Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › High End Bluetooth Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High End Bluetooth Headphones - Page 5

post #61 of 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b2 View Post
 

Yeh things like customer service and return policies are generally rubbish here in Australia. There are always exceptions with certain companies (especially Australian companies) but overall its far worse than in America or Canada. Several times when I have had a problem with something I ended up waiting til 2am and contacting the American customer service people as the local ones were useless with anything other than reading from a manual.

 

Fair enough on your reasons for choosing only aptx devices. For me though the overall sound quality is more important than the tech. My phone does have aptx though my laptop doesn't so aptx isn't really a dealkbreaker for me (though I am willing to purchase a dongle if I find aptx does make a huge difference). Whichever has the best sound overall is what I would pick regardless of if its streaming method though I guess that can't be determined until I get to try out some other headphones. AKG have been pretty rubbish with their service since the initial response and I can't find any place with some of the other recommendations on display. Guess I'll just keep hunting in the meantime.

We on the same team... :beerchug:

 

BTW, what headphones are you using now, and why don't you just swing for that AKG 845BT?

post #62 of 891
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
 

We on the same team... :beerchug:

 

BTW, what headphones are you using now, and why don't you just swing for that AKG 845BT?


I've currently got ATH-M50 for wired and Sony DR-BT21G for bluetooth. The ATH-M50 are quite good though I would like to be wire free from now on for portabe use and the DR-BT21G have been failing lately, not to mention look funny. Don't really want to jump on the AKG for the same reason I haven't been willing to jump on anything else. Would like to hear them first before I make a decision. Don't want to buy something which I don't like and end up having to sell it on ebay as I can't return it. I'm still looking at some of the other recommendations given like the Sennheiser, Bluebuds X, Pendulumic Stance and some of turbobb's recomendations though they are proving even harder to track down a test pair of round here.

post #63 of 891

@n00b2 - I have the Pendulumic S1 on pre-order but they won't be arriving for another 2-3 weeks so can't give any impressions until then. However, right off the bat, I feel that the headband might be an issue for me as is the case with the HK BT right now. I really dislike anything that presses down on the head and this is the same reason I've been shying away from the Philips X1 (wanted to try my first open cans). I had considered the AKG 845BT but the main reason I ended up passing on them is that I've read it doesn't ever truly shut off and that you need to shut off the BT source and let it time out otherwise it'll drain the battery and there have been multiple reports that the battery life is poor which corroborates this IMO. Otherwise, these would've been my pick over the JBL S400BT.

 

My initial recollection of the ATH-M50 was based on a very brief listen of my co-worker's set at work. However, my refurb pair just arrived (was a great deal at $69 after $10 coupon on nomorerack) and after another listen, it's as I recalled it. The sound profile is very similar to the AF62 with exception that it's got slightly more bass (although not as tight) and the mid's are just a little more recessed. However, the biggest difference is that it has better sound isolation but also slightly less wide soundstage. If you like the sound from your ATH-M50 then I'd try to see if you can find any of the following to listen from my other thread:


ME Electronics: AF52, AF62

Nakamichi: BT304/HP01

 

Just take note of the cons I've listed for each.

 

BTW, I noticed you mentioned the Sony's were a bit bright, I actually find the ATH-M50 (& the AF62) to be such (on certain tracks) so I take it that the Sony's are even more so to you? I'm asking as I'm interested in the MDR 1RBT MK2.

 

Good luck with your hunt, I'm still searching as while the AF62's sound is just about perfect, the fit I find to be a little fiddly at times. I wish the ear pads were softer like on the Harman BT and had memory foam behind them, as I feel it'd improve the comfort level a bit. Also wish that it wasn't so "plasticky".

 

@cehowardNote3 - really eager to try the MDR 1RBT MK2 but was a little worried about warranty service since these are only offered overseas. However, audiocubes in NYC has mentioned they'd honor warranty work so I might just have to give these a try. 


Cheers,
Tim


Edited by turbobb - 4/21/14 at 9:20am
post #64 of 891
Thread Starter 

@turbobb I guess it really depends on the tracks you listen to but I wouldn't really say the 1RBT MK2 were bright, There wasn't really any of the overly harsh treble you would hear on really bright pairs. I felt that they were reasonably well balanced overall (lacking slightly in the bass) with a decent soundstage for a closed pair. The bass was lacking compared to my ATH-M50 but those are a bit bassy to begin with. My only real issue with it was the excessive sibilance over bluetooth. Was there on pretty much all tracks and was very prominent on certain tracks which I felt was unbearable. That said, I have yet to find any other complaints about this issue anywhere so it could well be that I was listening to a bad pair.

