or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Thinking of getting custom molds for Universal IEMs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of getting custom molds for Universal IEMs

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hello All:

 

I just got a pair of Westone pro 30s, and have been considering getting custom molds done.  There is friendly audiologist around the corner from where I work who has offered to make impressions for a very reasonable price.

 

Is there any conventional wisdom regarding doing this?  I read in the Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones, "~~custom molded tips can also be ordered to fit universal IEMs (IEMs that are designed to use soft plastic or foam tips)."

 

I wish I could swing true customs, but I can't.  Just wondering if doing custom molds would increase sound quality over foam, and whether there is a downside.

 

Thank you very much.

 

Nick

post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas B View Post
 

Hello All:

 

I just got a pair of Westone pro 30s, and have been considering getting custom molds done.  There is friendly audiologist around the corner from where I work who has offered to make impressions for a very reasonable price.

 

Is there any conventional wisdom regarding doing this?  I read in the Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones, "~~custom molded tips can also be ordered to fit universal IEMs (IEMs that are designed to use soft plastic or foam tips)."

 

I wish I could swing true customs, but I can't.  Just wondering if doing custom molds would increase sound quality over foam, and whether there is a downside.

 

Thank you very much.

 

Nick

 

Nothing?

post #3 of 13

With custom molds you'll get the best sound quality, comfort and isolation. If it'll be a drastic increase in sound quality will depend on how well the regular tips fit in your ear. You should do it, the comfort and isolation is worth it.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas B View Post
 

Hello All:

 

I just got a pair of Westone pro 30s, and have been considering getting custom molds done.  There is friendly audiologist around the corner from where I work who has offered to make impressions for a very reasonable price.

 

Is there any conventional wisdom regarding doing this?  I read in the Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones, "~~custom molded tips can also be ordered to fit universal IEMs (IEMs that are designed to use soft plastic or foam tips)."

 

I wish I could swing true customs, but I can't.  Just wondering if doing custom molds would increase sound quality over foam, and whether there is a downside.

 

Thank you very much.

 

Nick


Westone themselves offer a dedicated custom tip for their universal range called the um56.  Whether it'll fit the new pro line you'd have to email/call to find out.  Downsides are that you could need to send them back for a refit at least once.

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorkiPoo View Post
 

With custom molds you'll get the best sound quality, comfort and isolation. If it'll be a drastic increase in sound quality will depend on how well the regular tips fit in your ear. You should do it, the comfort and isolation is worth it.

Thanks Korki.  I am off to see my friendly neighborhood audiologist this morning.  There seems to be no real downside.

 

Nick

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
 


Westone themselves offer a dedicated custom tip for their universal range called the um56.  Whether it'll fit the new pro line you'd have to email/call to find out.  Downsides are that you could need to send them back for a refit at least once.

Hi David:

 

The other downside is the $160 price tag. Yikes!  I am hoping for something more reasonable by having ear molds done in my town.  I'll post my experience.  Thanks for responding.

 

Nick

post #7 of 13
InEarz (Fisher Hearing Technology) does remolds for $90. They have gotten very good reviews for the product and customer service. There is a lengthy thread on them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/464570/inearz-fisher-hearing-custom-remold-owners-thread
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks Kyle.  That sounds a lot more reasonable.

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

InEarz (Fisher Hearing Technology) does remolds for $90. They have gotten very good reviews for the product and customer service. There is a lengthy thread on them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/464570/inearz-fisher-hearing-custom-remold-owners-thread

I just checked their website, and their new price for re-molds is $150.  So quite a bit up from $90.  And on par with the Westone MU56.  I guess one pays a premium when you want to run with the big dogs. I am waiting for a call back with a price from my friendly neighborhood audiologist.  Perhaps that will be more reasonable.

 

Nick

post #10 of 13

It is $150 for remolding a custom IEM (making a new CIEM from an old CIEM) - otherwise it is $95 to manke a CIEM from a Universal IEM

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

It is $150 for remolding a custom IEM (making a new CIEM from an old CIEM) - otherwise it is $95 to manke a CIEM from a Universal IEM


 



That's my understanding as well, though apparently I was off on the price. The website is misleading, and it's a pretty poor website overall. Kaysen said they are working on a new one. I guess CIEM's are harder to disassemble, thus the higher price for remolding them?
post #12 of 13

I've just had my UE900s reshelled by Cosmic Ears (I'm in the UK) - the crap connectors on the earpieces were just driving me round the bend.

 

First of all...  I don't think there's an improvement in isolation.  In fact, I think they isolate slightly less.  Bear this in mind.  I actually don't mind it at all, for the following reason:

Everything about the IEM has been improved.  Credit mostly to Phil of CE for this - he made his own crossover to replace the rather rubbish one in the stock UE900.  Better bass, better treble, improved soundstage, amazing clarity.  I would thoroughly recommend reshelling, providing you get damn good moulds to begin with.  The only downside is that I now hanker after a proper top tier CIEM.

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 

I guess I bit the bullet...

 

Just got back from the audiologist.  He took impressions that he will send out to have proper ear molds made.  Total cost was $150, and includes a good warranty.  They should be back in about 10 days.  Then it's back to have them fitted and adjusted, if necessary.  I am glad I did it.

 

In the past, I have gone a much less expensive route.  Here is what they look like:

 

 

Not exactly low-profile, are they?

 

 

 

 

I think what I am getting this time will be closer to:

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

 

I will keep you posted.

 

Nick

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Thinking of getting custom molds for Universal IEMs