- Budget - £300
- Uses - 45% music - 35% gaming - 20% movies
- Source - Desktop, Mp3 Player, Smartphone, PS3, Xbox 360
- Requirements for Isolation - I need isolation from the noise of my 8 year-old sister and to make sure she doesn't hear what I'm listening to
- Preferred Type of Headphone - I would like something portable but also full-sized, if that's possible
- Preferred tonal balance - Neutral, warm, clear, as little sibilance as possible
- Past headphones - No experience with high quality headphones. I've always used in-earphones
- Preferred Music - Heavy Metal, Rock, Folk, Hip-Hop, Alternative
- Location - Ireland (EU/UK)
- Other information - I don't mind paying £150-ish for the headphones and then another £150-ish for a portable desktop amp/DAC
- Headsets in mind (Headphones) - Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 Pro, PSB M4U1, AKG K550, Audio Technica ATH-M50, AD700X, Sony MDR-7506, V-Moda Crossfade M-100, Grado SR225is
- Headsets in mind (Gaming Headsets) - Beyerdynamic MMX300, Logitech G930, Astro A40/50, Steelseries H Wireless, Sennheiser PC 363D, Turtle Beach Ear Force XP510
So although I'm not new to audio, I am unsure on what to do. I need a new set of headphones for gaming on my PC, 360 and PS3; listening to music, both on the go and at home; and watching movies. I have a budget of around £300. My computer does not have a dedicated sound card, but it does have a decent inbuilt sound chip and software.
I would like something relatively portable, reliable, comfortable, sound isolating, neutral and clear in its sonic signature, surround sound, and versatile for a variety of different applications. I am a guitarist who is very loyal to tube amplifiers, but I also want something compact. The two units I'm looking at are the Aune T1 for my desktop and FiiO E12 for my portable unit.
If I've missed anything then let me know.