or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Good Christian rock bands?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Christian rock bands?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

My wife has recently started listening to a Christian radio station, it's not to bad but the songs do all sound very over produced and pop like.

Can anyone recommend some talented, well produced religious artists? Preferably rock but anything of high quality would be great!

post #2 of 22
Bob Dylan "Slow Train Coming", "Saved" and "Shot of Love"
post #3 of 22

What kind of rock?

 

I personally always liked Skillet, and they throw one hell of a concert. Though I listen to harder music now, and they are not the easiest to listen to after the transition.

 

Red is decent as well, but I got sick of them pretty fast.

post #4 of 22

Really depends on how heavy you want to go...

 

For contemporary, Jars of Clay is an overlooked, but incredibly talented musical band.  Unlike most other contemporary that play the same 3 notes, they really reach,  I liked their first album (Jars of Clay) and Much afraid their second album the best, though I do like all of their albums.

 

A little harder, the original Audio Adrenaline, very decent light rock, if you can find their album 'hit parade' it has most of there better stuff and you can see if you like them.

 

Anberlin is officially christian and their cities album gets mad raves, I just think they should include god more in their lyrics if they are going to be a christian band, they seem to be aiming more towards a certain crowd

 

If you like punk rock, dogwood, stretch armstrong, ghoti hook are all three some good christian punk rock bands from back in the day

 

Ska, Five Iron Frenzy and Supertones, with a nod towards Supertones simply because they have stayed true over all these years

 

When you get towards the heavier stuff you come across Flyleaf (amazing heavy rock female vocalist), Project 86 :D (Drawing Black Lines, Truthless Heroes, and the rest will follow), Demon Hunter, P.O.D. , Stavesacre :D, some of Skillets newer albums, the Benjamin Gate,  may consider Evanescence though they have left the christian scene, think they are leaning back though

 

As for Heavy rock and metal, there are many awesome choices.  Living Sacrifice comes up top, Bruce their lead singer is awesome, and he is involved with supporting and producing a lot of other christian bands, and has appeared in a lot of bands for a song or 2.

 

Haste they Day, new and old, I dont think there was a single album that they produced that was the same, and I loved everyone of them

 

Soul Embraced, a Living Sacrifice offshoot, with a different vocalist

 

Believer has re-released a very limited number of their older albums, Dimensions is the best, for if you like good Thrash Metal with a more melodic bent to it

 

Underoath :D

 

Still Breathing, Zao, Mortification, Inhale Exhale (the lost the sick and the sacred)

 

I know many more, but those are some of the highlights, If you are unsure how heavy you  are thinking to go, Flyleaf and Project 86 are good in between bands, reaching into both sides,  Some of Demon Hunters new stuff is a bit lighter too

 

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help out

post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flailure View Post
 

Really depends on how heavy you want to go...

 

For contemporary, Jars of Clay is an overlooked, but incredibly talented musical band.  Unlike most other contemporary that play the same 3 notes, they really reach,  I liked their first album (Jars of Clay) and Much afraid their second album the best, though I do like all of their albums.

 

A little harder, the original Audio Adrenaline, very decent light rock, if you can find their album 'hit parade' it has most of there better stuff and you can see if you like them.

 

Anberlin is officially christian and their cities album gets mad raves, I just think they should include god more in their lyrics if they are going to be a christian band, they seem to be aiming more towards a certain crowd

 

If you like punk rock, dogwood, stretch armstrong, ghoti hook are all three some good christian punk rock bands from back in the day

 

Ska, Five Iron Frenzy and Supertones, with a nod towards Supertones simply because they have stayed true over all these years

 

When you get towards the heavier stuff you come across Flyleaf (amazing heavy rock female vocalist), Project 86 :D (Drawing Black Lines, Truthless Heroes, and the rest will follow), Demon Hunter, P.O.D. , Stavesacre :D, some of Skillets newer albums, the Benjamin Gate,  may consider Evanescence though they have left the christian scene, think they are leaning back though

 

As for Heavy rock and metal, there are many awesome choices.  Living Sacrifice comes up top, Bruce their lead singer is awesome, and he is involved with supporting and producing a lot of other christian bands, and has appeared in a lot of bands for a song or 2.

 

Haste they Day, new and old, I dont think there was a single album that they produced that was the same, and I loved everyone of them

 

Soul Embraced, a Living Sacrifice offshoot, with a different vocalist

 

Believer has re-released a very limited number of their older albums, Dimensions is the best, for if you like good Thrash Metal with a more melodic bent to it

 

Underoath :D

 

Still Breathing, Zao, Mortification, Inhale Exhale (the lost the sick and the sacred)

 

I know many more, but those are some of the highlights, If you are unsure how heavy you  are thinking to go, Flyleaf and Project 86 are good in between bands, reaching into both sides,  Some of Demon Hunters new stuff is a bit lighter too

 

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help out


Wow, so much to check out! How could I have forgotten about Flyleaf, I remember seeing them at a festival and just being blown away by this little ladies awesome voice!

