or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Beyond a certain price point, why would someone not get customs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyond a certain price point, why would someone not get customs?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
It seems like a lot of folks have huge IEM budgets and yet still choose universals over customs. I've never owned a set of customs, but I have a pair on order and figured they were a no-brainer for those whose budget allows, but I read of a lot of people who apparently don't feel that way. What advantages do universals have over customs?
post #2 of 8
Accessibility? I don't think there are many ear molding places near me? I'd imagine others are in a similar situation.
Another possibly is that the resale value is less in most cases.
Other than that, yeah it seems pretty logical to go customs.

Might be preferences too, I think many universals appeal to people who like v shaped sign.
post #3 of 8

I'm put off because of the time it takes to get the customs, all the trouble you need to go to to get impressions. People say it's more difficult to get them out of your ear, so not that suitable in the workplace. Of course some people seem to have no trouble so I'm not sure on that one. But then I hear stories of people losing/gaining weight and having to have them refit. I don't know how much weight loss or gain is involved in changing your ear canals but it puts me off a bit. 

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbleroar View Post
 

I'm put off because of the time it takes to get the customs, all the trouble you need to go to to get impressions. People say it's more difficult to get them out of your ear, so not that suitable in the workplace. Of course some people seem to have no trouble so I'm not sure on that one. But then I hear stories of people losing/gaining weight and having to have them refit. I don't know how much weight loss or gain is involved in changing your ear canals but it puts me off a bit. 


It's a bit of a learning curve at first, but I use customs at work and not had any trouble getting them in and out.  It does depend on how often you are interrupted though I suppose.  I can go for two three hours some days without being interrupted, or I can have 4 people in half an hour come up to me, in which case it can be annoying!  In many ways putting customs in once used to it can be quicker then universals if using foam tips such as comply.  Disadvantages are having to find a good audiologist for the molds and paying for it, paying to ship the molds to your choice of ciem maker, the wait time which can be anything from a week or so (if using rush, which is extra normally) to up to 12 weeks in extreme cases (unique melody amongst others!), possible taxes on return of ciems depending if you have ordered abroad, the possibility of refits (though granted this doesn't happen to everyone) and so on.

post #5 of 8

The whole process is a bit off-putting.  You might need to get them reshelled as ear shape changes.  It's a bit unnerving to carry around $1000+ customs around.  It's hard to audition customs you basically have to do a lot of reading, and knowing what sound signature you're after..

post #6 of 8

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but I have a related question.

 

Is there a difference between "custom" IEMs and getting custom tips for universal IEMs?  Or getting universals re-shelled, for that matter?  And if so, what is the difference?

 

Thank you.

 

Nick

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas B View Post
 

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but I have a related question.

 

Is there a difference between "custom" IEMs and getting custom tips for universal IEMs?  Or getting universals re-shelled, for that matter?  And if so, what is the difference?

 

Thank you.

 

Nick


Custom iem or ciem - something from the ground up as it were from whatever company you choose, Cosmic Ears, JH Audio, Ultimate Ears, Unique Melody and so on and so forth.

 

Custom Tips are just that, Tips that you put on the end of certain universals replacing the stock tips that came with it.  As the prices of customs have fallen over the years these seem to have fallen out of favour.  The most common ones seem to be Etymotic with their connection to acs.  In theory this should be the best of both worlds.  Also as some iems use the same type of nozzle you could in theory use the tip on more than one type of iem.

 

Reshell is where you send in your impressions and your favourite (normally BA or balanced armature) iems and the company you choose take the guts and turn them into customs.  The advantage of this is that you are familiar with the type of sound so know what to expect.  The downside is that that sound signature might be changed a bit due to the placement.  Not every company offers this service.

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
 


Custom iem or ciem - something from the ground up as it were from whatever company you choose, Cosmic Ears, JH Audio, Ultimate Ears, Unique Melody and so on and so forth.

 

Custom Tips are just that, Tips that you put on the end of certain universals replacing the stock tips that came with it.  As the prices of customs have fallen over the years these seem to have fallen out of favour.  The most common ones seem to be Etymotic with their connection to acs.  In theory this should be the best of both worlds.  Also as some iems use the same type of nozzle you could in theory use the tip on more than one type of iem.

 

Reshell is where you send in your impressions and your favourite (normally BA or balanced armature) iems and the company you choose take the guts and turn them into customs.  The advantage of this is that you are familiar with the type of sound so know what to expect.  The downside is that that sound signature might be changed a bit due to the placement.  Not every company offers this service.

Dear David:

 

You answered my question clearly and accurately.  But I was less than clear with my question.  I was more interested in the qualitative differences between the various options.  Why would one be preferred over the other?  CIEMs strike me as usually being more expensive that UIEM's, even when taking into account the costs of custom molds for the UIEMs.  This is so even among very similar IEMs and even within brands.  Why the premium?  What is better?  The sound?  The fit?  Both?

 

Thank you again.

 

Nick.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Beyond a certain price point, why would someone not get customs?