or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › High End Bluetooth Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High End Bluetooth Headphones - Page 4

post #46 of 888
Thread Starter 
I see. Which comply tips did you buy? Saw 5 different ones on the website.
post #47 of 888
Thread Starter 

@cehowardNote3 Have you had a chance to find out how the headphones sound over aptx and standard bluetooth? I'm curious about how they would go.

post #48 of 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b2 View Post
 

@cehowardNote3 Have you had a chance to find out how the headphones sound over aptx and standard bluetooth? I'm curious about how they would go.

 

Yes, to be truthful, I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe it was the material I was listening to or my bad hearing. However, I am going to go with by better judgement and that is the opinion that bluetooth devices with aptx have the edge of the same devices without aptx.

 

Mostly all the higher end bluetooth headphones include aptx..The Sony MDR 1RBT, didn't have it, but Sony revised it quickly, and came out with the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, which includes that  aptx coding..

 

Have you tried out the AKG K845BT?  And have you made your choice yet?

post #49 of 888
Doesn't the phone (or whatever source) have to support aptX ad well?

The Pendulumic Stance headphones at the meet were excellent, and well priced, though they were cans not IEMs of course.
post #50 of 888
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
 

 

Yes, to be truthful, I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe it was the material I was listening to or my bad hearing. However, I am going to go with by better judgement and that is the opinion that bluetooth devices with aptx have the edge of the same devices without aptx.

 

Mostly all the higher end bluetooth headphones include aptx..The Sony MDR 1RBT, didn't have it, but Sony revised it quickly, and came out with the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, which includes that  aptx coding..

 

Have you tried out the AKG K845BT?  And have you made your choice yet?


You couldnt tell the difference between the two headphones or you couldn't tell the difference between listening via aptx vs non aptx using the same headphones?

 

Haven't had the chance to test out the AKG yet. They said middle of this month it should be available to test out. I did go back to the sony store again and tried the 1RBT and 10RBT out again. the 1RBT was definitely the better sounding overall and they both sounded great via cable. However over bluetooth they both had strong sibilance and the 1RBT was definitely more annoying in that regard. Which was disappointing. The salespeople felt that it could be an issue with that particular set however I can't really confirm that just yet.

post #51 of 888
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteKirby View Post

Doesn't the phone (or whatever source) have to support aptX ad well?

The Pendulumic Stance headphones at the meet were excellent, and well priced, though they were cans not IEMs of course.

Yes both source and headphones need to support aptx. My phone does but the laptop doesn't so its not really the biggest issue for me. Haven't heard of the Pendulumic Stance headphones. Googling them they seem really new. How were they when you saw them compared to other known headphones?

post #52 of 888
post #53 of 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteKirby View Post

Doesn't the phone (or whatever source) have to support aptX ad well?

The Pendulumic Stance headphones at the meet were excellent, and well priced, though they were cans not IEMs of course.

 

Yes, and IMO, most HIGH END phones have it..;and IMO again, most HIGH END bluetooth headphones have aptx..

post #54 of 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b2 View Post
 


You couldnt tell the difference between the two headphones or you couldn't tell the difference between listening via aptx vs non aptx using the same headphones?

 

Haven't had the chance to test out the AKG yet. They said middle of this month it should be available to test out. I did go back to the sony store again and tried the 1RBT and 10RBT out again. the 1RBT was definitely the better sounding overall and they both sounded great via cable. However over bluetooth they both had strong sibilance and the 1RBT was definitely more annoying in that regard. Which was disappointing. The salespeople felt that it could be an issue with that particular set however I can't really confirm that just yet.

I can tell the difference between headphones. When I turned off the aptx on the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 for the time and music I was using, to be truthful, I couldn't tell the difference between aptx and non aptx..

 

However, I still give the nod to the aptx capable bluetooth headphones..

 

On that Sony MDR 1RBT, along with not having aptx, it has some other mild concerns that audiophiles have noted. Sony, in bringing out the upgrade MK2 model, with the exact looks, but with aptx, and addressed those issues that audiophiles/reviews had mentioned,  was a IMO a winner.. Just like I have been touting, any bluetooth headphone should have that aptx codec, mainly the headphones selling for over $200.

 

The Harman Kardon BT with aptx, IMO, are a steal. Should even be thought on those, for the $97 + free shipping and full manufacturer's warranty, they are a steal/gift. They come with two headbands, I  quickly found that for my head size, the smaller band or the one that came on it was a perfect fit.. The Sony MDR at the gym, when I am doing extreme moves on the pull up bar, or the sit up apparatus, the Sony's will slip. For those exercises I take the Sony headphones off. Not so for the Harman Kardon BT.. They clamp on my funny looking head like a tight fitting comfortable glove, and no slippage whatsoever. They are keepers. However, I had to send my first Harman Kardon BTs back.. One of the wires was longer then the other and was very unsightly too me. I started to put some tape on it, but hey, they have full manufacturer's warranty, and along with free shipping back..  Harman Kardon sent me a return label, and as of now, the 2nd pair of Harman Kardon BT are on the way to me..


