or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Advice for first audiophile headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice for first audiophile headphone - Page 2

post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The Pro 900 will have more of a immersive sound effect due to the S Logic technology that Ultrasone uses.

Ultrasone headphones are very solidly made.

The Ultrasones will need an amp to get the most out of them.

I hear the clamping force on Ultrasone headphone is pretty uncomfortable though.

post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post
 

I hear the clamping force on Ultrasone headphone is pretty uncomfortable though.

 

I can't speak for the Ultrasones but I've noticed a lot of phones that people say as having a tight clamp aren't that bad. Lots of people said the M100s are tight as hell and I just don't feel it. Then again, I think "loose" headphones feel like they're gonna fall off. I kinda like a nice snug squeeze.

post #18 of 47

Why does the driver size matter to you so much? It's not a subwoofer in the back of your car.... I really haven't noticed a difference with larger drivers.

 

They may not fit all of your criteria, but my vote is the HD 25. They're somewhat comfortable, clean but strong bass, and extremely durable. I don't know about the availability in Europe, but they shouldn't too hard to find at all.

 

Use the extra money and buy some CDs or an amp or something :)

post #19 of 47
Thread Starter 
Again thanks a lot to everyone for the input. Im leaning towards the m100 for durablitity and portability, but the Pro 900 really pulls me towards it because of S-Logic Surround sound ( my main focus is music, but i will also be gaming with it ) Again, more recommendations are welcome. Also if i would get either headphones, wich amp will i benefit from the most? I mostly care about bass and soundstage, so an amp wich boosts these things would be great. Im leaming towards either the Fiio e17 or e18 (they're both a little out of my budget tho )
Edited by rangersparta - 3/18/14 at 12:22am
post #20 of 47

M100 has a bigger sound stage than the PRO900. In terms of amping, M100 is designed to be portable, so it doesn't require much power. You can take the PRO900 a lot further via amping than you can with the M100. PRO900 has a bigger bass emphasis, M100 has about +8db bass emphasis, where as the PRO900 has +10 maybe more. They both sound really good to me, hard to go wrong with either. 


Edited by swiftW1nd - 3/18/14 at 10:50am
post #21 of 47
I agree with SomeGuyDude. The m100s are some of the best you can get for what you are looking for.
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersparta View Post

Again thanks a lot to everyone for the input. Im leaning towards the m100 for durablitity and portability, but the Pro 900 really pulls me towards it because of S-Logic Surround sound ( my main focus is music, but i will also be gaming with it ) Again, more recommendations are welcome. Also if i would get either headphones, wich amp will i benefit from the most? I mostly care about bass and soundstage, so an amp wich boosts these things would be great. Im leaming towards either the Fiio e17 or e18 (they're both a little out of my budget tho )

There is still the fiio e7 and pyle phe7ab (pretty much a rebrand of the fiio e7)

post #23 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftW1nd View Post

M100 has a bigger sound stage than the PRO900. In terms of amping, M100 is designed to be portable, so it doesn't require much power. You can take the PRO900 a lot further via amping than you can with the M100. PRO900 has a bigger bass emphasis, M100 has about +8db bass emphasis, where as the PRO900 has +10 maybe more. They both sound really good to me, hard to go wrong with either. 

Huh, most people say Pro 900 has huge soundstage for a closed back, and the m100 is described to be "compact" ( in terms of sound ) and tight? And others say the m100 has a huge soundstage.

Argh, its too hard to be an audiophile on a tight budget ( i wouldnt classify myself as an audiophile right now, but im getting there slowly). I wish i could just buy both and return the one i like the least ( or just keep em' both tongue.gif ).

And all these contradictive descriptions/experiences/opinions are making things only harder mad.gif.

And for the record, please dont take any of my words as offence . Im just a noob asking for help.
Edited by rangersparta - 3/18/14 at 3:27pm
post #24 of 47

I have 20 pair of headphones and think I have purchased my last pair - Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros (250 ohm). They M.R.S.P. for $395 and I got them on Amazon for $149. B&H Photo in N.Y. has them for $137 Today. That would even leave you money for a portable amp as the 32 ohm version of the Beyers go for full M.S. R. P. (can any one say "portable is popular so lets charge what he traffic will bear)? Good luck with your search. 

post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersparta View Post


Huh, most people say Pro 900 has huge soundstage for a closed back, and the m100 is described to be "compact" ( in terms of sound ) and tight? And others say the m100 has a huge soundstage.

 

M100 is not fully closed, it is semi close back. That's why it has great sound stage and hence it leaks slightly, I wear it on airplanes all the time though, and its not enough to bother other people sitting next to me.  S Logic is quirky, some people love it, and some hate it.  I personally love it, you should try it in person to see where you fall. 


Edited by swiftW1nd - 3/18/14 at 5:09pm
post #26 of 47

Well, it has a little vent to it, but it's not substantial enough to be considered "semi-open" is it? 

post #27 of 47
I also own the M-100's. They do have plenty of bass. They are closed-back. They are tough, mostly. They don't have much soundstage. They don't really benefit from amping (I own E18 and effect is negligible). They do have comfort issues for larger ears. They do look cool. The accessories included are second to none. Customer service seems very good.

Check out also HD25 as already mentioned. Somewhat similar qualities and even tougher. I personally hate the sound.

Good luck.
post #28 of 47
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftW1nd View Post

http://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/v-moda-crossfade-m-100-headphones
Read their review about sound stage. 

That's some review. I hadn't seen that before I bought them. To be honest though - the soundstage thing kinda depends what you're comparing them with.

But, for the OP's requirements there's probably nothing better.
post #30 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftW1nd View Post

http://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/v-moda-crossfade-m-100-headphones
Read their review about sound stage. 

Saw that too, but it the review seems so biased that it is impossible for me to trust it. He literally didnt mention even one gripe or con, so it is way to obvious that he is paid to do that review.
Edited by rangersparta - 3/18/14 at 11:18pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Advice for first audiophile headphone