Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Comic Book Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comic Book Suggestions

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

So recently I decided I was going to finally make the dive and read some comics. I am starting with both of Top Cow's Witch Blade (read up to issue 20) and The Darkness (read up to issue 12, and the PITT cross overs). I love both of those so far and ordered some HC Trades/Compendiums of both series, along with the Spawn Origin HC trades, which is a character I have always loved (seen the crappy movie along with the entire HBO series). I am just trying to plan on what to read next after I am done reading these. I really like the Darker/Adult themes these books share, in fact I seem to have a hard time enjoying the less mature comics. So far I much prefer Image/top cow writing to the more popular DC and Marvel Comics granted I have only read random comics.

 

Any suggestions? I am thinking of escaping the realm of Invincible powers that Spawn, The Darkness, and Witchblade share, but I would not object from reading more god-like characters. I also prefer comics that are collected in easy to find trades. Since I am not a hardcore collector or anything, it makes my life easier to read a bunch of comics like a graphic novel or just a regular book. I really liked PITT in the Darkness crossover, but the series was short lived and I have no idea how difficult it is to find them.

post #2 of 22

Man for darker more mature stuff read the series called "Hellblazer". This is one of the greates comics I have ever read. Its a 300 issue series and its all pretty much amazing. It was a Vertigo series.

 

Trust me this is an amazing series and you will not be dissapointed.

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinBo37 View Post
 

Man for darker more mature stuff read the series called "Hellblazer". This is one of the greates comics I have ever read. Its a 300 issue series and its all pretty much amazing. It was a Vertigo series.

 

Trust me this is an amazing series and you will not be dissapointed.

Alright I'll will put that on my list of things to check out. I read 100 Bullets is pretty good as well, have you read those? I was also thinking of checking out Haunt, but I read that it was kind of a love/hate comic. Any one have experience with Haunt?

 

I also will probably buy all 6 issues of Wanted as I heard great things about them. The Comic actually sounds way better than the movie, in which I did not think was too bad. I also bought 2 TPB of The Goon after getting another recommendation from some one else, and seeing that awesome youtube video below. I read a bit of the Maxx which is decent and a bit on the strange side. Right now I am focusing on the Darkness and am almost to the 2nd volume.

 

I really hope the Goon movie comes out after that kickstarter campaign they had...

post #4 of 22

Dont spoil the plot but you can get an idea of the series here

 

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellblazer

 

 

I cant stress enough how amazing this comic is.

post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 

Well I found Hellblazer #1 at my local Half Price Books for $1. I gave it a shot. It has me intrigued about the series. Just reading the first issue it does not seem like they will hold anything back. I will keep an eye out for other ones. They had issues #60-70 as well but that seemed like too much of a jump.

post #6 of 22

I just mentioned it on a another thread but the "V for Vendetta" graphic novel is pretty dope.

post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
 

Well I found Hellblazer #1 at my local Half Price Books for $1. I gave it a shot. It has me intrigued about the series. Just reading the first issue it does not seem like they will hold anything back. I will keep an eye out for other ones. They had issues #60-70 as well but that seemed like too much of a jump.

Thanks for giving it a try! I would just go straight to amazon and start to order the trade paperbacks from the beginning. Just buy the first 2 and once you finish you will want to try more!

post #8 of 22
Here are my suggestion by publisher.

Image
Chew
Undertow
The Walking Dead (Do not compare this to show. It is not even remotely close in any way.)
The Pro

Dynamite
The Boys

Dark Horse
Furious
R.I.P.D.

IDW Publishing
The Cape (This has no affiliation to the show that got dropped. Just shared the same name.)

Archaia StudiosPress
The Killer

I could go on and on.
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinBo37 View Post
 

Thanks for giving it a try! I would just go straight to amazon and start to order the trade paperbacks from the beginning. Just buy the first 2 and once you finish you will want to try more!

Yeah I will eventually get there. I am a bit low on cash from ordering trades of other comics atm. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPGsanti View Post

Here are my suggestion by publisher.

Image
Chew
Undertow
The Walking Dead (Do not compare this to show. It is not even remotely close in any way.)
The Pro

Dynamite
The Boys

Dark Horse
Furious
R.I.P.D.

IDW Publishing
The Cape (This has no affiliation to the show that got dropped. Just shared the same name.)

Archaia StudiosPress
The Killer

I could go on and on.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a question about walking dead though. Are all the comics in black and white or just the trades? Every time I see a trade in a store its in BW.

 

@themuna- thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure how much I would like that one. I read a bit in the store I was at.


Edited by gamefreak054 - 3/22/14 at 5:39am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
 

 

@themuna- thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure how much I would like that one. I read a bit in the store I was at.

NP.  The art style is a little bland but it lends to the content well.  

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by themuna View Post
 

NP.  The art style is a little bland but it lends to the content well.  

That is probably what bugged me. The comics I have been reading have had a pretty wicked art style, and its probably hard to get pulled into the book when you are just glancing through it.


Edited by gamefreak054 - 3/22/14 at 10:20am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by themuna View Post
 

NP.  The art style is a little bland but it lends to the content well.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
 

That is probably what bugged me. The comics I have been reading have had a pretty wicked art style, and its probably hard to get pulled into the book when you are just glancing through it.

 

The choice of black and white was the best thing they could have done.  Color would have taken away from the emotions they are trying to portray.  The story is dark, not happy go lucky, or bland in art detail.  If it was in color I feel it would not do as well.  

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPGsanti View Post
 

 

 

 

The choice of black and white was the best thing they could have done.  Color would have taken away from the emotions they are trying to portray.  The story is dark, not happy go lucky, or bland in art detail.  If it was in color I feel it would not do as well.  

agreed. Some dark faded splashes may have looked good at points but it is really supposed to be a haunting reflection (IMHO anyway).

post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 

Not sure if there was some confusion, but I was originally talking about not liking the art of V for Vendetta that much. Its coloring is kind of bland, and from what I saw the drawings were not that special. I did  not look at it too long though. If it is anything like the movie though, I imagine it being very story driven.

 

I was wondering if Walking Dead was all in BW, because I would prefer to buy a color version if they had one. I can live with BW as I do a bit of manga reading. I personally prefer color over BW though.

post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
 

Not sure if there was some confusion, but I was originally talking about not liking the art of V for Vendetta that much. Its coloring is kind of bland, and from what I saw the drawings were not that special. I did  not look at it too long though. If it is anything like the movie though, I imagine it being very story driven.

 

I was wondering if Walking Dead was all in BW, because I would prefer to buy a color version if they had one. I can live with BW as I do a bit of manga reading. I personally prefer color over BW though.

I think I may have misread.  As for V for Vendetta being bland I think it is just the style of its time.  It was originally published back in 1982, so it is definitely showing its age.  I will say this though Alan Moore is probably one of the best authors in comics, but that is just a personal opinion.  I would also suggest to look at The Killing Joke by him.  I know it is not what you are looking for, but it is just one of the best Batman stories of all time.  Hell, anything by Alan Moore is gold.

 

To add to:

V for Vendetta is probably a controversial subject.  It is a big love hate by many.  You are either for the view, or not.  A quite political piece of work by Alan Moore.


Edited by TPGsanti - 3/22/14 at 8:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Comic Book Suggestions