Edited by cehowardNote3 - 4/4/14 at 12:26pm
post #55 of 888
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
 

I can tell the difference between headphones. When I turned off the aptx on the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 for the time and music I was using, to be truthful, I couldn't tell the difference between aptx and non aptx..

 

However, I still give the nod to the aptx capable bluetooth headphones..

 

On that Sony MDR 1RBT, along with not having aptx, it has some other mild concerns that audiophiles have noted. Sony, in bringing out the upgrade MK2 model, with the exact looks, but with aptx, and addressed those issues that audiophiles/reviews had mentioned,  was a IMO a winner.. Just like I have been touting, any bluetooth headphone should have that aptx codec, mainly the headphones selling for over $200.

 

The Harman Kardon BT with aptx, IMO, are a steal. Should even be thought on those, for the $97 + free shipping and full manufacturer's warranty, they are a steal/gift. They come with two headbands, I  quickly found that for my head size, the smaller band or the one that came on it was a perfect fit.. The Sony MDR at the gym, when I am doing extreme moves on the pull up bar, or the sit up apparatus, the Sony's will slip. For those exercises I take the Sony headphones off. Not so for the Harman Kardon BT.. They clamp on my funny looking head like a tight fitting comfortable glove, and no slippage whatsoever. They are keepers. However, I had to send my first Harman Kardon BTs back.. One of the wires was longer then the other and was very unsightly too me. I started to put some tape on it, but hey, they have full manufacturer's warranty, and along with free shipping back..  Harman Kardon sent me a return label, and as of now, the 2nd pair of Harman Kardon BT are on the way to me..


Thats what I meant when I said that aptx can be used as a marketing tool. You said that you couldn't tell that difference between the non 1RBT in non aptx mode and aptx mode. The 1RBT is also a better set of headphones than the 10RBT. That basically means that the 1RBT in standard mode would sound better than the 10RBT in aptx mode. However if the 1RBT didn't have aptx, you wouldn't have bought it as you had assumed that it would sound worse than the aptx enabled 10RBT when in reality it isn't the case. That't what I meant when I said you can't judge the AKG purely cos of no aptx. It may well sound better in standard mode than the 1RBT does in aptx mode just like the standard 1RBT sounds better than the aptx 10RBT. It could also sound worse than both sony's. Won't be able to tell though until I've tested them out hopefully soon.

 

Same thing can be said about the Hi Res audio capability. Hi Res audio files are huge files, not really something designed for listening to in portable devices with portable headphones. Only really audiophiles would have them atm and audiophiles would never buy bluetooth headphones. You were trying to find out though if the Harman Kardon BT could play Hi Res audio files even though you would probably never need that feature (though I suspect most headphones can play them even if they don't advertise it).

 

BTW What cable are you talking about in the HK BT being longer than the other? Aren't you using them through bluetooth?


Edited by n00b2 - 4/4/14 at 8:51pm
post #56 of 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b2 View Post
 


Thats what I meant when I said that aptx can be used as a marketing tool. You said that you couldn't tell that difference between the non 1RBT in non aptx mode and aptx mode. The 1RBT is also a better set of headphones than the 10RBT. That basically means that the 1RBT in standard mode would sound better than the 10RBT in aptx mode. However if the 1RBT didn't have aptx, you wouldn't have bought it as you had assumed that it would sound worse than the aptx enabled 10RBT when in reality it isn't the case. That't what I meant when I said you can't judge the AKG purely cos of no aptx. It may well sound better in standard mode than the 1RBT does in aptx mode just like the standard 1RBT sounds better than the aptx 10RBT. It could also sound worse than both sony's. Won't be able to tell though until I've tested them out hopefully soon.

 

Same thing can be said about the Hi Res audio capability. Hi Res audio files are huge files, not really something designed for listening to in portable devices with portable headphones. Only really audiophiles would have them atm and audiophiles would never buy bluetooth headphones. You were trying to find out though if the Harman Kardon BT could play Hi Res audio files even though you would probably never need that feature (though I suspect most headphones can play them even if they don't advertise it).

 

BTW What cable are you talking about in the HK BT being longer than the other? Aren't you using them through bluetooth?

Wait a minute, you are putting words in my mouth.  I tried one set of headphones with the aptx on and off. I couldn't tell the difference in using that one set of headphones. I didn't try a set of headphones that has aptx on, against another set that does not have aptx at all.

 

Also, in your comparison above, knowing what I know now, I would pick the 10RBT ($149) over the 1RBT ($399). IMO, Sony saw their mistake and that is why they came out with the MK2 version of the   1RBT. 

 

On the Harman Kardon BT, you have a exposed cable coming from the top band to each can. The one on the right side was for some reason longer. I tried to push it either further in the can or further into the top band. Didn't work. Therefore that cable was hanging out.. IMO, it was nit picking, but I didn't llke the look of that cable hanging out, and didn't feel like I had to tape it up on a new set of phones. So, I sent it back. I must say, HK is up to snuff with their customer service and return policy.. For a refund, I would have to pay return shipping, free shipping back for exchanges.