 

You said you considered the AKG K845BT. Have you listened to them at all? If you have, how do they compare with the ME Electronics models you tested and recommended? The issue of it not shutting down properly, do you know what exactly happens when you press the power button to shut it down? Would be very annoying if it was flat everytime I tried to use it if I got it.

post #65 of 891

No, haven't tried it. I based the con's on the reviews I read on Amazon, specifically these two:

Devil's Advocate (no off switch) 

Matthew A. Soldo (Poor battery life & paint finish wear)

 

Also this review mentioned there was no track skipping functionality.

 

However, in going through the reviews I just noticed this one that says the bluetooth button is the power off button. I've posted a comment to the first reviewer to see if he can test whether that physically shuts it off (and being AKG is under Harman, hopefully it should since the Harman BT's bluetooth button also acts as the on/off switch).

 

If these ever crop up on Harman's refurb list for a good deal then I just might give 'em a try. Thanks for your feedback on the Sony.

post #66 of 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobb View Post
 

No, haven't tried it. I based the con's on the reviews I read on Amazon, specifically these two:

Devil's Advocate (no off switch) 

Matthew A. Soldo (Poor battery life & paint finish wear)

 

Also this review mentioned there was no track skipping functionality.

 

However, in going through the reviews I just noticed this one that says the bluetooth button is the power off button. I've posted a comment to the first reviewer to see if he can test whether that physically shuts it off (and being AKG is under Harman, hopefully it should since the Harman BT's bluetooth button also acts as the on/off switch).

 

If these ever crop up on Harman's refurb list for a good deal then I just might give 'em a try. Thanks for your feedback on the Sony.

 

Regarding the BT845:

  • There is a power button that will turn the BT on and off.  It's a single click that will do it (other Harman products like the BT require you to hold the button to turn it on and off). 
  • When you plug in the audio cable into the headphones, the BT will shut off and it will automatically switch to passive (wired) mode. 
  • There is NO track control, as in, you can't skip tracks, seek, go back to a previous track, etc.  If your phone has a push and hold function (iPhone would activate Siri normally), that is NOT supported as well.  Harman Kardon's BT does support all of this.
  • You do get controls to play and pause and control the internal amp volume.
post #67 of 891

@tinyman392 - thx a lot for the clarification. Perhaps this will make it back on my list to try now. :wink_face:

post #68 of 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobb View Post
 

@n00b2 - I have the Pendulumic S1 on pre-order but they won't be arriving for another 2-3 weeks so can't give any impressions until then. However, right off the bat, I feel that the headband might be an issue for me as is the case with the HK BT right now. I really dislike anything that presses down on the head and this is the same reason I've been shying away from the Philips X1 (wanted to try my first open cans). I had considered the AKG 845BT but the main reason I ended up passing on them is that I've read it doesn't ever truly shut off and that you need to shut off the BT source and let it time out otherwise it'll drain the battery and there have been multiple reports that the battery life is poor which corroborates this IMO. Otherwise, these would've been my pick over the JBL S400BT.

 

My initial recollection of the ATH-M50 was based on a very brief listen of my co-worker's set at work. However, my refurb pair just arrived (was a great deal at $69 after $10 coupon on nomorerack) and after another listen, it's as I recalled it. The sound profile is very similar to the AF62 with exception that it's got slightly more bass (although not as tight) and the mid's are just a little more recessed. However, the biggest difference is that it has better sound isolation but also slightly less wide soundstage. If you like the sound from your ATH-M50 then I'd try to see if you can find any of the following to listen from my other thread:


ME Electronics: AF52, AF62

Nakamichi: BT304/PH01

 

Just take note of the cons I've listed for each.

 

BTW, I noticed you mentioned the Sony's were a bit bright, I actually find the ATH-M50 (& the AF62) to be such (on certain tracks) so I take it that the Sony's are even more so to you? I'm asking as I'm interested in the MDR 1RBT MK2.

 

Good luck with your hunt, I'm still searching as while the AF62's sound is just about perfect, the fit I find to be a little fiddly at times. I wish the ear pads were softer like on the Harman BT and had memory foam behind them, as I feel it'd improve the comfort level a bit. Also wish that it wasn't so "plasticky".

 

@cehowardNote3 - really eager to try the MDR 1RBT MK2 but was a little worried about warranty service since these are only offered overseas. However, audiocubes in NYC has mentioned they'd honor warranty work so I might just have to give these a try. 


