I've been using Head-fi as a reference for anything audio related for a couple years now. Everyone's experience here is invaluable and helped me with both sets of headphones I have purchased since becoming an audiophile (at least I'd like to think so). So I'd just like to thank everyone here to start off.
My first headphones were a pair of cheap on-ear Sony MDR-ZX100's. They weren't that bad for $20, but after about six months, I wanted something better. So after some research and references by people I knew, I bought a pair of Pioneer HDJ-1500's. After about 18 months, my friend popped off one of the interior panels in the headband and superglued it back on; locking the left-side adjustment slider in place. So, I immediately bought a pair of HDJ-2000's (which Best Buy has stopped carrying along with the 1500's and 1000's, in North Carolina at least). I'd heard here on Head-fi, elsewhere, and from a few DJ's and audiophiles I know that they were very good headphones. I love both of them, and still use both of them to this day (I managed to get rid of the superglue in the 1500's).
Before I even owned the MDR-ZX100's, I was using a Sony Walkman NWZ-E364 to play my Mp3's. Five years later and it's nearing its memory limit. It'll hold about 50 more 5-minute, 320Kbps songs.
I'd like to be proactive and buy a new Mp3 player, except this time I have some requirements other than "something that's not Apple." I'd like one that:
- Is not an Apple product. That doesn't change. I still don't like that corporation.
- Can play .mp3, .wav, and FLAC songs. The Walkman does not like WAV's and won't even recognise FLAC files.
- Has an equaliser (preferably more than the 5-band EQ of the Walkman, and I don't really care for factory presets).
- 16+GB for now.
* Not really necessary, and most of them have language settings, but I'd like to be able to set the language to German like my Walkman (I like to still use it as much as possible). Most of the time, this isn't a problem, but some devices only have an "English/ Español/ Français" setting.
* I don't keep videos on it. Wasted space in my opinion.
I'd appreciate any recommendations on what make/model I should buy. My soft ceiling is about $150 - hard ceiling is around $250-275 (though I'd like more than 16GB for that price).
I'm also about to upgrade my phone to a Samsung Galaxy Note II or 3. If anyone has any experience with it, and knows if it can do these things, that'd be nice too.
As always, thanks to anyone here that can help. I love the community here for that.
Edited by EPL4TZ - 3/10/14 at 11:18pm