Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Musical Fidelity MF100 , my newest love.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Musical Fidelity MF100 , my newest love. - Page 2

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalJoey View Post


I haven't tried actively bending them with my hands, but did hook them over an extra-thick sofa back and kept them there while not using them at first.

I don't know if the band has a metal strip inside which could be bent, or is just plastic, which could snap. If the latter, perhaps heating it with a hairdryer while clamped around something a bit wider than you head (and leaving it to cool) could do the trick, but it's all at your own risk, obviously.

On the other hand, your head could be smaller than mine and you'll have no worries.

I have a big head, according to my wife anyway biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the info!
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnottj View Post


I have a big head, according to my wife anyway biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the info!


The idea of heating the headband is untried by me, but based on the childhood days when my optician used to adjust the fitting of my National Health Service spectacles by holding them close to the gas fire in his office before bending them into a more fitting shape. Some plastics are more pliable than others, and some more receptive to adopting new shapes than others.

 

Be careful, be gentle.

post #18 of 25

I've received my pair today (XD for £50, look mint, all accessories).

 

I'm hugely impressed with these. They're like mini AKG550's with added bass to my ears (what I was looking for). I've only been playing music on them for 2 hours and I'm hooked, I haven't noticed the treble spike I've read about. The soundstage is amazing for a closed set of cans (but not as good as the 550's IMHO), bass is tight, deep and controlled, no boom. They just sound so natural and musical (no pun intended) to my ears. 

 

The only downside I can see so far is the head clamping force but they'll probably loosen over time, I'm not overly worried about it. I take them off for a minute every hour or so and it's fine.

 

Personally, I think they're an awesome portable alternative to the 550's. That's what I'm going to use them for, AKG550's for home use, MF100 for portable use.

 

For the record, although I had them for £50, I would have been more than happy to pay the £120 or so. I took a punt on these, I figured I could sell them if I wasn't happy but these are definitely keepers.

 

My mind is boggling to the fact that they are so under the radar and not recommended more often on here. :L3000: 


Edited by taffy2207 - 4/28/15 at 6:55am
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy2207 View Post
 

I've received my pair today (XD for £50, look mint, all accessories).

 

I'm hugely impressed with these. They're like mini AKG550's with added bass to my ears (what I was looking for). I've only been playing music on them for 2 hours and I'm hooked, I haven't noticed the treble spike I've read about. The soundstage is amazing for a closed set of cans (but not as good as the 550's IMHO), bass is tight, deep and controlled, no boom. They just sound so natural and musical (no pun intended) to my ears. 

 

The only downside I can see so far is the head clamping force but they'll probably loosen over time, I'm not overly worried about it. I take them off for a minute every hour or so and it's fine.

 

Personally, I think they're an awesome portable alternative to the 550's. That's what I'm going to use them for, AKG550's for home use, MF100 for portable use.

 

For the record, although I had them for £50, I would have been more than happy to pay the £120 or so. I took a punt on these, I figured I could sell them if I wasn't happy but these are definitely keepers.

 

My mind is boggling to the fact that they are so under the radar and not recommended more often on here. :L3000: 

Mine do not clamp quite as firmly as they did when I first got them, or at least that's the impression I get. But they are still quite tight; just not uncomfortable (for me). For £50, you have a bargain!

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalJoey View Post
 

Mine do not clamp quite as firmly as they did when I first got them, or at least that's the impression I get. But they are still quite tight; just not uncomfortable (for me). For £50, you have a bargain!

  Yeah, looking at the pads, I figure they'll soften a bit. They do seem a massive bargain, there's not a mark on them and they're fully guaranteed. I don't think they were touched. I bought them from a specialist dealer who I've dealt with for years. Maybe with them being under the radar they were hardly tried by buyers. I've had them on for 3 hours now, pure bliss :)

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy2207 View Post
 

  Yeah, looking at the pads, I figure they'll soften a bit. They do seem a massive bargain, there's not a mark on them and they're fully guaranteed. I don't think they were touched. I bought them from a specialist dealer who I've dealt with for years. Maybe with them being under the radar they were hardly tried by buyers. I've had them on for 3 hours now, pure bliss :)

Which pads are you using? For comfort, I much prefer the suede-effect ones.

 

I bought mine new and they sounded a bit harsh, but after many hours' playing sounds through them (without listening), I popped them on my head again and found them a delight to listen to.

 

Incidentally, I went a few months without using them, and they needed a bit of playing time to smooth out again. But they were nowhere near as rough initially and didn't require as much play as the initial soften-up session.

 

Maybe they flew under the radar because people sampled them straight out of the box. I can imagine they didn't go down too well if that was the case.

post #22 of 25

I'm not using the suede effect ones yet. I'm going to try the normal pads until my head fully adjusts to the sound and then try experimenting. I played them straight for about 4 hours and the sound got better, the highs mellowed a little. It'll be interesting to see in a couple of days or weeks how they sound to me then. I can't imagine them getting much better, but you never know.

post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy2207 View Post
 

I'm not using the suede effect ones yet. I'm going to try the normal pads until my head fully adjusts to the sound and then try experimenting. I played them straight for about 4 hours and the sound got better, the highs mellowed a little. It'll be interesting to see in a couple of days or weeks how they sound to me then. I can't imagine them getting much better, but you never know.

When I first bought them, I plugged them into a radio and left them playing for about 24 hours inside a cupboard, so I couldn't hear them during that period. They may have broken in well before then, I don't know, but they sounded a lot better afterwards.


Edited by PalJoey - 4/28/15 at 1:56pm
post #24 of 25

Yeah, I don't believe in headphone burn in, I totally believe in head burn in though. Each to their own though.


Edited by taffy2207 - 4/29/15 at 1:08am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy2207 View Post
 

Yeah, I don't believe in headphone burn in,, I totally believe in head burn in though. Each to their own though.

Fair enough, but in my experience, they like to get a good run-in and to be kept active. I didn't listen to them in between first try and several hours later, and at each time I compared them to my old Sennheisers. It may be just a perception thing, but the treble seemed to smooth out a lot. But yours, being ex-dem, may have had a bit of a burn-in before you first heard them. BTW, I've not noticed any massive burn-in difference with any of my previous cans; just the MFs.

 

Whether you agree or not, they are nice cans. But the alcantara pads are much nicer than the leatherette ones, so give 'em a try. They are fiddly to replace until you get the knack, though.


Edited by PalJoey - 4/28/15 at 2:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Musical Fidelity MF100 , my newest love.