Edited by cehowardNote3 - 4/5/14 at 1:43am
post #57 of 888
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
 

Wait a minute, you are putting words in my mouth.  I tried one set of headphones with the aptx on and off. I couldn't tell the difference in using that one set of headphones. I didn't try a set of headphones that has aptx on, against another set that does not have aptx at all.

 

Also, in your comparison above, knowing what I know now, I would pick the 10RBT ($149) over the 1RBT ($399). IMO, Sony saw their mistake and that is why they came out with the MK2 version of the   1RBT. 

 

On the Harman Kardon BT, you have a exposed cable coming from the top band to each can. The one on the right side was for some reason longer. I tried to push it either further in the can or further into the top band. Didn't work. Therefore that cable was hanging out.. IMO, it was nit picking, but I didn't llke the look of that cable hanging out, and didn't feel like I had to tape it up on a new set of phones. So, I sent it back. I must say, HK is up to snuff with their customer service and return policy.. For a refund, I would have to pay return shipping, free shipping back for exchanges.


Not trying to put words in your mouth. Just saying that your own test showed that with aptx disabled, there was no difference in sound for the 1RBT MK2 which means it still sounded better than the 10RBT with aptx on. Using that to explain that regular bluetooth can sound better than aptx bluetooth if the quality of the headphones is superior. As for the 1RBT MK1, my local sony store didn't have any left as the MK2 had come out so I haven't heard it. You are picking the 10RBT over it purely because it hasn't got aptx. It could well sound better over standard bluetooth than the 10RBT does over aptx just like the MK2 version with aptx off did, though you can't know for sure unless you try it.

 

I think I understand what you mean by the cable. Don't really like headphones that leave that connection cable exposed. Harman Kardon are even worse with their customer service in Australia. I asked them a few questions by email and they never responded. Couldn't contact them through phone. Even got the official local distributer to send a few emails to Harman Australia and they never got a response back either. Definitely not going to go with the HK BT with that level of customer service when the price is basically the same as the Sony and AKG models!

post #58 of 888

n00b2, it seems there is a big difference in the service and availability in the countries we live in.

 

Here in the USA , Harman Kardon is quick, fast, and right on point with support and service. At least that is what I have found out for my lowly $97 I paid for the HKs.. They responded quickly per my phone call, instantly issued me a free return label, and assured me as soon as the phones are received, they will ship another pair right away. They shipped the 2nd pair the day after they received the first pair.

My main two devices are my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014. both of these devices have aptx. From reading and mostly on xda-developers.com, these peeps are really into their devices, and I am sure have way better hearing than I have, claim that having or not having aptx is a Deal Breaker..  Now, that kind of recommendations means a lot to me. I have bad hearing, So, some of my auditionings might be flawed. But, these peeps on xda and andriod circles make a big thing on whether a device has aptx or not.

 

They are not doing that to hear themselves talk.

 

Audio in mobile and bluetooth, is getting better..IMO, one must go with the units that have the advance tech, whether they can tell the difference or not.. I am not going for yesterdays tech today.. 

 

That is why after researching an liking the 10RBT, but found out that 1RBT is a better unit, but lacking aptx, I passed on them, and went to an overseas vendor to acquire the 1RBTMK2, which are "gray market" to me.. I understood all of that, and still went for the MK2s, and I am a happy camper..At one time, I was thinking of adding the Parrot Zik to my collection, but now I found out that they don't have aptx, and no way, I would go $400, $300 $200, or even $150 for them, and they are going for $350 to $400.. 

 

IMO, at this stage of the  game, not talking about in the past, but where audio and mobile is at today, no way, one should get any high end bluetooth phones without aptx...

 

cheers, :beerchug: 

post #59 of 888
Thread Starter 

Yeh things like customer service and return policies are generally rubbish here in Australia. There are always exceptions with certain companies (especially Australian companies) but overall its far worse than in America or Canada. Several times when I have had a problem with something I ended up waiting til 2am and contacting the American customer service people as the local ones were useless with anything other than reading from a manual.

 

Fair enough on your reasons for choosing only aptx devices. For me though the overall sound quality is more important than the tech. My phone does have aptx though my laptop doesn't so aptx isn't really a dealkbreaker for me (though I am willing to purchase a dongle if I find aptx does make a huge difference). Whichever has the best sound overall is what I would pick regardless of if its streaming method though I guess that can't be determined until I get to try out some other headphones. AKG have been pretty rubbish with their service since the initial response and I can't find any place with some of the other recommendations on display. Guess I'll just keep hunting in the meantime.

post #60 of 888
Thread Starter 

@LiteKirby Do you have any more information about the pendulumic stance headphones? Seems like the only place anyone has heard them is the head fi meet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › High End Bluetooth Headphones