Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Closed Circumaural PC Cans (Gaming/Movies)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Closed Circumaural PC Cans (Gaming/Movies)

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone!

 

I'm a new user here and I'm looking for a great .. no amazing first pair of cans to fit my needs!

 

1. Closed/Over-ear Headphones (as stated by title)

     :D

 

2. Primarily for Gaming and Movie watching.

     Sound quality doesn't have to be extraordinary, but I'd like them to be very good/excellent to a degree. I want the bass to be punchy and responsive, but it doesn't need to be super explosive and drown out the sound of the mids/highs.

 

3. Extraordinary Comfort.

     I am an avid gamer, and I can play for 6-7 hours at a time. They don't have to be great out-of-the box, but I'd like one that breaks in quite nicely to where I can wear them for hour on end. Extra points for being lightweight.

 

4. Premium materials: $300 or less

     Leather, pleather, light metals, quality plastic. I expect to have these cans for a years to come and I want them to last looooong.

 

 

Other bonus stuffs I hope you guys can find, but aren't necessary. Will influence my choice a lot though!

 

Long wire! or Wireless!

     Something with a 10ft/3m wire would be preferrable bc my bed is quite a ways from my PC.

 

Microphone

     Gaming w/o a mic = :( Microphone would be great, but I'd also appreciate any USB mic recommendations. Like the kind for a laptop

 

Style

     Who doesn't love a good looking set of headphones? This probably wont influence my choice at all though, lol.

 

 

 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

 

Here are some that I've researched already and seem to fit most of my needs with some trade off. Your input on my findings would also be great!

SteelSeries H Wireless

Sennheiser MOMENTUM (Short cable :(  )

Sennheiser PC350 Special Edition

Hifiman HE-400

Logitech G930

 

If you got to the end of my post, I praise you for your patience ^.^


Edited by Equistice - 3/11/14 at 4:21pm
post #2 of 9
Hmm why not open headphones? Seems like you're not going to take them outside. Open headphones have bigger soundstage than closed phone for movies and games.

I say you look into the Dt770 or hp50

Also the hifiman he400 is open

You should look at this thread. Keep in mind a lot of these phones are open
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-2-20-2014-boompro-list-chicoloms-faq-added
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'm personally not that familiar with open headphones. From what I understand, I will sacrifice a little bass responsiveness and the isolation that closed headphones offer. I love the immersion you get in games and movies so i FEEL that closed headphones may be best, but maybe a proponent of open cans can persuade me otherwise

 

Meanwhile, I'll take a look at your two suggestions! Thanks


Edited by Equistice - 3/11/14 at 6:36pm
post #4 of 9

If it's bass you're worried about in open headphones, the philips x1 will be perfect. Accentuated, but not overblown bass with a wide soundstage. It also has a review in mad lust envy's thread

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'm liking the DT700s, but the X1's also piqued my interest. I will look into those more.

 

While browsing through Amazon, I also saw some 10ft/3m long 3.5mm male-male cables. The main problem I had with the Sennheiser MOMENTUMs (MOMENTA?) is that the cable was not long enough, and I couldn't find an extra set of authentic Sennheiser cables for it at the proper length.

 

What's your opinion on the MOMENTUM for my purposes?

 

 

Also, do you have any suggestions for a quality DAC? Or would on-board sound be sufficient?

 

Thanks again for your help!

post #6 of 9

Movies and especially games tend to have lower sound quality, so a high quality dac isn't necessary. (DTS is a different story though) You're better off with something like this at the very least. It has the appropriate technology (specifically: cmss 3d headphone)  to give your headphones the important directional cues that comes from gaming or multi-channel movie audio. If you want help on soundcards that pairs well with headphones, you should post on this thread.

 

I really don't know much about closed headphones + gaming/movies (including the momentum). All i can say is that open headphones tend to be better for your purposes. If you're worried about cable length, this or this should be more than good enough for mid-fi phones.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0000 View Post

All i can say is that open headphones tend to be better for your purposes. If you're worried about cable length, this or this should be more than good enough for mid-fi phones.

Agreed. Open headphones have a bigger soundstage, which makes them much more immersive for music and gaming, and they provide better positional audio for FPS. If you don't have to have the isolation of closed headphones, open is the way to go if you pick out some that have good bass (a plus for movies). Plus, open headphones allow some air into the headphone, which helps to keep your ears from warming up.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 are at a really good price right now on Amazon. But they do need a soundcard with a built in headphone amp to drive them well. A lot of people find the Beyers very comfortable.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Agreed. Open headphones have a bigger soundstage, which makes them much more immersive for music and gaming, and they provide better positional audio for FPS. If you don't have to have the isolation of closed headphones, open is the way to go if you pick out some that have good bass (a plus for movies). Plus, open headphones allow some air into the headphone, which helps to keep your ears from warming up.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 are at a really good price right now on Amazon. But they do need a soundcard with a built in headphone amp to drive them well. A lot of people find the Beyers very comfortable.

 

What is the difference in the 250ohm and 32ohm models, qualitatively? I understand that the greater the impedance, the stronger the amp must be to drive it, but that's a very basic knowledge.

 

That being said, the open phones are drawing me in more and more. But, after some research, a sound card might not really be necessary. I might get a dedicated USB DAC/Amp for a fraction of the price instead. Will investigate more into that before purchasing though.

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equistice View Post

What is the difference in the 250ohm and 32ohm models, qualitatively? I understand that the greater the impedance, the stronger the amp must be to drive it, but that's a very basic knowledge.

Not exactly right. There are amps that can run 250 ohm headphones that are not well-suited for 32 ohms. However, most portable devices do well with lower impedance headphones, that's the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equistice View Post

That being said, the open phones are drawing me in more and more. But, after some research, a sound card might not really be necessary. I might get a dedicated USB DAC/Amp for a fraction of the price instead. Will investigate more into that before purchasing though.

For gaming, you might want a soundcard. Soundcards have DSP to take multichannel sound from games and movies and mix it into 2 channel headphone output that many feel make for a more immersive gaming experience and improve the positional audio for FPS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Closed Circumaural PC Cans (Gaming/Movies)