Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › [Multi-Review] Hifiman HM901, Fiio X5, Sony ZX1, Hisound Studio 3rd Anv, iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Multi-Review] Hifiman HM901, Fiio X5, Sony ZX1, Hisound Studio 3rd Anv, iPhone 4 - Page 21

post #301 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN94Master View Post


Decided upon the hdp. Could you tell me more about the bugs it?Heard a LOT of complaints on it.But everyone just ignored that for the SQ.
 

 

As I mentioned above, it should get an upgrade to the latest drivers, and it is not a good idea to install anything else on the player as that will make it more buggy than it sometimes is.

Also, it can take awhile for it to see all the music you put on a card.

I have no problems with mine, other than when I change a lot of music files, then I just leave it plugged into the wall charger and things sort themselves out within an hour or so.

 

It has read both SD cards that I have used, formatted correctly for DAP's. It plays all my music fine. Some have reported constant rebooting, but I think that may be because they have installed other things, or have not updated to latest firmware. I don't have that problem.

 

You can probably get more info at the R10 thread.

 

Good choice, by the way.

post #302 of 317

excuse my ignorance and not having read all the pages in this thread. My question is, how does a laptop pc sound compared to a zx1 ?  let's say no amp or dac is connected to the pc. 

 

cheers.

post #303 of 317
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toears View Post
 

excuse my ignorance and not having read all the pages in this thread. My question is, how does a laptop pc sound compared to a zx1 ?  let's say no amp or dac is connected to the pc. 

 

cheers.

 

It really depends. The headphone jacks of most laptops are riddled with noise, and the electrical signals of the motherboard can be clearly heard. Some are extremely clean.  It all depends on the model of your PC, and the type of sound card it has built in.

post #304 of 317
So sound improvement-wise I might be better off with my laptop and foobar? Are there any threads reviewing pc and soundcards?
post #305 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by toears View Post

So sound improvement-wise I might be better off with my laptop and foobar? Are there any threads reviewing pc and soundcards?

Don't listen much through my laptop, but I got a Dragonfly and I was good to go!

post #306 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

 

So far, the bottom line of my feelings is: get a dap that is ergonomic, easy to use, gives you features that you value, decent battery life, high capacity and play all your files. The SQ difference in between daps are "way less" important than the headphones-c/iems and mastering quality. At this moment I can't say convert all your files to 320 kbps mp3 and call it a day but I can say, 16bit cd quality is actually more than enough, the rest seems like a waste of space and battery especially in portable life.

 

 

you nailed it in just 3 lines, sir.

post #307 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post
 

 

 

you nailed it in just 3 lines, sir.


Thank you kind sir :beerchug:

post #308 of 317

Oh here Eke give this thread of mine a Read, I pulled out my old iPod Nano... it sounds terrible 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740059/so-really-whats-the-difference-an-experiment-and-comparative-review#post_10996988

 

I'll be comparing DAC to DAC in a few days 

post #309 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Oh here Eke give this thread of mine a Read, I pulled out my old iPod Nano... it sounds terrible 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740059/so-really-whats-the-difference-an-experiment-and-comparative-review#post_10996988

 

I'll be comparing DAC to DAC in a few days 


We all know that one should use the LOD and amp it to be on par with more powerfull DAPs.

post #310 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 


We all know that one should use the LOD and amp it to be on par with more powerfull DAPs.

Um no we don't, this is an article more for my Blog than anything. An a lot of my blog readers don't know that. How ever, the second part of the experiment is with a LOD Cable,


Edited by Mshenay - 10/29/14 at 6:55am
post #311 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Um no we don't, this is an article more for my Blog than anything. An a lot of my blog readers don't know that. How ever, the second part of the experiment is with a LOD Cable, but I don't know why I bothered posting here, you/ You guys are very selective readers 
In the end you are one of us too...
post #312 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post


In the end you are one of us too...

Yea that's tru 

 

but honestly, the Thread is there more for my Blog and my in real life friends, the people who ask me "is it really worth it" to them there is no differance between the iPod an MS1i and the HM901 Line out to PB2 and W1000x, they just see "more stuff" more to carry around 

 

I was also curious, as the iPod was my first DAP I kinda wanted to know what I had gained in the last few years.

 

Anyways the iPOD LOD will b in today. I'll do more constructive listening later, as Stage 1's goal isn't to draw any conclusion between the iPod VS the HM901. More along the lines of "Consumer Standard VS AudioPhile Botique" 

 

regular people listen right out of an iPod of iPhone, primarly it's only us "audioPhiles" buying these botique players and listening to them with amps via a line out. But hey, even if you think I'm just a ranting moron and you disregard everything I say. I still get to enjoy my hm901  

post #313 of 317

Is this comparison really true?

