE that fills in the final gap? Like Protege states, an Asgard sized box with a small daughterboard for some Modi tech shouldn't be too hard for Schiit. I know I would be first in line for a Schiit all in one, even if it was just a Magni/Modi in an Asgard box.
post #100 of 419
You still get noise when you put digital components in the same box as your analog ones. You can desire it all you want, but I think Jason and Mike have made it clear that they won't be doing it.

If you really want to put it all in one chassis, buy a Magni and a Modi, take the boards out, then put them in a custom chassis. That isn't too intense of a DIY project, and if there really are a lot of people here who want it, I bet you can get a collective effort to design and purchase this chassis.
post #101 of 419
Yeah, because that's the same thing as a professional company making one.

And there have been plenty of amp/dacs that have no discernible noise. Just sounds like tech-snobbery.
post #102 of 419

I would like to have a Schiit portable amp capable of driving HD800 / T1. Maybe price it to compete with the HiFi-M8?

post #103 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Yeah, because that's the same thing as a professional company making one.

And there have been plenty of amp/dacs that have no discernible noise. Just sounds like tech-snobbery.
Considering you have a pretty sound "No" coming from the company you're asking, it's the best you're going to get.

And digital noise is a fact of life. Maybe you can deal with it, or maybe it's not a big enough deal to change your perception. Again, the company we're talking about has said "No" to putting a DAC and amp in the same box, and considering Mike's credentials, I doubt he'll be on board for changing that answer.
post #104 of 419

They've already said why not, that's why I'm wondering why people keep asking, but your point is totally fair that people should be able to ask for what they want. They've said the thing that is hard is designing the equipment to operate in the same box. There are special considerations to eliminate the digital noise in the analog equipment. Isn't this why we're all buying external DACs anyway? Because the ones in our computers are crap and operating with a ton of different digital noise and a switching power supply? I understand that Woo, Audio-GD and tons of other companies have made outstanding DAC/amp combos, but Schiit doesn't have the same design philosophy as them. You can't take a piece of equipment that was designed to operate by itself and just stick it in the amp housing, the design would need to be changed to withstand the digital noise you just introduced into that box.

 

We don't know what the chances are of upgrades. It depends on what other kinds of technology Schiit comes out with. The analog section could change to different kinds, which it already has with what they learned with Mjolnir, the USB card could add more functionality and compatibility, USB standards may change, any number of things that we don't know anything about might happen.

 

As far as the "elegance" argument, I was just trying to understand where people are coming from with that. It's not something that ever even crossed my mind. I think the two Schiit stacks that I own are gorgeous, but yes, my bias is pretty obvious, as I have drank from the Schiit Kool-Aid fountain, and it was good. Damn them marketing tricks.

post #105 of 419
An affordable portable headphone amp.
A USB computer DAC/soundcard like the "Dragonfly" but reasonably priced.
Headphone stand/s.
Seperate/upgradeable power supply units.
Combo DAC/amp in the $750.00 range.
Limited edition colours.
Equipment racks(for desktop use).

Cheers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit we'd like to see