My wife is going to love the more contemporary music for around the house, thanks so much.

 

Listening to Living Sacrifice right now, loving it!

post #6 of 22

Flyleaf is christian? I thought most of her songs were about her struggles through life. I guess I do not listen to them close enough. I have always liked this song-

 

The acoustic version is surprisingly amazing as well-

 

 

I love how well she can hold notes, along with Amy Lee. I am so sick of all the people in these singing competitions who do the ayayayayayayayyayayya with their high notes.

 

If you ever start liking metal. Impending Doom is a very good full out Christian Deathcore band. As I Lay Dying has some very christian themes, despite the main singer trying to hire a hitman to kill his wife (yeah he is no longer with them). On top of that the Melo death band With Faith or Flames is pretty christian.


Edited by gamefreak054 - 3/14/14 at 4:41pm
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post

 

 

If you ever start liking metal. Impending Doom is a very good full out Christian Deathcore band.

I have a love/hate relationship with Impending Doom, some tracks I can really feel others seem to simplistic... I had no idea they were Christian.

 

Listing to We As Human right now, on the lighter side but I am loving it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
I am so sick of all the people in these singing competitions who do the ayayayayayayayyayayya with their high notes.

Just a few nights ago I was suffering through one of those shows with my kids and I said the exact same thing. Trying to teach them about music but they just call me old.......

 

EDIT: Wow, the acoustic Flyleaf tracks are literally bringing tears to my eyes. Getting the US Re-release ASAP.


Edited by bdepaauw - 3/14/14 at 5:20pm
post #8 of 22

Mortification's Scrolls of the Megilloth if you ever are jonesin' for some old school christian death(life?) metal.

post #9 of 22
Try Neal Morse. He left Spock's Beard which he founded in 2002 because he became a born again Christian. However, his solo Christian albums since then are spectacular especially "?", Sola Scriptura and Testimony. As a bonus, Mike Portney, Dream Theater's original drummer is on all his solo albums.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdepaauw View Post
 

I have a love/hate relationship with Impending Doom, some tracks I can really feel others seem to simplistic... I had no idea they were Christian.

 

Listing to We As Human right now, on the lighter side but I am loving it.

 

 

Just a few nights ago I was suffering through one of those shows with my kids and I said the exact same thing. Trying to teach them about music but they just call me old.......

 

EDIT: Wow, the acoustic Flyleaf tracks are literally bringing tears to my eyes. Getting the US Re-release ASAP.

That is one of the issues I have with deathcore, but Impending Doom is still one of the few Deathcore bands I will actually listen to. Their new album was pretty good. They are incredibly christian though, but in an old school if your not listening to the lord you will be banished to hell kinda way. Which not every one agrees with any more...

 

Anyways I was more than shocked at how good those acoustic tracks were on the album. To be perfectly honest Flyleaf is pretty hit or miss form song wise. I have an easier time listening to Evanescence as far as overall albums go. That and the song Amy Lee does with Seether is amazing (blanking on the name atm).

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

Bob Dylan "Slow Train Coming", "Saved" and "Shot of Love"

 

I don't think these people understand irony. They will just go on babbling in their own clueless way...

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdepaauw View Post
 

My wife has recently started listening to a Christian radio station, it's not to bad but the songs do all sound very over produced and pop like.

Can anyone recommend some talented, well produced religious artists? Preferably rock but anything of high quality would be great!

 

I hate to say it and I am just trying to add to the conversation, but with all due respect, it's already time to start looking for a different wife. ;)

post #13 of 22
Hmm, don't think these people understand irony eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

I don't think these people understand irony. They will just go on babbling in their own clueless way...

Not going to start a fight, just going to ignore you

But if you really want to fan some flames you can bring somebody's mother into it and bring up army boots. That way you're insults will at least match your intelligence level
post #14 of 22

Also, figured I'd post this...its a good rule for posting for all forums.  I'd quote Aretha Franklin, but just youtube r e s p e c t and while it is about a different situation, some of it is very useful for day to day posting

 

 

 

Rules And Terms of Use

 

Registration to this forum is free! By registering and continuing usage of the Head-Fi forums, you agree to abide by the rules and policies detailed below, and read, understand and agree to the FAQ and Posting Guidelines.

 

These Rules and Terms of Use are unabashedly inspired by those so effectively in use at Audio Asylum and a couple of other forums.

 

The Basics


Although the administrators and moderators of Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio, nor Huddler.com will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Head-Fi reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

 

Posting Etiquette 
 

  • Be polite. We encourage debating in the forums, but avoid defamatory statements, personal attacks, racial slurs, name-calling, and cursing at others in the forums.

 

          defamatory:  see defame below.


          defame:  1. disgrace; 2. to harm the reputation of by libel or slander.


          libel:  a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt.


          slander:  the utterance of false charges or misrepresentations which defame and damage another's reputation.

post #15 of 22

Audioslave/Soundgarden with some songs, Bill Fay

 

I'm agnostic so I don't know much else as I go for the music first, but I've noticed these artists have christian messages in their songs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Good Christian rock bands?