New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade from CAL!

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

 

This is my current setup - Fiio D03k => Grado RA1 clone => Creative Aurvana Live!

Here's a screenshot of my current FLAC library:

As you can tell, I pretty much listen to everything. For sound signature, I like a slight V, but I find the CAL (a Denon rebrand) to be too strong in bass and not tight enough. Before the CAL, I had a Grado SR125i. I Didn't like them at all. Too uncomfortable, not enough bass, too much sibilance. I'm a detail freak too. I love instrument separation. Any recommendations? So far, my plan is O2+ODAC => Hifiman HE-400.

Thanks!


Edited by GreatoGrado - 3/17/14 at 5:16pm
post #2 of 7
HE-400 will give you some nice bass emphasis and will sound very good with the O2/ODAC. You'll get excellent detail resolution. I also like the bigger soundstage of the HE-400 over my Grado SR225i.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

HE-400 will give you some nice bass emphasis and will sound very good with the O2/ODAC. You'll get excellent detail resolution. I also like the bigger soundstage of the HE-400 over my Grado SR225i.

Thanks for the reply! Unrelated, but what do you think of the SR225i? How does it compare to the lower end Grados, if you've heard them?

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatoGrado View Post

Thanks for the reply! Unrelated, but what do you think of the SR225i? How does it compare to the lower end Grados, if you've heard them?

You can get 80 to 90% of the way to the SR225i sound with an SR80i by switching the pads to the L-cush that the SR225i uses.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


You can get 80 to 90% of the way to the SR225i sound with an SR80i by switching the pads to the L-cush that the SR225i uses.

I remember when I had the SR125i I did the quarter mod and it helped a lot. 

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatoGrado View Post

I remember when I had the SR125i I did the quarter mod and it helped a lot. 

Yeah. You can vary them quite a bit just by changing pads. Lately, just for fun, I've been using my SR225i with the comfies smily_headphones1.gif
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 

Anyone else have any suggestions?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home