Cheers,
Tim

 

Tim, first on your pre order of the Pendulumic S1, I went right to Amazon to check them out. Sure enough, they follow the course, of having aptx in their features. These are first in line to be my 3rd pair of headphones.:) Don't know what country you are in, but Amazon here in USA states that they will be shipping the Pendulumic S1 on April 8th..That 3 days from now, not 3 weeks..

 

On the MK2s, I too was skeptical because they are "gray market" to me, and I had to order directly from an overseas vendor..I did my research on the vendor before I purchased. All the feedback was good. Also, the procedure was written in stone if I need warranty service. This was confirmed by feedback from others and asking the vendor myself. First, you keep all the packing/box for 1 year. If anything happens to the headphones that require warranty service, you notify the vendor, send them back to the vendor with all the original packing, and the vendor in turn sends them to Sony.. When finished, the vendor sends them back to me. This has been confirmed. Also, the price can be a deal changer as it was for me. After reading that the MK2, had made improvements on issues that were mentioned in the 1RBT, and the addition of aptx, along with a knock out $309 plus $25 shipping price, they had me..Incidentally, the same vendor that sold me the MK2 for $309 are selling the lower Sony 10RBT for $269.  The MK2, outclasses the 10RBT.

post #69 of 891
Thread Starter 

Regarding the Pendulumic headphones, it would be good if we could find out more about then including what the major difference is between the stance and motion headphones. All that the website seems to say is that the stance has the backup AAA batteries and an amplified mode while the motion has the equaliser modes. Would be good to know how they sound over just plain wireless or wired.

post #70 of 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b2 View Post
 

Regarding the Pendulumic headphones, it would be good if we could find out more about then including what the major difference is between the stance and motion headphones. All that the website seems to say is that the stance has the backup AAA batteries and an amplified mode while the motion has the equaliser modes. Would be good to know how they sound over just plain wireless or wired.

 

I'd recommend emailing their CS and asking if they share drivers ;)  The drivers have the same specs, which makes me think they do, but then again, I could be wrong XD 

post #71 of 891

Re: S1 vs. M1 since the specs are identical here's what I can tell based on the info posted on their site as well as the user guides:

 

S1

Right pad features a 3-way switch for:

- Wireless

- Wired + Powered Amplifier

- Wired unpowered mode (doesn't use battery)

There's also a multi-function dial for:

- volume control

- ability to: pick up/hang up call, play/pause and fwd track

It also houses the headphone cable jack & the microphone

 

Left pad also features a 3-way switch for:

Power On (using 2 AAA batteries)

Off

Power On (Internal battery)

It also houses the USB charging port as well as the AAA battery compartment and cover

 

Accessories (beyond charging & audio cable) include 2 adapters: Airline & 1/4

 

M1

Right pad features 3 buttons:

Volume Up / Next track (via press & hold)

Pick up/hang up call | Play/Pause | EQ change (has two modes via quick double-press)

Volume down / Prev track (via press & hold)

It also houses the headphone cable jack & the microphone

 

Left pad features simple On/Off switch

It also houses the headphone cable jack & the microphone

 

Doesn't include the 2 adapters that the S1 comes with.

 

@cehowardNote3 - I had ordered from a different seller thus the quoted shipping time. Lemme know how you like it when you get yours.


Edited by turbobb - 4/5/14 at 9:41pm
post #72 of 891
Thread Starter 

So it appears that both headphones have the same communication abilities, skipping tracks, etc on the right cup and the power on the left cup. Only differences are the extra batteries which give the powered mode in S1 and the adapters while the M1 has the equaliser modes. I guess asking the customer support about the drivers and the differences between those features would be a good way answer how those differences effect the headphones.

post #73 of 891
Quote:

 

@cehowardNote3 - I had ordered from a different seller thus the quoted shipping time. Lemme know how you like it when you get yours.

 

Nope, I haven't ordered them yet.. Right now, some other items have priority on the order list over these. Most likely, around the 10th of 11th, we will see some youtube videos on these. My replacement HKs will be here on Thursday too.

post #74 of 891

n00b2, if these and/or this deal is available in your country/area, then I think these are the ones for you.. I think they cover all your needs... Nice price too...

 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=840398&gclid=CM2VmeuA0b0CFUYV7AodITMA9Q&Q=&is=REG&A=details

post #75 of 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b2 View Post

Yes both source and headphones need to support aptx. My phone does but the laptop doesn't so its not really the biggest issue for me. Haven't heard of the Pendulumic Stance headphones. Googling them they seem really new. How were they when you saw them compared to other known headphones?

They were very enjoyable, comfortable and sounded quite excellent. Built in amp and long battery, I actually ordered a pair for myself for use at school
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › High End Bluetooth Headphones