Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › high-end IEM, is it worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

high-end IEM, is it worth it? - Page 2

post #16 of 28

Terminology varies with people, so this is my variant of the word punchy.

 

Punchy: Imagine punches. The bass hits you when it is present in the music, not lingering for too long. It won't overwhelm the mid-range of the music and the general presentation.

 

When i use the word "feel", I'm using it in the context of overpowering bass. That means that there's a bass boost in the frequency response of the IEM. For the SE215, it has a relatively boost bass response when compared to the GR07 BE. Don't assume that the Bass edition is going to be a bass monster. It is called bass edition because in comparision to the Mark 2 version, it has a slightly elevated bass response.

post #17 of 28

+1 on the vsonic gr07mkii bass edition. It will need considerable burn in time but will not disappoint. 

post #18 of 28

i like my se425s but i have to sell it to purchase a new stereo for my car that someone stole... 

post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
 

Terminology varies with people, so this is my variant of the word punchy.

 

Punchy: Imagine punches. The bass hits you when it is present in the music, not lingering for too long. It won't overwhelm the mid-range of the music and the general presentation.

 

When i use the word "feel", I'm using it in the context of overpowering bass. That means that there's a bass boost in the frequency response of the IEM. For the SE215, it has a relatively boost bass response when compared to the GR07 BE. Don't assume that the Bass edition is going to be a bass monster. It is called bass edition because in comparision to the Mark 2 version, it has a slightly elevated bass response.


Thanks, Artem. This is quite helpful. So if I understand your definition correctly, the punchy one gives you a nice strong bass when present in the music, but not a constant 'rumbling'? If so, that is definitely more desirable.

post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

+1 on the vsonic gr07mkii bass edition. It will need considerable burn in time but will not disappoint. 


what do you call 'considerable'?

post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 

So based on all your guys' help, it looks like my best choices are as follows:

 

1) Vsonic gr07mkII bass edition

2) Shure SE215

 

Vsonic are considerably more expensive, but apparently more solid when it comes to nice punchy base.

 

Could I get a few more people's thoughts in terms of COMFORT of the two when wearing them to go to sleep?

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbruCHes View Post
 


what do you call 'considerable'?

 

100 hours minimum. With 200 more in the sweet spot of where they settle in. 

post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

100 hours minimum. With 200 more in the sweet spot of where they settle in. 


wow, that is crazy.

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbruCHes View Post
 


wow, that is crazy.


That is, of course, if you believe in burn-in. But with casual use, you'll start to notice a difference over time anyway. You could leave the IEMs sitting on a desk or something playing a bunch of different tracks if you think burn-in will make a difference. Otherwise, I would just use them normally. Even if you think burn-in is a thing, I'd just play them normally so that you can decide if you like the sound to begin with or over time.

post #25 of 28

Here's a GR07 Vs SE215 comparison from a forumer here who has both:

 

I have both and the Shure don't even come close. The SE 215 are good for what they are, fun headphones for people that want a warm, not critical listening. They are outclassed by the V Sonics on pretty much everything, is not even a contest. In fact, they are not the best in their price bracket, and in fact even headphones that are cheaper, like the Dunu's Landmine, are better. Of course, personal preference plays a huge part in our selection, and you might prefer the Shure's sound signature. So they are not better but you might end up enjoying them more.
 
post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 

I went ahead and purchased the Vsonic GR06 - because they were available and much cheaper than the GR07 :)

 

Love the sound and comfort of them. I can really lay down on a pillow on the side of my head, and none of that sharp pain I experienced with my old Klippsch. What I'm having big issues with, however, is the cable behind the hear thing. I don't want to put on the holders that came with them, but without them one cable keeps slipping over the ear, which is a huge pain. Feels like I'm constantly readjusting.

 

When looking at the Shure SE215, they seem to have the same mechanism. Do you guys have any recommendations? I want the comfort and sound quality of the Vsonic, but none of this weird cable-behind-the-ear business :)

post #27 of 28
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post
 

Why don't you check this thread,

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-111-portable-headphones-reviewed-creative-aurvana-live-2-added-02-25-14


4270 posts and 111 reviews? I'll need to take a week vacation to work through that... :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › high-end IEM, is it worth it?