Pretty sure that 256kps AAC is the current standard.
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 3/17/14
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by joe, 3/20/14
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by nightmancometh, 3/17/14
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 3/17/14
Related Forum Threads
- need help choosing future high end gear Last post on 2/26/14 at 8:28am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Getting into Head-fi! Last post on 8/11/13 at 6:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
Is it worth getting really high-end headphones if your source is 320kbps audio files? - Page 20post #286 of 2897/31/15 at 10:20am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #287 of 2897/31/15 at 10:37am
I think OP's question is interesting and more complex than it looks at first.
It comes in 2 parts > the "worth" part, and then the "320kb" part.
And then it conflates the 2 parts.
The "worth" part: everyone, more or less, has their own idea of "worth".
Will 320kb files sound better in better headphones?
All else being equal?
To me, yes. I'd guess "yes" to most people.
So, for them, it would be "worth" investing more in "better" headphones.
Next - the 320kb part:
Do 320kb files sound as good through better headphones than higher bitrate files?
To me they don't - assuming very good recordings. I think lossless sound better.
But I'd guess that to most people, who listen to music for background or sheer pleasure
(as opposed to gearheads, musicians and the like analyzing every note) -
it doesn't make a difference.
Finally, it doesn't matter into which group one fits.
We're all valid in our music listening and preferences.
One doesn't have to listen to lossless files or CD's
simply because they exist.
Edited by zazex - 7/31/15 at 8:15pmpost #288 of 2897/31/15 at 11:22am
No need to overthink it. It is all just opinions, but if headphone A is generally considered to be an improvement to headphone B, this can be observed with 320 kbps content as well as lossless. Maybe lossless sounds better than 320 kbps, but that difference would barely be a notch on the total scheme of things when the differences in the transducers are brought into play.post #289 of 2897/31/15 at 7:14pmQuote:
Wow. My head hurts.
- Is it worth getting really high-end headphones if your source is 320kbps audio files?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 21 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 1 minute ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Alpha Dog not the sound signiature I was looking for. Need help... 1 minute ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256) 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2