I would like to share some experience with my DX50. I'm very happy with this player. It sounds great. The official firmware also boots once in a while and the touchscreen reacts ;-) !
As a rockbox lover and longtime user (iriver H120 since 2005, clipplus, fuze, D2, X5) I had to try Rockbox on it. And my first impression was: it cannot be used with this player because this touchscreen is much to sensitive and the rockbox touchscreen handling is not the greatest. So I tried to use the 3x3 grid mode and i was able to control the player. But it is not a very intuitive way of using it (at least no one will steel the player ;-) ). And then I stumbled over a theme called rayboradio_OB. With this theme I was able to use the standard touchscreen mode. And it looks great also. Now i didn't find the theme to be highly optimized for touchscreens so I decided to modify it myself.
Please feel free to try it out (Zip File). All credits go to Humberto Santana for the theme and to Immolate for the graphics.
The changes I did (the things I remember):
- Renamed the theme to _mod
- gave it the Version v7.3c1
- made almost all touchscreen areas bigger (this was problably the most important step)
- added a "resume" button on the Menu screen (how I missed it before...)
- added a quickmenu and a context menu button on top left and right
- removed all crossfade information and switch (is not important enough imho)
- replaced the cheap volume knob with a more durable one ;-)
- removed the clock (DX50 doesn't have one)
- replaced text like "unknown artist" with translatable tags
- replaced the logo on the main screen with the rockbox logo (sorry Humberto)
info: the volume slide control is intentional removed. In my opinion it was not usable with this touchscreen.
Here are some explanations about touchscreen areas:
Keep on rockboxing!
Edited by cholero - 5/11/14 at 1:21am