 

All this time, I thought that my DX90 was vastly superior to my old iPod Classic 5th Gen, and that a HiFiMAN HM-901 would be vastly superior to my DX90.

 

I never got to compare my DX90 to my old iPod Classic because it broke down about 2 months before I could afford a DX90.

 

If the differences between an iPhone 4S and a HiFiMAN HM-901 are only 'slight' differences, then what is the purpose of this all?

 

What did I spend $360 on a DX90 for? What is an HM-901 made for when you can get a listening experience only slightly different from an iPhone, when an iPhone doesn't even have serious audio components?

 

This comparison was rather bewildering, as it's completely different from my previous understanding of Hi-Fi Audio.

 

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I've not been able to compare any of those DAP's you mentioned. But, I also don't know if I believe you or not. It's just so...strange, what you are saying. It's even more alarming when other people agree with you. :blink:

 

Enlighten me :beerchug:

post #314 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insatiable One View Post
 

Is this comparison really true?

 

All this time, I thought that my DX90 was vastly superior to my old iPod Classic 5th Gen, and that a HiFiMAN HM-901 would be vastly superior to my DX90.

 

I never got to compare my DX90 to my old iPod Classic because it broke down about 2 months before I could afford a DX90.

 

If the differences between an iPhone 4S and a HiFiMAN HM-901 are only 'slight' differences, then what is the purpose of this all?

 

What did I spend $360 on a DX90 for? What is an HM-901 made for when you can get a listening experience only slightly different from an iPhone, when an iPhone doesn't even have serious audio components?

 

This comparison was rather bewildering, as it's completely different from my previous understanding of Hi-Fi Audio.

 

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I've not been able to compare any of those DAP's you mentioned. But, I also don't know if I believe you or not. It's just so...strange, what you are saying. It's even more alarming when other people agree with you. :blink:

 

Enlighten me :beerchug:


Do a volume matched, blind ABX test, it will give you the truth. Apart from that, nothing can really show you the difference. You might ask help from a friend to change the daps/cables while you are just closing your eyes and focusing what you are hearing.

 

Just to let you know, I did it. I found similar results to the OPs findings and I appreciate his experience too. Yes there is a difference but you gotta ask yourself, is it worth it? Paying 2000 dollars for a dap, 500 dollars for a cable etc etc. Also there are other factors like battery life, UI, size/shape, capacity etc etc.

 

In my view, 2 things are A LOT more important than the rest of the chain.

 

1. The monitors. Whether they are speakers, iems or headphones. Get the best one you can get, use your money in these things.

2. The quality of the recordings. Mind you I am not talking about bitrates or samples rates here. A good mastered track will sound good on 320kbps mp3 too trust me. Again, I am repeating, yes there are differences (minor to be honest, not a day and night differences) but do you want to use 800 mb for 1 album in your limited capacity dap while using it on to go in a noisy subway or bus? Keep the DSDs and all other high res things in your home setup where you have 10000 dollars worth DACs, AMPs and open back high quality headphones in a silent and peaceful environment.

post #315 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

In my view, 2 things are A LOT more important than the rest of the chain.

 

1. The monitors. Whether they are speakers, iems or headphones. Get the best one you can get, use your money in these things.

2. The quality of the recordings. Mind you I am not talking about bitrates or samples rates here. A good mastered track will sound good on 320kbps mp3 too trust me. Again, I am repeating, yes there are differences (minor to be honest, not a day and night differences) but do you want to use 800 mb for 1 album in your limited capacity dap while using it on to go in a noisy subway or bus? Keep the DSDs and all other high res things in your home setup where you have 10000 dollars worth DACs, AMPs and open back high quality headphones in a silent and peaceful environment.

So the difference between a DX90 + Shure SE215 vs DX90 + VSonic GR07 would be a bigger difference than DX90 + GR07 vs X5 + GR07? (Because, acccording to you, the difference in bigger between Monitors rather than between DAP's)

 

and lol i don't have 10,000 dollars worth of DACs, Amps, and open back high-end headphones at home, do you? :rolleyes: (I wish I did, Cavalli Liquid Gold man, I can dream)

I do like how you say open back headphones ;) i love my HE-400s, I really want to try out a pair of Sennheiser's

 

where do you get "good mastered tracks"? I've been spending some money on HD Tracks but damn, its expensive! a little too expensive, I think.

I've also been looking at the pono player's online store for music, but it's not open yet to people who did not preorder the pono player. Really looking forward to that online music store from pono because it has a lot of music, and I mean A LOT. It has way more stuff the HD Tracks doesn't have.


Edited by Insatiable One - 11/9/14 at 9:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › [Multi-Review] Hifiman HM901, Fiio X5, Sony ZX1, Hisound Studio 3rd Anv, iPhone 4