Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › FLAC or any other high res formats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FLAC or any other high res formats

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Is there a physical shop to purchase FLAC or any high res format? Excuse me for being a noob but its currently alien territory to me that I'd like to cross into it. Only problem is 1) i have no wifi, only phone data plan 2) i'd need parents help to purchase online ( hard to get help from them ) . Help?
post #2 of 23

Why not go out and buy some CD's? There are many places that sell CD's.

post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
I read that CDs are only PCM or something and basically are not FLAC format. I have many many CDs at home and can burn music off them anytime but I just want to get hi res file for once to experience hi res
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforIEMs View Post

I read that CDs are only PCM or something and basically are not FLAC format. I have many many CDs at home and can burn music off them anytime but I just want to get hi res file for once to experience hi res

Hi-res is in no way better than CD quality, trust me on that. You just need to rip your CD's in lossless quality (like WAV or FLAC).

post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Hi-res is in no way better than CD quality, trust me on that. You just need to rip your CD's in lossless quality (like WAV or FLAC).
O.o thanks for the advice Bro! smily_headphones1.gif
post #6 of 23

You're welcome. I suppose you are a human without superhuman hearing, right? Then don't think anymore of needing hi-res files.

 

In reality, though, some DACs measure better when receiving 192/24, and in some cases downsampling from hi-res files can yield audible artefacts, but if everything is done right, there shouldn't be an audible difference.

post #7 of 23

I can't hear a difference either. 

post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Well, I'll only get to hear the diff when I get time to burn the songs. ... drowned in homework now. Anyways thanks for the info guys wink.gif
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Hey guys...... ripped some old albums and some new ones into nothing FLAC and WAV. All i can say is that on 16/44.1, WAV is far far clearer and has much less distortion. Now gotta find some HDCDs smily_headphones1.gif
post #10 of 23
Seems unlikely unless you screwed something up
post #11 of 23

try HDTRACKS.COM i 

post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Nope I used dbpoweramp to convert all sorts of albums like Mariah Carey ' s Music Box, Michael Jackson ' s HIStory and Dangerous and many more. WAV was consistently clearer. It could be because of my DAP, the X5 tho. Read somewhere that a certain update caused some problems with FLAC encoded music
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen4joy View Post

try HDTRACKS.COM i 


I would but I can't but cos I don't have a credit /debit card and have no sponsor for one
Edited by lookingforIEMs - 6/15/14 at 1:35am
post #14 of 23

I'd recommend carrying out a double-blind listening test to determine whether or not you can actually determine a difference in quality between formats if you're still concerned about hearing the best audio. I used to think I could differentiate them but after experimenting a bit I found that I was pretty much guessing. Put my mind at ease and let me just enjoy the music.

post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogang View Post
 

I'd recommend carrying out a double-blind listening test to determine whether or not you can actually determine a difference in quality between formats if you're still concerned about hearing the best audio. I used to think I could differentiate them but after experimenting a bit I found that I was pretty much guessing. Put my mind at ease and let me just enjoy the music.

+1 

 

I've done several double blind tests between mp3 320, FLAC, and higher-res stuff and the 320 is just as transparent to these ears as anything else. There is very little proof anywhere of anyone who can reliably discern between anything better than CD quality and mp3 320. That being said, I've converted my entire library to 320 to save space. Doubled the amount of music I can put on my X5!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › FLAC or any other high res formats